Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Advice for Nightmare

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by sterces48, May 5, 2008.

1. sterces48

sterces48 IncGamers Member

Advice for Nightmare

I'm making a Meteorb sorc and she's level 46, atm. I've almost got Frozen Orb maxed and I have 8 into Cold Mastery like the guide I'm following advised. I'm pretty sure I can go onto Nightmare and handle most of it pretty well. Is there any advice I could get for it? I have an Act 2 Defiance merc that is near my level so he should be good to tank. My resists are horribly low and I don't have a decent 1-hand weapon to make an Ancient's Pledge runeword. Are there any other easy sources of resistances that you could advise? I don't really have any irreplaceable pieces of gear. I'm currently using a circlet with +118 mana that I'm kind of attached to seeing as mana is such an issue. lol. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: I currently have 70 str, near base dex (I think), 70 vit and about 70 energy. I have something near 65 unspent points and I haven't done the stats point from Act 3 in normal, yet. I imagine that I should get my str up enough to equip a spirit monarch, which means I need 156 str I believe. This is my first character back into the game, so I have no gear and nothing that is a guaranteed addition to strength that I have at my disposal. Should I keep saving points like I am now in case I run into some great gear that gives strength? Should I get my dex up for max block like I've been reading? Max block seems like a big investment. I don't plan to pvp with this build. I just want to MF for future builds. Basically, this edit is asking where I should go with my stat points. I know where my skills are going for this meteorb build. I just don't know if I should make these huge investments in str and dex. Thanks, again. Sorry for the long post.

2. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Re: Advice for Nightmare

Your FO skill should be strong enough to start on Nightmare, and it should get you through without too much problems.

For your resistances, you can always return to Act2 normal and shop a 3-socket Kite Shield from a vendor (I think Fara can sell them). Stick 3 Perfect Diamond's in that, and it'll get you a decent start. After that, I'd start gambling boots from vendors - with a some luck you can get some really, really good boots. You can also trade for a Skin of the Vipermagi for a few PGems, and that's a fantastic armour for any sorc. Those three alone should get your resists high enough for Nightmare. Focus more on Fire and Lightning resistances, since those two elements are more dangerous than cold and poison (in PvM, at least). I find ~50 resistances to be plenty for nightmare, so you don't have to go all-out to get them max'ed either.

As for your stats, personally I'm a fan of Spirit, and I'm not a fan of blocking (unless you can pre-plan what shield you're going to use, the dexterity requirement isn't worth it to me). So I say no-dexterity, and ~150 in strength (more or less, depending on how much you want to count on from equipment and charms - personally I'd rather just spend the points in str and be done with it, and 20 wasted points is only 40 life, so it's not a huge loss if you end up with a few extra in strength).

3. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

A high-level FO will make you cruise through most of Nightmare. There are very few CI's, and the huge AoE power of this spell makes me shudder.

4. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

You mean you're using a staff because you didn't find a decent 1-handed weapon? You can make a Spirit sword with cheap runes (Tal-Thul-Ort-Amn) or if you can't even find those runes you can always shop for a 20% Fastest Cast Rate wand, preferably with +mana. If you're going the no-block route is better to shop a 3 sock Kite Shield and simply stuck 3 Perfect Diamonds. It will net you better resists than Ancient's Pledge. Stealth armor is ridiculously cheap (Tal+Eth) and give nice stats (but no resists).

5. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

Your resist can't be any worse than -30, so just stay away from LE's and beetles and you will be fine until act 5. Your FO should be powerful enough that you literally clean everything off the screen before they have a chance to hit you.

6. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Indeed, you can compare the FO to a meat shredder in Normal/Nightmare - nothing escapes it's wrath. Literally.