Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

advice-meele/enchantres skillz

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by cOMMANDo, Mar 9, 2004.

1. cOMMANDo

cOMMANDo IncGamers Member

advice-meele/enchantres skillz

i have an east ladder lvl 85 enchantres/meele sorc
    maxed enchant warmth and fire mastry, 1 static, 1 tele, 1 in cold armors, now i have around 21ish skill points to use up in something

gear includes:
    shako/andariels switch out
    cats eye
    um'd shaft<thinking of upping, but str might be too much...
    verdungos
    2x high AR ravens
    LoH/lavagouts
    goreriders
    azure/wiz spike
    spike thorn/Pdimond moslers <still looken for ss...
    - act ii might merc -

i mainly use this sorc for doing countess runs, tele there then beat her a$$.
    now that u know the build, and equipment, what do yall think i should max next? lite mastry? or shiver armor? i was even thinking cold mastry, since azure has 500 cold dmg?

i dont' want to use my skill points till i get some more input

Thanks

2. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Since you didn't anticipate/build with ES in mind, no use investing in the lightning tree. LM is pointless since you're not dealing significant amounts of lightning damage with your gear. Since Azure is dealing solid amounts of cold damage I'd say max CM.

3. cOMMANDo

true, i don't have much lite dmg on my azure, but i do have quite a few small lite dmg charms in my inventory and was even thinking of socketing my azure with a 1-100 lite dmg/xx/xx rare charm, so maybe splitt the 20 skillz between cold and lite mastry? i just dont understand how cold mastry increases dmg? doesnt it make cold piercing? and how does that work with meele, i understand with blizzard and orb etc, but how does it work with meele?

about energy shield, i heard that its pretty much useless in 1.10, that its not worth putting points in

4. Zarhrezz

Cold Mastery works the same in all cases. If you have -100% enemy cold resist from CM and the monster has 25% cold resist, he'll have 25-100 = -75% cold resistance, which simply means any 100 cold damage you inflict on him will deal 175 damage. It doesn't matter what the source of the cold damage is (spell, melee, whatever).
    If you're dealing significant lit damage, pumping LM is a good option also...which is best depends on a monster to monster basis, so pretty much do what you like...I'd not get a CM over -100% enemy resistance though, since the %'s over 100% won't matter vs monsters with 0% base cold resist.

And what you heard about ES is probably from uninformed people who didn't bother to look much into the changes of ES in 1.10 after seeing that the 1.09 use isn't working anymore. A forum search on "energy shield" in this forum should give you all the detail needed.

5. cOMMANDo

i think what i heard about es that turned me off to it, was that for elemental damage it would instantly drain your mana? i don't remember exactly, but i did a lot of reading on it, seems like it was in one of the enchantress 1.10 guides that i read that it wasn't worth.

and on the cold, i think i have +3 total skillz, so maybe get cold mastry close to -100, around 13 skill points? them maybe dump the rest into lite mastry?

thanks for the input and replys by the way
    appreciate it

6. RaverLV

RaverLV IncGamers Member

Well, ain't damage to ES in 1.10 counted before resists, so a hit or two from a Hell caster-monster drys your mana pool for sure. :scratch:

7. Zarhrezz

See my Energy Shield sorc guide (well, the draft) for details on how you can tank hell elemental attackers with -100% resist all due to a conviction boss or lower resist. The only thing in 1.10 that'll instantly drain your mana pool is mana burn, since it's alot more powerful than the information at the Summit indicates.

8. Zarhrezz

I think I know what Enchantress Guide you mean and that's one where also commented on the ES part. Ignoring ES for a melee Enchantress is one of the worse choices you can make imo, and for ranged Enchantress it isn't a much better choice. The benefits are enormous but you have to know what you're doing. Using Energy Shield in 1.10 requires knowledge, planning and some skill unlike 1.09. But the skill has definitely improved in 1.10.

On the skill points: sounds good. If you're already at -75% enemy cold resists you could also just sink all points into LM. Of course spreading it out a bit never hurts, since you will encounter FI/LI uniques sooner or later...having everything in LM isn't much help then. Same goes for FI/CI.

9. cOMMANDo

so if energy shield is actually worth using, should i drop the 20 skillz into it? or is it too late to even think about it ... cause in 8 player games i do ok, just not as comfortable as i'd like to be, think a ss would actually help me out the most.

10. Zarhrezz

Probably too late, you most likely don't have the mana for it. However if you can get a Memory staff with +3 ES you can cast it from staff as prebuff. In that case get TK 20. If you have 600+ mana, the ES will increase your tanking ability by a great deal.

11. wisedoor

wisedoor IncGamers Member

Don´t max another masteries.... 1 point is enuff imho. Most of this build damage will come from enchant, anyway, and the offensive capabilities you´d receive by maxing a mastery will never prevail over the defensive capabilities you´d receive if you put these points into ES or the second armor. Putting into the second armor will make you more of a tank.
    I reccomend 1 in ES for any melee, as mana regenerates pretty fast with 20 warmth, and you can have a row of blues in your belt.
    If you want to improve ES, it´s a bad idea to dump points directly into ES, but put some into Telekinesis too... personally i´d spread 2 to ES / 3 to TK. A high ES with no TK is useless. A SOJ would greatly benefit the ES build.

12. Eisirt

Eisirt IncGamers Member

13. Zarhrezz

I've read them and he has some good points, though I disagree on some points. For one I consider Kingslayer a much better weapon than Passion. Besides that, I don't have the runes for Delirium and Call to Arms is definitely out of range, which means I have to make due with alot less life and mana for one, which requires a whole different strategy. Being up to the Swamp in act III now all the way at players 8, I can't say I'm disappointed with the build I have. Funny detail: the damage including enchant that he mentions as his zeal damage is about equal to my vengeance damage without enchant. My max damage is less than 100 under 10k.

14. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Hey cOMMANDo,

I'd have to agree with Zarhezz on this one. ES has it's uses but requires a lot of planning and a lot of equipment switching. I've used ES on an enchantress before and regretted spending the points since I didn't have the equipment to make it really useful.

I do disagree with maxing Cold Mastery. I'd pump it until I got to lvl 17-18 with plus skills equipment (which is -100% enemy resistance). I never understood why people did this until one of them finally said: 'Only a few monsters have any cold resistance at all. Usually in hell the monsters either have no resistances or they are immuned. Very few have 'just a little'. Since, only one fourth to one sixth of the monsters are immuned. So any skill points over that -100% is really only for a small percentage of the monsters that are out there.'.... and still... that explanation ignores the fact that you still need conviction or lower resists to break the immunity.

Other than that if you have left over skill points you can dump them into Frost nova or Frozen Orb... mainly to slow the baddies down (Gravy is FO will do good damage with Cold Mastery). Both have great durations when maxed, yet some sorces find it distasteful to use such a standard spell as FO on an Enchantress.

If you want to learn more about an energy shield using build you may want to sear for 'Bear, Enchantress' or 'Beartress'. Also, It serves no purpose but I slapped firewall and Inferno on my enchantress since firewall is low investment for decent damage and Inferno has the same synergies as Enchant. But that was more for sh*ts and giggles than any practicality like frostnova or FO would be.