Advice needed for MF build. Also some generic questions.

CuriousFerret

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi everyone,

I'm returning to D2 after some years and I want to level up a few characters but I don't want to farm for items with each one of them. So I was thinking of doing an MF character and use GoMule to transfer items towards the others. I'm going to play the latest patch (1.14d), SP, offline.

Here's my plan so far:
1. Build a Sorc for MF since it's the fastest runner. I'm thinking Blizzard.
2. Do runs until I get decent gear for the next (non MF) character I want to build.
3. Play the other character and transfer any MF items I find back to the sorc.
4. Repeat 2 and 3 for any other character.
5. ???
6. Profitless fun.

Now, I have some questions about this:
* Is the Sorc really the fastest MF runner?
* Is Blizz Sorc viable for runs in Hell? If not, is any other Sorc build?
* Considering that I'll start with a naked build and find any MF items myself, is there a better option?
* I always had the feeling that the item drops are biased away from the class I'm playing. I could always find items for other classes faster that I would for my own class. Is that actually a thing in D2 or is it just my brain being biased? I'm thinking that if it's true I would need an MF build for each class.

That's about it, if you have any suggestions for different builds or maybe for improvements on my "plan", please let me know.

Thank you!

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
I assume this is SC?

Blizz Sorc is definitely the best MF character to start with. She overly strong even with poor gear (except for Cold Immune) and you can equip her with stuff found only from Hell Meph. She can run find every item in the game. Very strong for Ancient Tunnels, Meph, Pindle and Travincal.

That said, best Magic Find character outright is a Barbarian. But it will take a long time to find the gear for him.

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
Old Skool: Teleport past or rely on the Merc + Telekinesis. Claw Viper Temple is particularly fun, expect lots of deaths or slow play.

Post 1.13: Play Hell as a Meteorb or something and use your respecs.

Act 2 Merc yes. I don’t like Defiance, I normally go Holy Freeze or Might.

CuriousFerret

Diabloii.Net Member
Post 1.13: Play Hell as a Meteorb or something and use your respecs.

Act 2 Merc yes. I don’t like Defiance, I normally go Holy Freeze or Might.
So you're suggesting that I start out as MeteOrb and after Hell switch to Blizzard?

As for the merc, yeah, I'm kinda rethinking that. I'm leaning towards Might too.

EatSleepDiablov2

Diabloii.Net Member
My two cents...

Level your pure blizzard to Act II ancient tunnels (Lost City). 3Ptopaz helm. 4Ptopaz armor. Spirit sword. Rhyme/Splendor shield. Fill the rest of your gear slots with whatever you find. You will be charm poor, but plan on LK runs later on. Your first Ko will go to making Harmony bow (something with minimal requirements).

It is nice, but no need for 105FCR. Balance MF with kill times.

Meph is great but linger in AT (p1) and grind. No cold immunes. Just stay out of nova range when elites die.

Once you get well into the mid-80s+ with leveling, rush to Meph, skipping any cold immunes along the way. Grind again if desired.

Pindle would be the last destination in Act 5. Blizzard owns him. On my restart, I actually skipped the Meph grind to get to him.

Within 1,600+- runs, I had Tal's armor, Occy, and a bunch of other items. He is boring but can drop all but three items, and only one is useful in cookie cutter builds (Arachnid Mesh).

Lastly, save your respecs because you will be tweaking your Bliz sorc at various stages (equipping Monarch shield for one).

EatSleepDiablov2

Diabloii.Net Member
One other recommendation on restarting...

Make your list in advance of what socketables are needed.

To start: 4 socket hunter/long/composite bow (Harmony), 4 socket Crystal sword/broad sword (Spirit), 2 socket bone shield (Rhyme/Splendor), 4 socket eth polearm (Insight).

Because everything can drop in AT, expand your socketables list to armor (Archon Plate), eth elite polearms, Mat/Grand Matron Bows with +3 skills, phase blades, berserker axes, etc.

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
So you're suggesting that I start out as MeteOrb and after Hell switch to Blizzard?

As for the merc, yeah, I'm kinda rethinking that. I'm leaning towards Might too.
I’m Old Skool myself :)
I prefer to play the build all the way through. ESD’s suggestion to save the respecs also suggests this route.

If I used respec I would probably go Pure Blizzard until Hell because it is so strong. Baal until about 77 in Nightmare, then respec for Hell. Hell at P1, get all the WPs etc. Then back to Blizzard. That still leaves you a respec spare.