Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Advice on Classic (Non-expansion)

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Magos, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Magos

Magos IncGamers Member

Advice on Classic (Non-expansion)

Played expansion for so long I thought I would try out playing some non-expansion characters.

Can anyone give me some advice or point me to any on what is missing from the game (apart from act 5 :p ) in terms of items etc. and what is different.

Many thanks.

2. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

No runes or jewels.

No elite items (at all).

No exceptional Uniques (AFAIK - they weren't introduced into Classic in 1.07, to my knowledge).

Lots of affixes are expansion only (eg. Cruel isn't in Classic).

Items spawn with a fixed number of sockets (AFAIK), and sockets never appear on body armour.

No class-specific items.

I've probably missed a few things, but that's what I remember...

(Is 'The Countdown' still in Classic, ie. the 'Game ending in xx seconds' after Diablo's death? I keep meaning to try Classic again but never seem to find the time...)

3. Magos

Magos IncGamers Member

Thanks Shade; much appreciated. Yes countdown is still in game after Diablo. Is gambling the same as in expansion ? (ie no gambling for uniques)

4. Inu

Inu Banned

Classic was much more fun and provided much more challenge and variety than LoD in 1.09. With 1.1 they killed Classic and revived LoD. You picked a bad time to go Classic :}~

5. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

eh, more "challenge" and "variety"?...oh well, each entitled to our opinions.

Anyway, you can gamble uniques in expansion AFAIK.

6. Inu

Inu Banned

Yeah I was kinda hinting at the fact that you could not get godly legit items in a week as you could/can in LoD :p

7. PreGenitor

PreGenitor Banned

It's not that the players left it behind, blizzard felt the need to hit where more room for expansion was needed.

The difference between a godly in classic to expac are purely astounding. A great baba can do maybe at most, the min dmg a average baba can do min on xpac.

Soul scratch swords are mainstream now, whereas they were abit more rare in .09. Mostly all rares now actually are pretty balanced to the elite's to the novice thanks to alot of ebay (resulting in no skill but good gear baba).

Pros:
    Easy to become godly due to mainstream dupe availability
    Resistence is easy (far too easy) to max (since its min is -50% and not -100%)
    Can be argued, but leveling on classic is abit tougher, making more of a challenge to the "norm" of crowds
    Better crowds in classic too IMO
    IAS does not matter in duels

Cons:
    Easy to become godly due to mainstream dupe availability
    No ignore def mods in high dmg weapons
    Cant have external character forces (tele on barb for example)
    No way in hell can you get lvl 40+ skills
    MF can be easy, even with low mf, you can still get godlies (I got 509 silks with 56% mf before in NM)
    Cant unsocket items/upgrade items

So as you can see, the pros/cons to play classickinda even themselves out, there might be a few more for each side, and of course some can be argued either way. I personally love classic more than Xpac, but thats because im a whole lot better with the rule system of classic, and more rich than alot of the ebayin guys too :clap:

To not stray to far from the topic, now the more "in" builds for each are as followed:

Baba:"tweaker"->the use of twitch, swordback shield, goblin toe boots, angelics ammy/rings, Ghoul fist, cruel visage and a high dmg bhammer. This makes out a baba that has a cool 3-4k life and block alot of hits.

Sorc: Fire ball->Much like xpac build, the classic build can annihilate most players with hardly any res. Gear is very flexible for either + skills, life or a mixture of both.

Pally:FOH/hammerdin->Huge dmg thanks to synergies. lvl 30 FOH with synergies maxed can do 3k light dmg and any decent hammerdin with synergies maxed (using concetration) can achieve 9k+ dmg. Gear is flexible to your needs and wat ucan afford.

Necro: Boner->max bone spirit and the bone skills and you got a nice dueler. No need for high life if your bshield absorbs supa dmg and u cast bprison with decrep to hit for big points on Bspirit and piss some guys off alot :)

Zon: *cough*HEY LOOK OVER THERE*cough*

Tats about it, did not go into gear much because its so flexible to each player. Some like + skills at the expense of res/life or whatever and some dont. But beware, on each char hold a 120% light/fire or cold res shield. It will save ur life one day. :thumbsup:

8. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

edit weird