Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Advice needed on my Ranger Setup

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by PallyRanger, Mar 23, 2005.

1. PallyRanger

PallyRanger IncGamers Member

Advice needed on my Ranger Setup

Ok here goes,
    I have updated my old unfinished ranger from 1.09 into 1.10 and he is now lvl 91 but he doesn't quite have the punch I want and I'm looking for some advice. He was only lvl 27 and a storm-ranger build when I brought him back from mule duty. I maxed out shock, freeze, salvation, the resists, and I am dropping points into Blessed Aim. Here is my setup:

FYI-I do about 7k max damage with shock and 4k with freeze

Helm: Shako w/ P Topaz
    Ammy: +3 Off Skillz Rare Ammy
    Armor: Guardian Angel w/ 15IAS Jewel
    Gloves: Magnus Skin
    Rings: Ravenfrost and Corruption
    Boots: Infernostride
    Weapon 1:Harmony Ward Bow (more damage than my Witchwild) used with Shock
    Weapon 2: Up'ed Wizendraw w/Shael
    Charms: Various small, large, and grand charms of varying elemental damage

I'm just a casual player so Big name runewrds are out of the question since I am pretty poor. Just need some advice on maybe what I'm doing wrong and/or where I need improvement with reasonable gear suggestions. Thanks in advance.

-PallyRanger

2. Rane-

Rane- IncGamers Member

You aren't going to get much more punch unless you can somehow afford the more expensive gear, and even then it's not to drastic. The problem with the Storm Ranger isn't it's "punch" per 'se, but rather it's punch over time, especially to groups. Honestly it really isn't too viable in Hell. You are going to get overrun, especialy by CI's. You are going to die often, or have to pot/tp a lot. Best advice I can give you is to kite your butt off and make sure you have a Holy Freeze Merc with CBF and good damage/leech ratio. That valk should help too ;). Also if you can get Waterwalks or Aldurs boots they should benefit you more than 'strides. Hell Gores would be better if you have the strength.

3. PallyRanger

Thanks Rane,

I'm thinking about retiring this old-timer char and starting a thermal-ranger(Fire and Freeze). I already have a shael'd Kuko and a shael'd up'd Wizendraw...so it really is a no brainer. Strip my shock-ranger and turn him into a mule. :lol:
    BTW Rane, if you do ever come over to ladder and decide to try the trinity ranger, let all of us here know how it goes. I would love to see one in action.

-PallyRanger

4. Rane-

Rane- IncGamers Member

I'm been kinda bogged down by Uni recently, which has left me quite d2-deprived. Also I've played ladder on 3 different resets, and I just don't know if I can be bothered to do it all again :(. If I suddenly have free time on my hands I might give it a try though :thumbsup:.

Thermal Rangers are the closest thing to Hell viable btw, so excellent choice.

5. Tastychiken_europe

Tastychiken_europe IncGamers Member

I just want to add something if no1 said it and i didnt see it..
    for belt u could have a razortail it gives u some minimum dmg and pierce wich works great with groups if u have knockback.

//cheers Tasty

6. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

I just beat hell baal with a fanatic shocker ranger. It was quite fun and very challenging. I think a perfect upped kuko with a razortail makes an excellent end game ranger weapon. I never got above 3k damage with one (low dex, just fanat, really), but the pierce is great and does a number on groups. add in various fire damage (lavagouts are my favorite gloves for this), and you have a very effective killer in hell. Also, an upped goldstrike arch is a *very* good bow for end game. Windforce is a good bow, but its really more for pvp varieties, at least in my opinion. Goldstrikes, burizas, witchwild strings (also good pvp), kukos, and others are excellent bows for pvm. They should all be considered with their merits.

--welt

7. Tastychiken_europe

totally agree welt :) my ranger used a goldstrike for chaos sanctuary for the foh :I he got quite good to bad im to lazy to make another acc :( he would still be here to serve me if i would

8. PallyRanger

Thanks guys,
    I think I may have to look into getting a Razortail since I have no other source for piercing right now.
    Another question, should I swap my Harmony bow for my double shael'd Witchwild? I do more damage in one hit with the Harmony, but I fire faster with the Witchwild. So the real question I guess is....is more, less powerful hits better than single, more powerful hits?
    And I think it's time to start crafting some gloves. Gonna have to go for the hitpower gloves and hope for the 20 IAS mod...=)
    Thanks for all the help. Rangers rock!

-PallyRanger

9. Tastychiken_europe

Well harmony gives valks dont they? u need those valks. but if u get it to stay without harmony (read about it somewhere, it works i think) then u should really use witchwilds (i dont knwo i always had a weakness for speed, always the speed counts in the end ^^)

10. yiuman

yiuman IncGamers Member

I'd change the shako straight away for either an andariels, IAS, +2skills, what more do you want? or if you can afford it a delerium - this helm has instant crowd control written all over it and makes the build viable almost instantly. Other options are nightwings or griffons to boost cold/light damage respectively.

Looking at your equipment, I doubt you have enough resists to make the most of GA, so I'd change it out for another +skills amour that gives more resists. CoH would be best, but as you said you don't have the money for that, skins of the vipermagi would do nicely.

You are always going to run into problems with crowds though as you will only be hitting single targets. This is where delerium moves into a class of its own, basically they all stand around hitting each other instead of you allowing you to pick em off one by one. good luck.

