advice: martyr/cleric hybrid

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
advice: martyr/cleric hybrid

Hello all,

I've recently started playing D2 again, and I'm still seeking my first Guardian. My latest attempt is Galahad, a HC martyr/cleric hybrid (yes, I like a challenge!) He uses Sacrifice/Fanaticism to kill most monsters, and against undead (especially "unleechables" such as skeletons) he uses holy bolt synergized with FoH. He is currently lvl 32 and about to start Act 5 Normal, no problems yet.

I know Normal is pretty easy, so I have to ask, will he able to kill effectively in Hell? I know the life loss from Sacrifice will start to become larger and larger as my damage continues to increase, but I was hoping to get good life leech to counteract that. My goal is to have a 6-s elite sword with Pskulls/Amn runes in it. Would that, combined with the large dmg bonus from Sacrifice/Fanat, be enough to kill in Hell?

Also, what should my targeted Holy Bolt dmg be to kill undead effectively in Hell? I want to know how much to focus on Galahad's "cleric" side.

Opinions appreciated, thanks!

Note: I play untwinked.

poopie_pants

Diabloii.Net Member
azn_apocalypse said:
I've recently started playing D2 again, and I'm still seeking my first Guardian. My latest attempt is Galahad, a HC martyr/cleric hybrid (yes, I like a challenge!)

Note: I play untwinked.
An untwinked Guardian martyr/cleric in 1.10...advice? Have a bottle of JD readily available :D.

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
poopie_pants said:
An untwinked Guardian martyr/cleric in 1.10...advice? Have a bottle of JD readily available :D.
Heh heh, yeah, I definitely don't choose to make my first Guardian an easy character. :)

At any rate, I have been fortunate enough to find a Gull early on. It has netted me several good items so far, so hopefully that will continue.

Shade

Diabloii.Net Member
azn_apocalypse said:
I know Normal is pretty easy, so I have to ask, will he able to kill effectively in Hell? I know the life loss from Sacrifice will start to become larger and larger as my damage continues to increase, but I was hoping to get good life leech to counteract that. My goal is to have a 6-s elite sword with Pskulls/Amn runes in it. Would that, combined with the large dmg bonus from Sacrifice/Fanat, be enough to kill in Hell?

Also, what should my targeted Holy Bolt dmg be to kill undead effectively in Hell? I want to know how much to focus on Galahad's "cleric" side.
The damage from Sacrifice is a fixed 8% regardless of difficulty so you need 8% LL in Normal, 16% in NM, and 32% in Hell (IIRC). Otherwise you'll need healing potions! :)

Getting Dracul's or Exile - unlikely untwinked, but possible - would be enormously handy for the CTC Lifetap, which works even on unleechable foes.

Anyway... I wouldn't recommend the 6s sword simply because your damage output wouldn't be that great. You'd probably do a fair bit of damage but I don't think it'd be enough, personally (but then I like killing quickly, which is safer than killing slowly in general).

Thus a better option would be a rare 2s, decent-ED (and preferably LL/IAS) weapon of any 1h type. Filling the sockets with Amn runes nets you 14% LL, which can go up to about 21-23 or so with good LL mod (can't remember how high it goes on rares offhand).

That leaves you needing a little more though, so either crafting a Blood weapon or other Blood items will help cover that gap.

You'll need a way to kill Meph. He's unleechable and a Demon, so it's FoH or Zeal against him. (Also, Baal is only 20% leechable, so you may need to do the same against him.)

As to the Cleric side - don't know how far up Holy Bolt goes but maxing HB and a synergy should be enough, I think.

Good luck!

Mankey

Diabloii.Net Member
why not get a point into sanctuary? IIRC it sets undeads physical resistance to zero and makes them leachable... You'll loose fana but thats no biggie when survival is THE factor.

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Good advice, all.

I've taken this character into Act 1 NM and he seems to be doing well, dealing out good damage and keeping his red bulb close to full despite the 1/2 life leech penalty...there's no reason I shouldn't make it to Hell diff.
I haven't reached 16% LL yet (I think I have 14%), but in Normal I did find Signon's Gauntlets and Belt, good for an extra 10% lifesteal.

