Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Advice on 2-CPU powerleveling?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by USEast Tristan, May 5, 2008.

1. USEast Tristan

USEast Tristan IncGamers Member

Advice on 2-CPU powerleveling?

Hi, I'm looking for an inventive way to powerlevel a new character on my own using 2 CPUs. My dilemma is that I have the high-end gear for my character but I do not have the time and tradeables to spend getting temporary stuff for him to use while going through the game. Advice from anyone with experience running D2 on two computers or (dare I say it) d2loader would be welcome and appreciated. I know-- or just guess with some certainty-- that the quickest way to get a character to level 80 without him lifting a finger is to rush him to hell chaos, let the leecher stand around in diablo's pentagram, and devour all the monsters with your main. Doesn't take too long to get to level 80 or so doing this. UBER leveling in Trist is out, because I am not 4 people. Nor am I an octopus. I was wondering if there were OTHER ways, though, perhaps allowing me to stay in the appropriate difficulty for my level range and thus not having to glitch a lvl 1 character through baal quests and flirt with players who qualify to kill baal. I would also then be able to pull more mules through difficulties with me (running 2 comps) when I decide to take the baal quest. My knowledge of good leveling locations through the acts is spotty, as demonstrated here:

Normal
    1 ~ 6 Blood Moor ~ Stony
    7 ~ 14 Tristram runs
    15 ~ 20(?) Tombs runs
    20 ~ 24 nowhere? besides 95-99, these are the hardest 5 levels in the game in 1.11
    25 ~ 48 Norm Baal

Nightmare
    49 ~ 55 ??
    56 ~ 75 NM Baal

Hell
    76 ~ 85 any lvl85 areas (pit, cs, ws)
    86 ~ Hell Baal

Baal runs are great for dual-CPU leveling. Fun, lootable, and easy where it concerns switching between controlling characters. I'm mainly looking for more areas I could use, or areas that would replace the others like Tristram. For example, is there a faster place than the beginning of the game for a level 1-14 character to gain exp? Keep in mind that it can also be very annoying, and perhaps even impossible for 1 person to guide two characters at once even when the mice are side-by-side. Tombs would be troubling for this reason... I'd constantly have to switch between my leecher and my main to keep them in range of one another. I was tossing up the idea of clearing the normal and nightmare chaos sanctuaries to see if they gave decent experience in their intervals.

Anyhow, any advice on this (besides "just go to hell chaos") would be awesome. I've done quite a bit of searching on the matter on the web and in the forum and haven't turned up good information on optimum leveling locations, so if you know the location of that info, please share. On a side note, I hear that taking a high level main in to clear tristram supresses everyone's experience. I don't hear this about anywhere else. What are the mechanics surrounding this?

2. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

Re: Advice on 2-CPU powerleveling?

For your above table, I would change:

25~40 norm Baal
    40~60 NM Baal
    60+ Hell Baal

After lvl 25, you get more exp from higher lvl area as long as your kill speed stays the same (which it should if your runner is overpowered, like a hammerdin). For 20~24, it's cow lvl for me. It's fast in a large game, though you do have to worry about the king.

3. Gorny

Gorny Banned

I think you should read the forum rules.

Advice on D2Loader is not allowed here, this includes both asking and giving. Same goes for asking where to get it or linking to it or suggesting it's use in any way. It's a crack. Since it's a crack, it violates the forum rules.

That said anyone (anyone includes everyone here) that asks for advice on it, where to get it, posts a link to it, or suggests its use risks account ban.

Fair warning to all.

4. USEast Tristan

USEast Tristan IncGamers Member

Thank god for you, mate... you are going to save me a some anguish in my future characters! I'll definitely take to the cow level as soon as I can to get through those early 20's levels :grin: Also it's good to know I can move on to nightmare Baal a lot earlier than I had thought, originally, and still pick up good XP.

Sorry, then. I know the rules here, and I had no inkling this could constitute asking how to use d2loader. Especially since I'm not using it. Nor asking about anything relating to it. If you feel I'm facilitating abusive behavior with the content I actually put forward in the OP, do what you think is best.

5. plasmo

plasmo IncGamers Member

20-24 is cows.

Just a philosophy of language thought here, but if I say, "Level the lower-level character in cows from 20-24 with the higher-level character," you have no way of knowing if that is advice on D2Loader or 2 computers or user-switching. So, advice that is relevant to D2Loader but which is equally relevant to having a friend or a second computer do the same is basically allowed. The problem is saying you're using D2Loader to do so.

I'm not arguing with Gorny (nobody with any intellect at all argues with an internet mod if they at least somewhat enjoy posting at that particular forum; as one of my profs said, "This isn't a democracy; it's a dictatorship. A benevolent dictatorship, but still a dictatorship."), just pointing out that the same advice can be used by both a legitimate player with friends (or multiple computers or user switching) and a damned-dirty cheater. It's not the advice that's the problem, it's the implementation.

