Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Advice from all Baal runners please.

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by PhatTrumpet, Mar 21, 2004.

1. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Advice from all Baal runners please.

So first I was thinking a Summoner would be a safe bet with all the tanks, but I'm having trouble getting my life and resists up to a comfortable lvl, plus I don't have a spare TGod's for him. And even if I were to trick him out he wouldn't be wearing much MF. Then I thought the versatility of a Meteorb Sorc would do the trick, but the build is so tight on skill points that even at lvl 82 my Orb is nearly useless (need more pts in Mastery). I refuse to just make a Cheese-adin, and I've also considered a Trapasin or a Wind Druid, but don't think they'd interest me much. I've also heard Blizzard Sorcs do alright.

Just wondering what you guys use, like specific gear and skills.

2. PhatTrumpet

This is for solo MF purpose btw, in case it wasn't clear.

3. BattleCookie

BattleCookie IncGamers Member

Hiho,

i was using a necro with around 400 mf. Was using Skullders, tgods (tals belt before that), homunculus, kiras guardian for the resis, +3 summon +35 mf amulett, raven, nagel, wartravs and chanceguards. Inventory was filled with some small resis charms and mf charms.

Without the tgods he had to drink some juvs when entering the throneroom with some gloams around. But when he got tgods he didnt even get a scratch there.

To bad i had a telestaff on switch and tried the famous tele attack on a bosspack of moonlords. :thumbsup: He didnt even last 0.1 seconds in middle of em :scratch:

So far,
    BC

4. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

I'm curious about this too. I've seen people talk about trapsin Baal runners, but more info would be nice. :thumbsup:

5. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

I can see a sin do it although I dont, as with her Mind Blast and Cloak she can run thru many things to avoid immunes.

My Blizz Sorc runs him fine, but I dont do "MF runs" much, I am more of the run around and kill everything mfer as its a hell of a lot more fun than repetative runs.

Gloams dont bother my sorc at all, I have my cast rate up, most my MF is Baba on switch and charms so I have max rez big life and mana and just blazz past and thru all the bad guys. Only "issues" are the CIs they can slow you down a lot. I also have MF Armor on My Merc and once I clear the throne room I swap armors with my Merc to boost MF more and it works well.

6. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

for your char to be a safe baal runner, he/she has to have:
    (1) tgods, unless your a necro, g-angel pally or sorc
    (2) the means to kill everything in wk2/wk3 (if walking) and throne unless a sorc

you already stated your dislike for pallies, so that leaves necro or sorc. my vote goes for the necro, i finished the game with around 40 some light res, just need some practice killing em gloams (not that hard, just position your golem correctly). if you can get tgods it gets better. i do suggest, however, that you get an offensive bone skill to complement your army. aim for around 1.3k damage on the bone skill of your choice. this speeds up the runs a lot, as you dont have to wait for your army to kill the pi succubi (wk3) and the fanataurs (takes forever for your skelly army).

i've also ran the solo baals with a zon, but she was really expensive and died to my own stupidity (how's that for a waste of resources). she was a pure lightning jav: you do have to reset the game until you get no gloams in the throne room (gloams in wk2 you can run past). much much faster than a necro, but also a hellalot dangerous. for reference this was her gear before she died (soloing in 6 player, pressed weapon switch instead of rejuv. needless to say my naj staff was not good enough for the hoards of flayers).

shako, ss, tgods, smoke, titans, war travs, loh, cmoon ammy, ravenfrost, manald. tstroke in inventory for act bosses. naj staff for teleing over baal moat. 2x jav skill charms, anni. dealt around 36k charged strike damage (get this as high as you can. a good zon is the fastest act boss killer).

also, any ranged attacker can solo baal, as long as you can safely get there.

7. Wolfedude

Wolfedude IncGamers Member

If you are unable to acquire tgods you might try for the helmet, Blackhorns, or the unique ring that has lightning absorb. Using a skellymancer with a teleport amulet should allow you to make the run fairly safely.

8. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

I did a few of them with my trapper running...just spamming mindblast every which way. The problem is that the halls frequently end up choked to the point of not being able to knock things out of the way, and who wants to "kill" monsters on the way to killing monsters?

I'd say that an Orb/CL sorc would be the best or just CL. I think the only naturally LI monster in the throne are gloams, so with either a weakish orb or a strongish merc CL should be able to take everything else.

9. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera IncGamers Member

Phat......read my post about solo MF runs, we go over how a necro can solo Baal in hell quickly and safely.

My necro is 90, and here's what he uses:

Shako w/ Ist
    Tal Rasha armor
    Ali baba socketed with mf jewels
    homunculus
    string of ears
    marrowwalk
    rare jewelry

My lightning and cold resists are maxed, cold is 70, poison is near Zero (I keep an antidote potion in my inventory at all times)

my merc has Guillaume's Face, Hone Sundin (sp?), and some mf armor

once I get to Baal, it takes about 2 minutes and he's toast. I haven't come close to dying in about 15 runs today, even with big gloam packs. As far as I'm concerned, this necro is geared for the hardest fights solo in hell with nice MF, about 350 plus another 100 on the merc.

10. slick4hire

slick4hire IncGamers Member

VitisVinifera

Very cool name... Problem is, I can't seem to function right on MF runs when I have had to much of the aged juice...

:lol:

11. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera IncGamers Member

heh I seem to have taken that to an art........most of my character's names are inspired by the fermented juice......I think tonight will be another of those nights, as I have to empty out some inventory

12. PhatTrumpet

Maybe I'll try it with my Summoner after all. I haven't even ventured down there with him yet, as he hasn't done Anya and is only hovering around 30 resist all (58% cold). He's got about a 1.2k dmg Spear, max block, 600 BoneArmor, and just under 1k life, but I also have a decent amount of MDR from Viper and Dwarf... I imagine this should at least allow me to take a hit or two from those god-forsaken Gloams. And we all know how godly Decrepify is.

I'll keep you posted... if the Necro doesn't work out I'll either cave and make a Hammerdin or try a Blizzard Sorc.

13. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

resists aint that big of a deal for a summoner. i quested through the game with 20+ light res for the most part (finally switched to my good res gear for worldstone, 40+ light res, untwinked). gloams spawned in two areas when i quested: plains of despair and worldstone. you can just imagine my surprise when i killed izzy with that low of light res.

the key is to always summon your golem ahead of you. it doesn't matter what type it is: it's there to detract the lightning away from you. and a tip for summoning the golems: summon them at the corners of your screen, and not the edges. much, much safer that way.

as for alternatives, i'm not sure if a blizzard sorc is the way to go. achmel's skeletons are always ci: a second elemental attack might be better. and i'll go ahead and second mouse's suggestion of a dual tree sorc, but instead of cl, i think fireball is better. with this build though the main killer is orb, as you only ever need fball for achmel's skellies/succubi.