Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Advice needed for Meteorb Sorc build

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Thirsha, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Thirsha

Thirsha IncGamers Member

Advice needed for Meteorb Sorc build

Hello!

First of all, I wasn't sure if I should post this on the SP part of the forums or here so I hope this is alright.

Just a short introduction of me before anyone falls asleep:
    I play Diablo 2 every 1-2 years or so intensivly, have been doing that since the release of the game.
    Used to play with some friends but they kind of lost interest so I am now playing SP by myself.
    I was always playing the Barbarian/Paladin classes for some reason but now I'm trying out the Meteorb from the guide that sasja wrote.
    I've got LoD now (yes, I'm late to the party) and am reading up on all the new stuff on the forums.

Since I havn't played much SP before I don't really have any decent gear so I'm playing 'untwinked' (seems thats the word for it these days).
    So far I think its going well skillwise thanks to the excellent guide and the only difference I have made in the distribution of points is 11 instead of 8 in Cold Mastery since I don't think I will end up having tons of +skills equipment.
    I do some decent damage with FO/Meteor but the problem is my character is very very fragile.

I'm currently at level 67 in NM ACT V with a Holy Freeze merc the same level.
    I know I'm a bit low level to take on Hell so I'm planning to exp up to 80-85 first.
    As I said my sorc is very fragile, ofcourse I'm not doing any melee combat but sometimes I just end up in a position where
    10+ archers/throwers can get me downto minimum health in just a few seconds.
    I guess I really need to find myself some better equipment.

Since I'm too scared to be lacking in resistances (might be memories of low res barbs),
    I'm using a 3 socket helm and 4 socket armour with runes for that purpose.
    Also using belt/boots/gloves for my resistances to be sufficient. I've got a Normal Unique shield that I could get
    1 socket in from Larzuk but then again its only 54% block so that would probably be a waste.
    When is it that 75% block normal non magical shields start dropping from monsters?
    One of those with some Perfect Diamonds would be good for res in hell.

MF; I probably need to start doing MF-runs soon because I will get totally run over in Hell at this rate.
    So in MF-runs you need to have MF and being able to kill fast. If I start using the MF gear,
    I've found my resistances will drop a huge chunk so even if can do decent damage I'll take even more damage really fast.
    Feels like catch 22.

I was thinking of posting this in the Guide itself but since it seems to have been so quiet
    I figured it'd be best to post here if I wanted a reply.

Anyway, advice on how to get some good gear that will atleast let me survive for a bit when playing
    as an untwinked Sorceress in SP would be greatly appreciated!

/greetz Thirsha of Zhon

2. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Re: Advice needed for Meteorb Sorc build

Nightmare Memph drops some decent hell-worthy equipment if you can MF him. Don't rule out the rares; I once MP'd with a guy who was wearing stuff that he'd picked up as he went along. After grabbing random rares from stashes, he added +6 skills.

There is a great low-level, single pass untwinked MF guide in the SPF Stickies. I totally recommend reading it. It might be a bit late for you now, but this is how the tourney guys play ... you would be amazed at what they manage on single pass using those tips.

Are you hitting the 63% fcr break point? If not, try. The more you kill the better.

I recognize you are vanilla so spirit and inisight are out but what about Rhyme for MF? For extra blocking just keep shopping Drognan. I will confess I prefer max life to max block but that's a personal playstyle thing. Friend of mine only ever played with 63% fcr and max block with a Stormshield. Doing that would have driven me nuts.

Personally I would say FCR, resists, kill speed THEN MF.

I took part in a MF tourney recently - most of the time with a whopping 60% MF. I didn't do great but I found some nice goodies. I actually came second in the class where I was wearing 200% MF! Kill speed, kill speed, kill speed!

You should pop over to the SPF and say hi. :smiley:

3. jimmah

jimmah IncGamers Member

Using 2x Spirit (4 sox crystal sword and 4 sox Monarch) always helps for me. The give lots of faster hit recovery which really really helps, total +4 skills, resist on the shield, mana & life. The monarch str req is a bit high (156 str), but imo it's worth it. I don't go maxblock.

You can use ladder only runewords in SP if you use the mod linked in the SP forum.

4. Thirsha

Thirsha IncGamers Member

Alrighty, I'll try that, thanks!

Wow, sounds great. Does MF do anything on drop from stashes or was he just really really lucky?

Currently reading!

I was just reading up on that earlier, d2 seems to be alot about math these days (probably was before aswell, I just wasn't aware..), think I have some items that give some fcr, hopefully enough to get to 63%.

Sounds good but I lack a Shael rune, any suggestions as to where those are likely to drop?

5. Thirsha

Thirsha IncGamers Member

Looking at The Arreat Summit, those Spirit runewords looks really nice but I'm a bit unsure about modding my d2. Is it widely accepted to run them eventho blizzard only released those runewords for online play? I think I'd feel as if I were cheating but then again I guess I'm odd.

6. Poppis

Poppis IncGamers Member

I think the majority of SP players use both RRM(red rune mod) and RWM(runeword mod), so I wouldn't worry about it. Besides those ladder runewords are just so sexy.

You can find both of them here.

7. Thirsha

Thirsha IncGamers Member

Alrighty then, I'll try 'em out. I'm not sure if there are 4s one-hand swords so I'll go with the shield for now, just need to find one with decent block since Spirit doesn't seem to give +block% like Rhyme but maybe the FHR makes up for that?

8. Poppis

Poppis IncGamers Member

The only shield worth considering is Monarch, because thats the first shield that can get 4 sockets. Only other options are Aegis and Ward, but both of them have higher Str requirements than Monarch. With Spirit shield, you never go for max block, so shield block isn't that important.

As for swords, Crystal Sword, Broad Sword and Long sword(plus their exceptional and elite versions) can have 4 sockets, so it's a lot easier geting a spirit sword than a shield.

9. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I have an Infinity-holding sorceress - yes I WILL post about that again - and she has 30% FHR with The Stick and 86% FHR on switch (she tele's with CtA and Spirit shield). FHR does help.

As I said; I prefer max vita to block, but ... horses for courses. Others prefer max block.

@Poppis - never say never ... it's rare but some will go max block with a monarch. ;)

10. Thirsha

Thirsha IncGamers Member

Ok, going for a Monarch then. Any ACT or place where they are more likely to drop?

Sounds excellent! I'll be sure to keep a lookout for them.

11. Poppis

Poppis IncGamers Member

I quess any lvl85 area will do. Pit is easiest.

12. Thirsha

Thirsha IncGamers Member

To the Pit it is then, well.. as soon as I can get my merc to survive more then 3 secs on the Ancients that is..

13. jimmah

jimmah IncGamers Member

If I got fireball and meteor maxed should I pump firebolt or mastery to get maximum fireball damage? They added their damage different afaik.

14. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

total damage = damage * (1+synergybonus) * (1+masterybonus) where 1% = 0.01. Which skill adds more damage will depend on which spell you're using more (fireball vs meteor) and how much you have already in the synergies and fire mastery, as well as how many +skills you have (since they only benefit mastery but not the synergy). It's easy to do the math yourself here ;)

15. jimmah

jimmah IncGamers Member

What would damage be in "total damage = damage * (1+synergybonus) * (1+masterybonus)"? The damage listed in the skill tree for fireball? But that shows with synergies included.

16. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

The tree shows the result of that calculation. The damage is what you would have with no synergy and no mastery. google for "diablo 2 skill calculator" or something for playing around with your skill tree and seeing the results.