Would casting Life Tap on Meph make him leechable? If not, FoH is a decent fallback option. I think Life Tap can spawn on wands...I'll try to shop one before I take on NM Meph (assuming I make it that far). Weird, I killed Meph in Normal and thought he was leechable.

@Mankey: Sanctuary seems like a good idea but unfortunately I don't think I'll have enough spare skill points to put into the prereqs...Holy Bolt seems to be doing all right so far, though.

Liliel

Diabloii.Net Member
IIRC normal Meph is leechable.

Holy Bolt and one synergy is sufficient for something like sniping Oblivion Knights and Gloams... if you want to use it as more of a secondary attack though, you should get it as high as you can (which means points into Blessed Hammer).4k should be sufficient...

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
azn_apocalypse said:
Would casting Life Tap on Meph make him leechable? If not, FoH is a decent fallback option. I think Life Tap can spawn on wands...I'll try to shop one before I take on NM Meph (assuming I make it that far). Weird, I killed Meph in Normal and thought he was leechable.
I have bought a wand of life-tap with almost each of my melee untwinked characters. It can be easily bought at vendors around level 24. (I think it has alvl 25) It's a great help against act bosses and in tough battles. Everything "life tapped" including Hell Mephisto will give you 50% life back.

Howitzer Al

Diabloii.Net Member
IIRC from the martyr guide I read, %Damage Reduction works against the life drain of Sacrifice. So, if you can get 50%DR, you'll only need 16%LL in Hell. That'd be easy to do twinked, but hopefully you can get some DR untwinked to help you out.

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Howitzer Al said:
IIRC from the martyr guide I read, %Damage Reduction works against the life drain of Sacrifice. So, if you can get 50%DR, you'll only need 16%LL in Hell. That'd be easy to do twinked, but hopefully you can get some DR untwinked to help you out.
That's very helpful, thanks.

I have another question. Does "Dmg reduced by X" (different from "dmg reduced by x%") also help to reduce the dmg from Sacrifice? I have not yet had the opportunity to test this, as I have not found any items with significant amounts of that property yet.

Right now, Galahad is in the midst of clearing out the False Tombs in Act 2 NM. Progress is decent, but I am lacking a high dmg weapon so it is not as fast as I would like. At least I am still alive, though!

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok, I progressed some more (NM Travincal, Level 62) and have a couple more questions.

1) I found my first decent weapon - Aldur's Rhythm.

Aldur's Rhythm
Jagged Star
One-Hand Damage: 60 to 93
Durability: 15 of 72
Required Strength: 74
Required Level: 42
Mace Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 53
Fingerprint: 0xc85e1631
+40 to Minimum Damage
+62 to Maximum Damage
Adds 50-75 lightning damage
10% Life stolen per hit
5% Mana stolen per hit
30% Increased Attack Speed
200% Damage to Demons
150% Damage to Undead
EDIT: Socketed (2) (0 used)

I am wondering, could this be a viable endgame weapon in the hands of a martyr? Right now I do around 1000 dmg/hit, and my skills have yet to be maxed out. Sacrifice is at level 14, Fanaticism is at 16. So I estimate that I will eventually probably be able to do 2000 dmg/hit in Hell (very fast swing speed), possibly with the help of +dmg charms. Would that be enough for Hell? If so, I figure I would be better off sticking Amn runes into the sockets. If it's not viable endgame material then I'll just stick some +dmg jewels in there and wait until something better comes along.

2) Is there a bug with Prevent Monster Heal and mercs? I gave my merc a rare Partizan with PMH on it halfway thru Act 3 NM, and he seemed to be doing fine; monsters didn't seem to be regenerating. Then in one of the Kurast temples merc got killed by a beetle boss pack. I resurrected him, then the PMH didn't seem to be working anymore. He would hit monsters and they would just continue to regenerate. What is going on here?

