Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Advice on a dual-tree druid? (Fire/summon)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by testyfish, Sep 12, 2010.

1. testyfish

testyfish Diabloii.Net Member

Advice on a dual-tree druid? (Fire/summon)

Just because I love the summon tree, and hate the nature of having a single minion do all your damage, I started wondering if I could combine fissure/volcano with a grizzly/dire wolf focused summon tree. That whole lot only takes 85 or so skillpoints, so I'd have time to max something else like oak sage, another fissure/volcano synergy, or whatever seems like a good idea at the time.

Right now, I'm breezing fairly easily through ActV normal, but anyone can do that. I'm working on getting a nice beefy grizzly to hide behind while working on volcano/fissure after I get grizzly to 10-15 points. Dire wolves has 5 points, just to make sure the grizzly has enough beef that he doesn't suck my mana pool recasting him.

So that's my plan, I was just wondering if anyone had used this build in the past and had any advice. I plan on using him as at least an area runner through mausoleum (I seem to remember that there aren't fire immunes in there) or some other area. I know he's not optimal, but I like the guy. =D Any advice on how to allocate skillpoints to make an efficient and balanced dual element fire/summon druid, I'm listening. =D

2. Wingsrising

Wingsrising Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Advice on a dual-tree druid? (Fire/summon)

Yes, I made one of those recently (I've been too lazy to write him up) and I had a little rough going near the end of Nightmare on players8, but no problem with Hell on players1.

I ended up maxing Dire Wolf, Grizzly, Fissure, and Volcano, plus a Might merc carrying Reaper's Toll and 10 points in HoW. I mostly ran wolves except on bosses and when the wolves died too fast. With plus skills my 1 point in Ravens gave me 5 ravens. I also threw on Widowmaker so my druid had some non-fire damage in his arsenal. (It's the best bow I have besides Harmony, and I decided I liked the built-in Guided Arrow on Widowmaker for this application.)

It was fun and worked fine. I don't know that it could go much higher than p1 in Hell, though.

This is the guide I used for advice:
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2161992
    (The 1.10 Druid Summoner Guide).

3. testyfish

have any advice on what order to put skills in? I've been keeping skillpoints mostly even between grizzly and fire tree...figure I'll get a maxed grizzly, then max out the two fire skills, then come back and max dire wolves in time to tank act bosses in Hell. Beyond that, I was considering points in firestorm...

4. Chairnick

Chairnick Diabloii.Net Member

I maxed wolves first because they are useful until hell since they can dish out enough damage, then volcano + fissure and after that grizzly. The rest will probably go to firestorm.

5. corax

corax Diabloii.Net Member

with the + skills of a caster 1 point grizzly is more than enough for hell. leaving heaps more points free for fire skills. firestorm destroys anything not FI

6. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

Back in the first Green with Envy tournament, I had a Fire/Grizzly build. I maxed Dire Wolves and Grizzly, and I think I had something like Volcano 15, Fissure 12, Heart of Wolverine 16.

The major thing that made my Grizzly effective was that I used a Cold Act III merc. Most of the time, he would freeze the monster the bear was attacking, preventing the bear´s knockback from happening. That way, the formation didn´t change and the bear didn´t change targets. It kept smacking and biting one monster until it was dead, then moving to the next, etc.

Poison Creeper (at level 1) prevented tons of damage regeneration overall. It died all the time, but then I just recast it.

7. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard Diabloii.Net Member

Give your druid a good bow and you wont need the Fire tree. If you can afford it, a Faith bow and fully pumped up summons mow through just about anything. Tack a WWS for the magic damage against PI and you're set. I tried hybrids, but found that a summoner is best left to be a summoner. I even have points in raven for the ranged/casters.

8. testyfish

That's interesting, because I also have a HC summon druid that I wanted to see if I could do single tree...I'm far from rich, but I do have a WWS lying around...I may have to use my Act1 respec and do that.

I also love the idea of using a cold merc...if for nothing else except that I've always wanted to use one. With WWS, your physical damage is going to be fine, maybe throw toothrow on yourself for PMH through OW, and you're good to go...

*ponders*

Fissure hitting for 1k per hit against the 50% resists in hell probably wouldn't be better than having a grizzly hit for more because of HoW and having amp active on his 1.5-2k hits.

9. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard Diabloii.Net Member

To clarify, to me it's not how fast you can do damage, but if you can do damage consistantly. I hate playing a character like a bliz sorc who has to flee the second she sees a cold immune. Even though a bliz sorc rocks in certain areas... it's just not my style. A pure summon druid with a way to deal with physical immunes works fine throughout the entire game. One solution is to hybrid, and the other is to deal specifically with the problem. WWS with it's normal attack will beat down a PI, and if AD triggers, it's an instant kill. I recommend knockback gloves (crafted) and Atma's Scarab for aditional AD chance. Faith's a great boost to your merc/summons and has +skills to make your AD have a larger radius. I like razortail as a belt for some degree of penetraition.

This build doesn't kill fast... but it's safe and kills everything.

10. stephan

stephan Diabloii.Net Member

He's waaaaaaaay too slow for that IMO.

11. testyfish

Stephan, you quoted where I said that I knew he wasn't optimal, and then commented on efficiency...seems a bit obvious that I know that.

Also, I'm liking the idea of a pure summoner with a bow more and more. I miss having everything blinded from Ravens, and having a few extra points to throw around into HoW to make my damage and the merc's damage better would be quite nice. Maybe...

12. stephan

stephan Diabloii.Net Member

'Not optimal' is way too euphemistic for a summoner druid. That is why. You said you wanted to use him as mausoleum runner, but I doubt you'd get 6 or 7 runs done in an hour.

13. testyfish

Given that I've completed Hell all of once, and I usually play untwinked...6 runs in an hour isn't terrible for me. If it makes you feel better, I'm also leveling a FB/FO sorc. =)

In other news, I found an old savegame of a single tree summon druid with WWS...was about level 74 and in A1 Hell. Wow, that killed slowly...I'm debating using the respec to try out the fire/summon variant to see if it goes faster or what. I'd lose about 1k per swing off my grizzly (from HoW), but I'd gain a 1.3k per tick fissure that was AOE...I think that'd be a trade up.

14. Swamigoon

Swamigoon Diabloii.Net Member

I have made a couple of "Fire Shaman" druids, and I have really enjoyed them. Same as your build: max dires, grizzly, fissure, and volcano. Finding +armageddon on a pelt is fun to play with on this build.