Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Advice on a weird build I'm trying...

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Gnoggen, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Gnoggen

Gnoggen IncGamers Member

Advice on a weird build I'm trying...

I looked in the strategy compendium and couldn't find any builds similar to the one I am planning (and have at level 13 at the moment). This is a purely fun build, not designed to be able to beat hell Baal or anything, I just want to see if I can get it to be somewhat effective. Here is the concept, A sorceress whose whole attitude in life is, "You can hit me, but it is going to hurt you a lot more than it hurts me." Now, the way I plan on building this sorceress is to work on these few skills:

Main Skill: Shiver Armor

Synergies: Frozen Armor, Chilling Armor
    FA and CA each add +9% dmg and 10 seconds to Shiver Armor.

I have no worldly idea what this dmg will equate to with all 3 skills maxed. It probably won't be super high, but it should be enough to maybe get through nightmare, assuming I don't run into too many cold resistant mobs.

Adding dmg from other sources, like a 3 perfect skull shield (60 dmg) could help boost the effectiveness I think. It would also help vs. the monsters that are cold resistant. (Hey, every little bit counts, right?)

I have NEVER played a sorceress past level 20, so I have a big question in regards to her skill set...

Does Mana Shiled stack with the FA/SA/CA series? I have no idea. If they do stack, it might be possible to use mana shield to take some dmg instead of my HP. My mana pool is basically useless in this build since I am only casting long lasting defensive spells, in fact at level 13 I have put no stat points into mana. The whole concept of this build requires being hit. I have to find some way to not get killed before they take the dmg. This will require advancing into areas slowly enough not to get totally mobbed.

I also want advice on the MERC I'll be using. I'm really hesitant on this one. There are sooooo many ways to think about it. In normal mode I could either use a prayer merc (which is probably what I'll do to keep my hp regenerating after taking my medicine!) or I could theoretically make good use of an act1 merc to stand back and take shots at them while I am holding their attention letting them surround me so they can hit me and subsequently die. I'm leaning toward the prayer merc. In nightmare I could get the act 2 thorns merc. This helps with the whole, you hit me you take a lot of dmg theme.

Problems with this build:
    1.) Ranged attack mobs.
    Whether shooting arrows, or dropping meteors on my head I won't be able to do much to these guys. I plan on equiping my sorc with decent weaponry and charging them with melee. The merc is also gonna have to pull his own weight.

Equipment:
    Uh, I'm thinking anything with a dmg dealing component. Maybe time to use those "10% chance to cast yada yada" items? Maybe try to equip her with as much replenish life as possible?

Once again, I'm doing this to try something new. I want to try a non cookie cutter build. I'm going softcore because is just an experiment and since the build requires getting the crap kicked out of me it seems highly likely I'll get taken down. Probably more than once!
    If anybody has any comments/suggestions/advice on this build or if you happen to know what kind of dmg the cold based defensive series has when fully synergized, let me know! Peace, out!
    -G

2. Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane IncGamers Member

Fully synergised, with no +skills you'll deal 276-328 damage each time you're hit.

...Good luck :lol:

3. Gnoggen

Gnoggen IncGamers Member

Not awesome, but still that's better than I thought it would be! Thanks for the info! May I ask where you got it?

4. Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane IncGamers Member

I don't think linking to the particular site is allowed, but google "chippydip" and it's the first (and second) link

5. EnerSense

EnerSense IncGamers Member

Don't forget you can check the Sorceress Guide Library in the Sorceress Forum for other build suggestions.

6. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

You could always put 20 points in enchant or use demon limb, get a might merc and swing the trusty old ribcracker. 50% Crushing blow plus ~1k damage will kill stuff even if your armours don't. (and I'm pretty sure they won't)

7. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

i did not see this in your post, so make sure you max cold mastry also with those armors

8. Gnoggen

Gnoggen IncGamers Member

true...

True, but the whole point to this build is a penchant for dealing dmg the most unconventional way i could think of, by getting the crap kicked out of me! lol

9. Gnoggen

Gnoggen IncGamers Member

Will that help with the dmg dealt directly, or merely by negating some of the cold resistance? Either way it is worth doing, but that takes the skill set up to 85 or so and I can promise you I'll never get her that high. I may have to go smaller on that. Like I said earlier, I'd be surprised if I could get past nightmare.

10. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Of course cold mastery helps the damage. -100% Resis is basically as good as double damage. More if the thing had some resis to begin with. But it won't really help cold armours, I think. Monster healing will pwn you. If you're using a merc that is what will do the damage for ya.

11. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

well most definateley put a few points into it mebbie not maxed

12. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Hmm... you're going to need as many +skills as you can possibly get, and some very elite items to even come close to tolerable damage. Some stuff you'll probably need, or at least really want:

Thorns Merc?
    Wand of IM or LR on switch?
    ES/TK
    Nightwing's Veil
    Death's Fathom
    Arachnid Mesh
    CoH or Shiver Armour 15% cold Ormus
    +3 Cold Amulet
    +3 Cold Circlet
    An inventory full of skillers
    Ber runes
    Runeword Mod, for Conviction Aura

13. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Kick me Sorc
    was one of my first threads on this forum and was mainly a use masteries to boost ctc on being struck, it may be similar to what you're looking to do.

I have some ideas as far as items to combine for high damage when struck, its amazing to see fully synegized hydras attack some one who hit you first. :thumbsup: nice idea I hope you enjoy the challenge.

14. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Believe it or not, I had the same idea too before too :)

Skills looks like something like this:

Maxed 3 cold armours
    CM 1
    Maxed TK

You want maxed resists if possible, a high life and hopefully high mana too.

Possible equipment:

Spike thorn
    Defense: 325.6-410 (varies)(Base Defense: 147-163)
    Required Level: 70
    Required Strength: 118
    +120-150% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    +30% Faster Hit Recovery
    Damage Reduced By 15-20% (varies)
    + (1.375 Per Character Level) Attacker Takes Damage of 1-136 (Based On Character Level)

Socketed (1)

Scacen's chance: lvl 2 iron maiden when struck,
    Tiamat's rebuke.
    Ironpelt (to work with TK)

15. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I don´t really understand what you mean here. Shiver Armor boosts Defense and damages opponents that attack you in melee. Energy Shield makes you lose less life and takes some of the "damage" out on the mana instead (as long as there is mana left). In what way could they possibly "stack"?

Good luck, this an insane build. I recommend /players 1 from the moment you start using SA.

16. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

IIRC Razortail belt also returns 1dmg/lvl

17. Gnoggen

Gnoggen IncGamers Member

Hmmm..

I'll have to search through my ATMA stashes to be sure, but of the equipment you guys listed I KNOW I have a Tiamat's rebuke and and Iron Pelt. I have actually been playing on /players 1 the whole time. I got her up to level 15 last night and she is currently chilling at the jail level 1 waypoint. I really need to twink her, or I won't get very far. So far she has been using only self found equipment, but her resists/life really suck so she is taking some sevgere punishment. I've almost died a couple times already from Skelle Archer bosspacks. I didn't even TRY going after coldcrow. Tell you what, though, the melee mobs that come after me take a swing and die. When that happens I just chuckle.

To clarify what I was asking about mana shield....
    Can mana shield be active at the same time Shiver Armor is, for example?

If it CAN be active at the same time, it would maybe worth investing some points in that direction to help mitigate the damage, especially the magic damage. If it can't be active at the same time it isn't worth doing because I don't want to have to 'drop' my shiver armor (my main dmg) in order to put up my mana shield.

Also I need to find out if the act of swinging at me is enough to have my shiver armor damage the mobs. It would appear so from my observations, but I'm not 100% certain. If just attacking me is enough to get the dmg from shiver armor, it would be worth putting enough points into dex to max my blocking.

18. corax

corax IncGamers Member

max energy shield + TK and the 3 armours.

interesting

19. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Yes, they can be active at the same time. And yes, you will probably have use for Energy Shield, since your build isn´t exactly mana intensive. :D

Just remember that if you are in a hot situation that you want to Teleport out of, drink a rejuve first, because your mana is most likely depleted...

Some items (like Nightsmoke) can help the ES to stay up longer, as you will get some of the mana back when you get hit.

Yes, they only need to attack (unlike Frozen Armor, where they have to hit you for it to trigger). That´s why I think it´s such a good skill for melee sorcs (or any sorc for that matter).

Blocking will help a lot.

20. Ulanji

Ulanji IncGamers Member

This is great! :lol: I had this exact thought a couple weeks ago, then thought "naaahh, too much work". But I can see how it might be fun if you just focus on taking your time and having fun -- not on advancing fast or finding good items.

Another (insane) item suggestion - 'Bramble' Armor: RAL OHM SUR ETH. Obviously, more elite than I'll ever get! However, it seems ideally tailored to ANY build that involves the phrase "thank you sir may I have another!"

Level 15-21 Thorns Aura When Equipped (varies)
    Level 13 Spirit of Barbs (33 Charges)
    +50% Faster Hit Recovery
    +25-50% To Poison Skill Damage (varies)
    +300 Defense
    Increase Maximum Mana 5%
    Regenerate Mana 15%
    +5% To Maximum Cold Resist
    Fire Resist +30%
    Poison Resist +100%
    +13 Life After Each Kill

Just think of the skellie-master necro wearing this thing! *drool*