11. yiuman

yiuman IncGamers Member

you also didn't say what merc you have. I'd go with a blessed aim one as you will need all the AR you can get. Another option (i've never tried) could be an act 3 cold merc with the phase blade that gives the salvation aura to help you with resists.

12. PallyRanger

Yiuman,

Believe it or not, I use and Act 1 Cold rogue. She's also using a Harmony bow, Griz armor with 3 IAS jewels, and Guillame's Face with IAS Jewel. She fires crazy fast and does 1k max per shot(Not too horrible I don't think).
    Basically, I use the gear I can get my hands on, and she gets whatever I don't use. I use what I find myself so it makes the choices real tough, and I don't go mf-ing or use any silly bots or hacks so that limits me even more. I just play the game straight thru and just cross my fingers. Thanks for the help guys.

-PallyRanger

13. Rane-

Rane- IncGamers Member

For the upteenth time there is a big difference between 'can beat Hell Baal' and 'Hell viable.' I've beat Hell Baal with numerous builds which I don't deem at ALL Hell viable.

Kuko 4 Life.

14. Illudra

Illudra IncGamers Member

Pally, can you give me a faint outline on what a 'Thermal Rangers' skill choices would be? Just Curious :D

15. yiuman

yiuman IncGamers Member

Thermal ranger would be.....

Holy Fire 20
    Holy Freeze 20
    Resist Fire 20
    Resist Cold 20
    Salvation 20
    Blessed Aim 8

Use a bow/xbow that fires exploding arrow or bolts for the holy fire eg demon machine or kuko and a wizendraw for the cold. One of the new runewords might be good, but I play SP so I couldn't really say.

16. PallyRanger

Yiuman beat me to it.

It's a fire and freeze ranger. Probably the best of all rangers other than Trinity(still waiting to see one). I am currently working on a new ranger, he's only lvl 9, that is the freeze and fire build and I picked up another IAS jewel (Yay! :clap: ) so I get to toss the topaz in my shako and use it instead. Every little bit helps.

And Rane- is right, shock ranger is not hell viable. I have had big problems in hell with swarms and fast moving monsters. Just have to run like my shoes are on fire and fire. Run and gun. About the only way I have been able to get to where I am so far.

On another note, a buddy of mine told me to use a 6 shael'd razor bow so that I do have to worry about IAS on my gear and go for different mods. Just wondering an opinion on this one...sounds like its too easy.

Thanks for the responses guys! You've helped me out a ton.

-PallyRanger

17. yiuman

yiuman IncGamers Member

I'm in the process of writting a guide for a fire/shock ranger (I forget what its called) and I go into a bit of detail about the benefits of IAS. My personal conclusion is that it you will do slightly more damage if you get to 9 frames, but in my opinion its not worth what you have to give up in other mods. An alternative to the 6 sheal bow is a shealed rogues bow, leaveing you with just 20IAS needed. with demon machine on switch that 20IAS will get you to 11 frames there too.

18. Cadet

Cadet IncGamers Member

What pb is this? Azurewrath gives Sanctuary, and Lightsabre doesn't give an aura.

Once I get a Dragon, you'll see one on East. He uses Ice great bow (HF), Dream bone visage (HS), and Fanat base aura, along with Might (from merc). But he's only doing 1.7-5.9k dmg at the moment. If he had the Dragon, and maybe +skills, his damage would be better.

19. kvszeto

kvszeto IncGamers Member

ive built a trinity ranger

these guys rock, so far its one of my favorite builds even though it cost me an arm and a leg to make

as would be expected i maxed Resist fire, Resist cold, Resist Lightning, Conviction, and Im working on maxing Salvation. im at lvl 89 and i still havent max salvation. the problem with this setup is conviction has alot of requirements which prevents me from using some other one point wonders, like cleansing and vigor. I know i should get +skills to get to lvl 25 conviction so that i have points left over but i dont really know where to get the +skills from. my gear is as follows

ice blade bow
    dream bone visage
    dragon archon plate
    Tgods
    Cat's eye
    Lava Gout
    Raven Frost
    Dwarf Star
    Tearhaunches

this set up works very well, but my resistance are all negatives in hell but it doesnt matter cuz i could just used the resistance auras if the elemental damage gets too great.

my merc is an act 1 ice rogue who has a harmony great bow, tal rasha helm, and spirit forge w/ 2 P Rubies. I currently looking for a low faith bow for the ias. i chose a rogue because as a ranger since i dont have dodge skills or a valk, i do alot of kiting and the merc harmony works very well with that. and if worst comes and she dies, i still have vigor from my boots to get away quickly.

20. alinski

alinski IncGamers Member

What is a Dragon? And how would the skill points look for a Trinity?

I have a lvl 77 StormRanger which I based on the guide from the stickies. Using a Blessed Aim merc. Here's my equip:

Shael'd Rogue's bow
    Shael'd Wizendraw bow
    Guillaume's Face helm
    Duriel's Shell armor
    Laying of Hands glove
    Sandstorm Trek boots
    Thundergod's Vigor belt
    +3 to Offensive Auras amulet
    2 x Raven Frost rings
    Miscellaneous charms for resists and FHR

My merc has:
    Grisworld's Heart armor
    Crown of Thieves helm
    Bonehew w/shael & amn

So far has made it halfway through Hell Act 3. Mostly solo'd Hell.

Thanks!