It's like asking a friend to borrow a hammer. If you want to build a house, that's good; if you want to beat someone to death, that's bad. Your friend lending you the hammer isn't the problem, it's your implementation. The question is at what stage does lending it become a problem? Obviously, if your friend tells you he's going to kill someone (use D2Loader), it's wrong, but what if your friend (Tristan) says, "Could someone tell me how to swing a hammer properly? I'm going to build a house, but someone who has used a hammer to kill someone can chime in." Hmm, now there's potentially legitimate suspiction, and the situation gets a little more sticky. Do you trust your friend (Tristan)? Or is he gonna go out and murder someone (use D2Loader)?

Oh, wait, this isn't OTF. Enough of this philosophizing. Like I said, cows are 20-24, and then Baals as AnimeCraze mentioned. I'm not sure why you don't like hell chaos, but if you're leveling yourself, it's definitely much easier than tombs and cows and the like.

6. Silent Shaddow

Silent Shaddow IncGamers Member

Wow I wish my profs where as interesting as that... my just write certified rubbish on the whiteboard that if anybody else came out with in day to day life they would be certified to a mental institution....

7. krajee

krajee IncGamers Member

geez, that's why my math teacher always said.

Anyways, do you have an enchanter or access to one? I'd norm baal from 25-40, then nm cow to 60.

8. aishilee

aishilee IncGamers Member

i was in a chaos game and i saw this guy controlling 6 characters altogether.. lol.

Anyway. Controlling 2 CPU is quite a hassle from lvl 1 - 25 i felt. Because if you don't do Bug Rushes, you would have to run through Trist , Tomb , Cow before you could do Baal Runs. I don't Know what relam you are playing but in NL west SC, getting a full player runs is almost not possible sometimes, so you would have to do many many runs.

But den when you crossed this lvling stage to 25, you could do baal runs easily since the leveling charc just have to stand there.

well looks like you got no other choice, those are the only places with loads of exp for that levels..

9. nerdly

nerdly IncGamers Member

Here's my technique. 1-40 in ~3 hours (I get distracted easily)

The equipment for the low lvl char:
    lvl 1-15
    Cap with 2x c.Ammythests
    Quilted Armor with 2x c.Ammythests
    4 os Hunters bow with AR/-15 req jewels (0 lvl req)
    rings+ammy with dex or AR
    Rare gloves+belt w/ str and 0 lvl req
    Hsarus boots (lvl 3 req, but that will be quick)
    2x4 str GC's (0 lvl req)
    @ lvl 6 switch to deaths glove's+sash (IAS)
    @lvl 12 switch to Angelic Rings+ammy
    @lvl 15 switch to Ravenclaw bow and Treads of Cthon.
    You should be lvl 20 by just after act II. Go back and clear tombs until 20, other than that there's no need to backtrack, you can run straight through.
    @20-24 Norm cows
    @24 Norm Ancients, Norm Baal
    @40 Hell Chaos or NM Baal
    @60 Hell Ancients and Hell baal/Chaos/Uber Trist, etc...

Oh, you will need an enchantress, there's threads in Sorc forums about how to make the best one, but you can make one for pretty cheap using standard gear. You don't really need more than 1200 damage in Norm :p

You can lose the charms for any char except a sorc, unless you want to add to base str as you level.
    It's way more fun than just grinding out runs too.

::edit: I haven't really noticed much difference in leveling speed in Act 1 aside from number of players, no matter where you go. Running straight through is just as fast as skipping to Cat 2. In Act 2 you need to do the quests anyhow. Believe me you will outclass any and all other low lvl chars using this setup.

10. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

Oh, the overpowered enchantress. How can I possibly forget about chant games? Gives you just as good (if not better) exp since you don't have to share it with a lvl 8x that hogs like 80% of the exp.

11. EpicDevia

EpicDevia IncGamers Member

1-6 den of evil
    6-12 tristram
    12-18 catacombs
    18-20 arcaine
    20-22 tombruns
    22-24 cows
    24-25 ancients
    ...baal... next baal... last baal.

i know for sure that 20-22 levels is much better to do in tombruns, because u will get much less exp in cows due monster level differencies from your char level.
    it is not recommended to go to tombs until u are at least at level 18 - u will get much much less exp then doing this at level 20.
    doing 18-20 lvl in arcaine (even sewers) is much better then doing it in catacombs.
    just experiment.

12. Stupid

Stupid IncGamers Member

Theoretically, the best way is rushing through classic, then converting and leveling like this:
    1-20: Hell Sanctuary
    20-25: Norm Cows
    25-60: Hell Sanctuary
    60+: Hell Baal

13. Gorny

Gorny Banned

In response to Plasmo:

The answer is simple, it's a crack and we treat it the same way we do maphack.

If someone asks for it, it's worth a ban. If someone suggests using it or pushes it, it's worth a ban. If someone links to a site that has it for download or links it for download in any way, it's a ban.

If someone offers advice as set forth as Plasmo pointed out, is a different story, and I'll answer it like this, as long as the forum rules are abided by I have no problem with a post and the content thereof. However, that said if a post is in voilation of the forum rules, then it will be dealt with.

14. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

To answer the question even though you said you can't do it. UT lvling. If you can play on 2 comps you can rush your char. After that gather or buy an organ set and post in the player matchup forum that you are hosting a UT session. Getting 3 spinners, a bone wall nec and enough leechers to fill the game shouldn't be a problem at all :wink3: