Advice on a frenzy barb?

leetserv

Diabloii.Net Member
Advice on a frenzy barb?

I'm relatively new to playing any kind of physical damage dealers. As far as i can tell, the basic gearing strategy is to get as much raw physical damage as possible on the weapons, and care about misc. stats, resists, attack speed, life leech and the rest on all my other gear. Is this more or less correct?

Anyway, i have a frenzy barb that i started on a LAN party a while ago, and i'm almost into hell. Here are my current weapons:

Code:
Butcher's Pupil
Cleaver
One-Hand Damage: 58 to 144
Required Strength: 68
Required Level: 39
Axe Class - Fast Attack Speed
Indestructible
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 50
Fingerprint: 0x7713a873
+187% Enhanced Damage
+30 to Minimum Damage
+50 to Maximum Damage
30% Increased Attack Speed
25% Chance of Open Wounds
35% Deadly Strike
Indestructible

Earthshaker
Battle Hammer
One-Hand Damage: 98 to 162
Durability: 92 of 105
Required Strength: 100
Required Level: 43
Mace Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Level: 59
Fingerprint: 0x5b294b92
+180% Enhanced Damage
+50 Maximum Durability
Knockback
30% Increased Attack Speed
Hit Blinds Target +1
150% Damage to Undead
+3 to Elemental Skills (Druid Only)
5% Chance to cast Level 7 Fissure on striking
I'm doing fine damage wise, for now. I have a bunch of runes gathered up, and if i'm lucky and get a gul on my HF, i can make a Death if i can only trade for a 5os eth BA. Aiming for another Death is a little too distant for me, so i have one free weapon slot in which i plan on using an unique item. I've looked over my stashes, and i think this is the best i have:
Code:
Rune Master
Ettin Axe
One-Hand Damage: 120 to 241
Durability: 16 of 24
Required Dexterity: 45
Required Strength: 145
Required Level: 72
Axe Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Level: 99
Fingerprint: 0x32ce417e
+266% Enhanced Damage
+5% to Maximum Cold Resist
Cannot Be Frozen
Socketed (5: 0 used)
It's a good roll, if i can only figure out what in the world to stick in those 5 sockets. Any ideas? Preferrably nothing way too expensive or hard to get.

For the rest of my gear i'm using angelic jewelery, the green life leech ring, and the rest is IK. I'm currently trying to trade for an Arreat's Face, but i'm unsure if i'll get it. Any other advice on gearing is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Colorless Green

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Advice on a frenzy barb?

I notice your weapons are quite identical and that you've been participating in the trade pool. Thread reported.

Assuming that was a mistake, a Death is a pretty much ideal offhand frenzy weapon, as wIAS is only taken into account from the primary weapon. Even if you don't get a death, what you want to do is get the biggest hurtiest thing you can find in your offhand with something fast enough to hit 5-frame frenzy in the primary hand. A shaeled butcher's pupil with the rune master would probably work (though I haven't checked the breakpoints yet), and if you do that, stick whatever damage jewels you have into the ettin axe (even if they're only a few points - and I wouldn't recommend burning anything godlike even if you had it).

Something else to consider if you have the runes is making an oath in some high end ethereal elite weapon to use in the primary. It's the most godlike one-handed weapon this side of grief (and comes with 50% IAS so you'll quite easily hit 5-frame).

-CG

leetserv

Diabloii.Net Member

Eh yeah. I managed to do a double paste of my main hand weapon =) Atma is some times a bit screwy with copying. Updated the OP with the correct item.

Yeah, Oath doesn't look too shabby, especially concidering the required runes. I had no idea only main hand ias worked. Which side is the main hand weapon? Left or right inv. slot?

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member

Increased attack speed is used only from the main weapon, but base speed is averaged from both weapons, so it might not be the best idea to just stick the slowest weapon in the left hand. Anyway check the german speed calculator, it works ok for frenzy.

neumein

Diabloii.Net Member

Do you have a source of Crushing Blow? CB works wonders on any melee' character, but on something that hits fast and often, even a little bit of CB will quickly soften up any target. Another option is Crescent Moon RW, as the chance to cast static field seems pretty nice in the hands of such a fast attacker. Not too bad damage wise, not too bad rune-cost wise, quick enough for most, and can be used on a few other builds, so it's rather versatile, imo.

Frenziers aren't usually the quickest killers, but they are a blast to play, hope to see a Pat thread soon! :smiley:

Last edited:

leetserv

Diabloii.Net Member

Death has a solid ammount (50%) of crushing blow, if i can get it made. I looked at crescent moon, and i really like it. I guess that plus the rune master will be what i'm wielding until i can get another gul.

I'm still looking for advice on what to socket the rune master with though...

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member

I would skip Runemaster, it looks nice, but actually is no good until you sacrifice the best (and most valuable) jewels in it. RWM runewords are better choice imho.