Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Advice for Newbies

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Joyotoki, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Joyotoki

Joyotoki IncGamers Member

Advice for Newbies

Okay, so let's play a little make-believe. Your friend just recently discovered D2, and they're a complete newbie to this type of online RPG. You're a well seasoned D2 player. What is the most important piece of advice you can give your friend?

2. Pombe

Pombe IncGamers Member

Don't let the annonymous nature of online play turn you into another faceless jerk in cyberspace. There are already far too many of those around.

Be pleasant and polite to people and you will be rewarded.

3. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

"If you find any gold/brown items, you give them to me...that is how things work in Diablo 2" :D

4. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

If I ever see you speaking Leet, I'm smacking you.

Oh, and add a X2 to what Pombe said.

Don't hesitate to ask questions even if you think you'll be ridiculed. Even if the first 5 people who answer make fun of you, the 6th may be the one to come in and leave you more educated than you were before. Knowledge is Power.

Try and surround yourself with a solid group of friends so you have some sort of sanctuary against the cesspool that is most of Public B.net and may allow you to retain a decency throughout your playing days. Allow this group to grow but be don't be too trusting at first. There are some sick people who'll relish your losses just because there are no repercussions. Any and all of your beliefs about human decency will actually be tested.

5. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Basically what the other people said, and also, direct him to these forums and this site. They are both very good resources, and are what kept me playing for so long.

6. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

"Read The Manual."

Questions that truly irritate me include:

"How do u change hotkeys?"

"How do you use tp scroll?"

"Is there a map?"

"How do I join party?"

etc, etc ...

7. Jonashi

Jonashi IncGamers Member

Be polite, say please when necessary.

Do not spam or add people to your friend-list without asking them first.

Join games meant for your lvl and do not rush too much. You'll learn the most on the lower lvls of the game.

And don't be afraid to start over. And over... And over...

And good luck.

8. AlterEgoNL

AlterEgoNL IncGamers Member

Two lines of advice are:

"Don't let yourself become just another 'want-to-have-all-best-stuff-NOW' person."

and

"Play the game as it was intended, don't start a stats-fetish for a while: enjoy the experience."

Alot of people have great equipment already, they either play (and have been doing so) for eons and have muled the 'needed' stuff for each new character they create or they trade/buy more than play just to have the goodies. While eventually the game boils down to a frenzied 'game' of collecting leet stuff and building perfect eh builds, its much more fun to discover yourself while playing with the stuff you find yourself.

About the fetish thingy: personally I don't care too much about levelling fast and/or defeating hell difficulty in under 1 hour. Therefore I can relax at the comp, maiming endless critters with weapons/skills that are probably not the most efficient to use. While it is interesting to have some insight in how the game computes stuff, I don't think that this insight (and the ways to use it) should be ones main reason to play D2.

Hm.. while reading my advice to the newcomers I realise that my playstyle is only one possible option. The things I've said can be appealing to veterans tho.. nothing wrong with them (if you like to work while playing a game), but the advice is aimed at the new people.

Last thing, be friendly to others, don't use 'leet' phrases (WUG anyone?) and trust all in the same manner as you'd trust total strangers in real life.. but above all ENJOY THE GAME..

:)

9. warlock_666

warlock_666 IncGamers Member

you've all missed out the single most important piece of advise that its possible to give someone.

when youre trading with someone, NEVER NEVER EVER say "wug"

that one gets right on my tits :rant:

yea also like the others have said ask plenty of questions, because anyone on diablo 2 who is over 12 years old and hasnt just learned the word 'noob' will be happy to help you.

I love when peopl ask me about stuff, i take a long time showing them things and if theyre nice i usually give them some 'godly' gear (godly compared to their previously 'godly' 2 socketed bardiche :teeth: ) Once i demonstrated the old atma's tavern drop scam to someone. they appreciated it and it made me feel like i have a purpose on this game other than just to kill mephisto over and over and over and over...........

EDIT: Crap i read the post above mine and it says wug, i thought id got there first!!!!! :lol:

10. AlterEgoNL

AlterEgoNL IncGamers Member

Wug

:winner: hehe.. only one comment left to make.. WUG!

j/k, I guess that I beat you to it because you were prolly playing THE game whereas I am officially at work now :howdy:

11. warlock_666

warlock_666 IncGamers Member

lol im always on the forums at college dont worry dude!!

o **** i got a lesson bye!!

12. Daemonaz

Daemonaz IncGamers Member

- When creating a character, keep your fingers off that Hardcore box.
    - When leveling, do not try ALL skills you have, concentrate on 2.
    - Start a game and do not forget to fill in the password field.
    - If however you wind up in a public game, do not speak, squelch anyone that addresses you and wants something from you.
    - If someone calls you a noob, check his level, if he is 15 levels or more lower; ignore and press the squelch button, if not immediately leave the game.
    - Do not under any circumstance join any of the chat channels.
    - If however you wind up in one, do not ever give your password to anyone, not even if they say they work for Blizzard or Bnet.
    - Do not trade with anyone but me.
    - EVERYONE is out to scam you.
    - And one more time: The Squelch button is your best friend.

13. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

To expand on what Daemonaz said...

- When creating a character, keep your fingers off that Ladder box. :rant: :D

14. Daemonaz

If someone says WUG to you, ask him what he means. If the reply to that question is: YOU STUPID NOOB. Reply kindly "I might be a noob, but at least I have mastered the English language in high school unlike you." and remember the squelch button, once said person starts his spamming.

15. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

Amen to that...

16. ericbres

ericbres IncGamers Member

Geez, I am going to have to disagree.
    As a new player ... they have yet to find their niche.
    When I first began, I created one of each kind of character. Built them up to level 45-50 ... trying a little of every kind of skill to see what I like the most and see what was most effective for my game playing style. Don't let your new bud fall into the "cookie cutter" baloney.

Once I decided how I liked to play each character ... THEN I deleted them and created a new one designed for that build.
    I still have 7 characters ... one for each class. They each have specific builds ... but they are all my 2nd or 3rd attempt.
    And right now I am LOVING each and every one of them!
    I log on at night and have to really think about which one I want to play that day. It really adds to the fun.

I relate it to when I was a kid ... do I only eat cheeseburgers and fries because I know they are good and everyone else likes them? Nope ... you gotta try ALL the food (except eggplant and oysters) and then decide which you like best.

17. Daemonaz

I never said Cookie Cutter build. I'm just saying that someone can get disinterested (yes I know many people like that, my wife included) if their character turns out to suck.

I've tried Clerics and Poison Necros and Throwing Barbs and god knows what, but I can assure you, those are not the classes you want to start out with, and those are certainly not the classes that attract to everyone. In fact they attract to a very small select group, given the amount of NOOB message I see when playing my cleric. Not to mention the amount of players thinking I'm attacking them.

A person has to start out simple... trying all skills is nice. I agree I did the same when I started playing, but like I said before it might turn certain people off if their character sucks.

EDIT: Trying all skills would be the best option if you play SP (like I started), but if you join the masses on Bnet, and you don't want everyone to make fun of you. And you don't want to see everyone kill 500 monsters at once while you struggle with one, then my advice is: concentrate on 2 skills.

18. festers50

festers50 IncGamers Member

Trust no one ... unless you know where they live ;)

19. Daemonaz

...And you know that you are bigger than them.

20. ericbres

ericbres IncGamers Member

I see exactly what you are saying Daemonaz.
    It does stink being in a party on BNet and standing there hacking away teeny piece by piece on that one Flayer while the rest of your party is mowing down the massed in seconds.

Could turn someone off quite quickly to the game ...