Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Advice is needed on an Enchantress with issues

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Merlin The Wizzard, May 17, 2008.

1. Merlin The Wizzard

Merlin The Wizzard IncGamers Member

Advice is needed on an Enchantress with issues

And when I say issues, read: Tournament restrictions. Allthough, trust me, RolePlaywise, she also has issues. Lots of em. Mainly due to irritant merc behaviour
    (btw, her name is FireBlade, and she is a participant in the Swashbuckler tournamnet)

Now, some advice is needed to keep her alive. I am afraid for her future, and it would be nice to keep her alive as long as possible. I read an(the?) enchantress guide over at the sorceress forum, great job there. But it's main concern is with party playing.

Restrictions
    - Must wear a crown ASAP. Only kind of headwear allowed after. (So no Circlets...)
    - Only leather armors, but Breatplate/Lightplate are allowed as well.
    - Only one handed swords
    - Merc has NO weapon in normal, white or gray weapon in Nightmare(no runeword) and no restrictions in Hell.
    - Even though I just found out I can cast enchant on the merc even if he doesnt have a weapon, I intend not to, to stay true to the spirit of the tourney (Merc is a sidekick, not a killer).
    - Untwinked.

Skills
    - So far I have 9 in Warmth, 7 in Enchant. I have one point in Static Field. I have all the prereqs for Frozen Orb filled, it's my intention to pump this one after I have completed enchant.

Equipment
    I am currently using a rare crystal sword (Life leech, mana leech, CtC amp damage, 31% enhanced damage).
    My shield is rare as well (Bone shield with 30% Higher block rate and +3 all res (+12 lightning).
    Armor and belt are from the Arctic set. So my defense and resistances are decent (especially cold). I am worried about my limited belt capacity.
    My amulet is pretty good actually. +7 life, +4 replenish life, +12% LR, +7% all other res. My gloves have 13%CR, 12% FR and 6% LR, as well as 25% MF
    the boots have 10%LR, 8% PR, 10% FHR and 11% MF.

Rings are crappy. 1 with +1 max dam and +31AR, the other with 10% CtC Lvl3 CB and 9% Mf. My helmet is a gemmed skull cap with two chippies (it'll soon be a crown I reckon).

Currently, I am in Act II normal. I dont foresee imminent problems for her, but I think they will arrive soon (A4 Doom knights for example) And I should be ready for them.

Should I go with teleport? Since the merc is weak, I can't see the most potent use for it for a melee sorc(port next to mob and kill him quickly) being terribly useful. Likewise, without FCR I doubt my Teleport speed will help me get out of tight spots.
    Should I start with a bit of FO pumping as soon as I hit 30, to deal with FI mobs? or should I just concentrate on enchant, and try to do them under with physical damage and Static Field?

What mods should I look for on my equipment?

2. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Re: Advice is needed on an Enchantress with issues

IAS/ED/AR are good mods to look for on your sword. You'll want the speed to apply your Enchant's damage. ED is always nice, and straight AR gets pumped up nicely by your Enchant. Also keep an eye out for separate of gear in order to prebuff.

Teleport is an awesome skill in terms of crowd control. It's true that you won't have great FCR, but even a little extra mobility could save you.

20 points into Frozen Orb can basically carry you through Nightmare. For your melee sidse, max Enchant first, and follow up with a mix of Warmth and Fire Mastery. Remember that Fire Mastery is applied twice, once to your Enchant and once to your actual fire damage.

3. Jaedhann

Jaedhann IncGamers Member

Never, ever forget a cold armor with your melee sorc. You will want the one that freezes attackers (forgot name). And yes, teleport is king. You might lack fcr, still, it's so damn usefull.

4. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Did you think about using an Act3 merc? I used a ColdWolf with one of my enchantresses, and it was a great fit... it sounds like his crowd control and early power is a good help for your needs too, though his power really tends to drop off in Hell.

And yes, definitely get teleport. It's your best crowd control skill. I'm not a fan of the Cold Armors, but if you get one, choose Shiver... it freezes while the monster swings, so you'll have more chance to avoid the hit because of the armour and the monsters slowed attack. (The other two armours only freeze the monster once you're hit, so you obviously don't avoid as much with them).