Liliel

Diabloii.Net Member
Um, I think Aldur's Rhythm has 3 sockets, but I'm just going from memory. I guess it could work as an endgame weapon... if you socket it full of Ruby/Realgar jewels of Carnage/Bliss, or Ohm runes. But I'm guessing you don't have a lot of them. But then, as a martyr, maybe you wouldn't want to do too much more damage than 2k anyway.

Oh, just a thought. You may want to avoid weapons with damage to demon/undead. The added damage might suddenly outweigh your leech when you fight a demon, for example.

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
Liliel said:
Um, I think Aldur's Rhythm has 3 sockets, but I'm just going from memory. I guess it could work as an endgame weapon... if you socket it full of Ruby/Realgar jewels of Carnage/Bliss, or Ohm runes. But I'm guessing you don't have a lot of them. But then, as a martyr, maybe you wouldn't want to do too much more damage than 2k anyway.

Oh, just a thought. You may want to avoid weapons with damage to demon/undead. The added damage might suddenly outweigh your leech when you fight a demon, for example.
It would be worse if fighting undead, because you can't leach from most of them.

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Krikke said:
You can't leech from UD
As I understand it, some types of undead (ghouls/gloams/mummies) are at least partially leechable and possibly 100% leechable. Skeletons are not leechable (0%). Can someone confirm/deny this?

In any event, I have Holy Bolt at a fairly high level so killing undead is not a huge problem (yet).

However I have found itchies (swarms of insects) to be somewhat of a problem. They are not leechable, plus in Hell they are immune to phys, iirc. I guess I'll have to use FoH to kill them (slowly).

Are there other non-leechable/partially leechable monsters in D2 that I should be aware of?

EDIT: Also, as someone before me mentioned, ed% against demons and leechable undead would never outweigh leech b/c you will always be leeching the same %.

Shade

Diabloii.Net Member
azn_apocalypse said:
As I understand it, some types of undead (ghouls/gloams/mummies) are at least partially leechable and possibly 100% leechable. Skeletons are not leechable (0%). Can someone confirm/deny this?

Are there other non-leechable/partially leechable monsters in D2 that I should be aware of?

EDIT: Also, as someone before me mentioned, ed% against demons and leechable undead would never outweigh leech b/c you will always be leeching the same %.
Most undead are leechable (lesser/greater mummies, all the ghost lines are too), it's just Skeletons. Even the Doom-Oblivion Knights are leechable IIRC.

I can't offhand recall what is and isn't leechable, and checking the files is a little tricky when you can't remember what names ingame correspond to the listed ones in the text files :)

'Willowisps' - presumably Gloam types - are unleechable, as are Windows, and the Act V terrain pieces (including the spawning huts).

Some of the Undead Guest monsters in Act V appear to be unleechable too, specifically the Ghosts.

Since I'm a little rusty at interpreting the files, anyone with actual experience of these (it's been quite a while since I've gotten a physical damage character into Hell...) should feel free to correct any mistakes!

Slartibartfast

Diabloii.Net Member
azn_apocalypse said:
with a wand of life tap everything is leechable...

sunbearie

Diabloii.Net Member
azn_apocalypse said:
1) I found my first decent weapon - Aldur's Rhythm.

Aldur's Rhythm
Jagged Star
One-Hand Damage: 60 to 93
Durability: 15 of 72
Required Strength: 74
Required Level: 42
Mace Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 53
Fingerprint: 0xc85e1631
+40 to Minimum Damage
+62 to Maximum Damage
Adds 50-75 lightning damage
10% Life stolen per hit
5% Mana stolen per hit
30% Increased Attack Speed
200% Damage to Demons
150% Damage to Undead
EDIT: Socketed (2) (0 used)
Aldur's can come with 2-3 sockets though. I think sticking 2amns in it would be best, your priority is life leech after all. You could probably find weapons with better damage but I think the 24% life leech from a single weapon makes up for it (31% if you find another 3 socketed one)

I'm not sure if you regard this as a cop-out but for PIs, using zeal with an elemental weapon might work.