Also, I really noticed the need for Faster Hit Recovery with all of my enchantress - don't neglect this mod too much.

5. Jaedhann

QFT,and if you go maxblock, get some fbr aswell if possible.

6. Merlin The Wizzard

Merlin The Wizzard IncGamers Member

Hmm... should I go powershopping for a 2socket staff with +2 or 3 to enchant, and some + to shiver armor then? And make leaf in it?

Oh, and thanks for the advice, all three of you!

7. Jaedhann

I think i heard somewhere that a shiverarmor from a prebuff (so no hardpoints in it) shows the animation, but has no freezing effect. Someone might tell you more about it though.

8. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

I disagree. Shiver Armor ftw. Frozen Armor is nice in that it freezes attackers, but it has three main drawbacks. First, they must hit you to be frozen. If you can get armor with nice defense- probably not too hard, though you'll never get the obscene numbers of untwinked play- you want to avoid them hitting you. Second, the +%defense isn't as good as Shiver Armor. Third, the freeze time really blows.

Shiver Armor, on the other hand, chills melee attackers whether or not they hit you, offers a longer chill time, and gives a bigger defense boost. The fact that it chills attackers rather than freezing them outright isn't a big drawback since the effect is applied more consistently and for longer duration than FA. Thus, a mob where most/all the attackers are slowed certainly beats the mob where one or two are frozen for a few frames. Against cold immunes or other unfreezables, the bigger defense boost really makes SA shine.

Some other tips: Yes, do go for Teleport. It's a must for any sorc, and even if you can't reliably escape from the middle of a mob, you can still evade oncoming mobs and string out targets. You also get all the usual goodness, such as bypassing walls, rivers, and other obstacles.

If you don't use spells much once you've buffed Enchant, you might consider going for a partial Energy Shield. A full-blown ES is probably a bad idea, considering you'll have little to no +skills and PDR/MDR to back it up, but a partial shield can certainly reduce how fast your life ball drops. And, if the shield goes down, you're not some ES sorcy who's put zero points into vitality, so you'll be okay. My advice is to find an orb or staff with +ES, and give it a test drive.

Just because the merc can't kill doesn't mean he can't be useful. Grab an Act II merc with the aura that most helps you (probably Prayer or Defiance, which are Combat and Defensive types, respectively), and possibly upgrade in Nightmare (Holy Freeze seems most useful). When you get to Hell and can use runewords, you might want to re-hire a Normal Combat merc and put Insight on him. Take it from one who knows- the double healing and massive mana regeneration is very nice. Until then, put on the best survival gear he can wear. Big defense, +life, and +resists will let him tank for you, and should you be lucky enough to get things like Rattlecage, Howltusk, or Coif of Glory, the flee/blind effects will offer nice crowd control. Use Teleport to spread these effects out to your advantage.

Lastly, exploit stupid monster AI as much as possible. This means bottleneck them in doorways, snag them on obstacles, use monster flee gear to thin the herd, and otherwise abuse them.

9. wakiki

wakiki IncGamers Member

On my enchantress (who was lost to a computer crash), I found a +3 to enchant battle staff with 2 sockets in the Spider Forest. But unless you are insanely lucky, you should shop one from Drognan for your Leaf. Also, are Circlets allowed for prebuffing, at least? It probably wouldn't be worth the trouble until you find one with +3 fire skills.

You should go for Cannot Be Frozen as well. It's not needed for most sorcs, but this'll be an exception since you are attacking. You will also need fast, good blocking if you plan to go that route. A Rhyme shield fills both of these requirements perfectly, and a Grim or Bone shield fits the pirate theme perfectly.

I'd recommend 'Steel' (El+Tir) in a Scimitar (fastest attack speed, and it's the ultimate Pirate Weapon). You could later upgrade it to 'Strength' (Amn+Tir), preferably in a Cutlass.

Also, keep in mind that any lightning damage (from charms, your sword, whatever) will be increased by Lightning Mastery, so put one point into that.