Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Advice for Necro(non-LOD)!

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Voldomort, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Voldomort

Voldomort IncGamers Member

Advice for Necro(non-LOD)!

Ok, I'm playing DII without the expansion.

I've got patch 1.05, I think, or something. It's right after they nerfed the radius of CE.

Anyway, my question is this:

I'm level 24, and stuck at a crossroads. I have invested very little points in ANY skills whatsoever. I have no points in skellys, and the only thing I have put more than one point in is CE, which I have 3. Anyway, Blood Golem is decent, but dies to quick, I invested a point into Iron Golem(though I have a backup save), but he sucks. I have to waste a decent item, and he still dies, seemingly, as quick as BG. Should I invest in IG or FG, or should I stick with my tried and true BG? I have 16 points to invest. Also, what are some must have skills for higher difficulties? Dim Vision, Golem Mastery(I have 1 pt in GM) ect? Are they decent before the expansion?

Also, how should I distribute my stats. I've read through all the crap and deciphered this: Raise Mana to 50, Str to 100, and invest the rest in Vitality. We cant seem to agree about Dex, so I'm leaving it alone. Also, a lot of guides say Raise mana 50, but I assume they mean raise it to 50 points, and not raise it by 50 making it 75. It's small things like that, that confuse us newbs.

Also, will this build hold it's on in Hell before and after expansion? Sorry, one more thing, should I max Bone Spirit, or just 1pt it? I'm assuming posion is a no-no.

Sig: "I guess stupidity could be considered a learning disorder."--Tony Soprano

2. Voldomort

Bump

Bump

3. hellrazzer23

hellrazzer23 IncGamers Member

since its 1.05 i would go with the easy cookie cutter build of bloodgolem and iron maiden. easy, cheap, and effective. hell its a slow killer though.

and in LOD, this probably wont work that well.

4. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

It seems that you didn't plan your build. Thus spreading your points to thin to fast. You are only level 24. The best thing is to scrap the Necro and build a new one. Try to figure out what you want before rushing into things. As suggested above the BG + IG is very strong. As are Revives.

5. Sigus

Sigus IncGamers Member

An easy thing to do would be to start again and focus on what type of necro you want to be. CE can still be good and IM//BG is always there :scratch:

6. Voldomort

Did you even read my post? I am now level 25 with 16(14 + 2 you get from quests) left to spend. The skills I have specced in are as follows.

Amp Damage 1(pre req)
    Iron Maiden 1
    Corpse Explosion 3
    Clay Golem 1
    Blood Golem 1
    Teeth 1(pre req)
    Bone Spear 1(pre req)
    Golem Mastery 1

Doesn't most every build require these basic points to spend? Could you please elaborate on what you say, because the points really aren't spread out that much. Maybe your joking? Did you seriously get through hell without one points invested in each of those skills? I'm not sure you can(might be wrong), with the exception of Golem Mastery.

Every point is in something that is well worth the investment. What do you mean start over? How should I make him then, give me a plan. I'm suddenly aware you might be a troll.

Unless, of course, you are talking about stat points, which are even less spread out than my skill points.

I have planned this build for hours, but now I'm confused as to what to spend my next points in. Blood Golem and Iron Maiden sound good.

I'm not flaming, please, just elaborate. What should I spend them in, and what points have I wasted? I just don't understand.

7. Voldomort

See above post.

8. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

you'll get nowhere fast with horseshiit like this!

g

:yep:

9. Voldomort

"Strategy Article : Necromancer Strategies
    Author: Larofeticus -- 23 July, 2000

The Necromancer According to Larofeticus

Table of Contents

• Newbie Mistakes

• I Discover the Necromancer Combo
    • Struggling Further through the Game
    • The Plan
    • In Conclusion

For about two years I've waited to play Diablo 2. For a year I've known I would be a Necromancer when that time came. There is something familiar about leading my own personal army; I think it has to do with being a Starcraft player. I've played three Necromancers to level 30 and seen every skill. The following is my opinion on how to create the most powerful Necromancer with the least amount of difficulty.

Newbie Mistakes

I started like just about anyone would with no game experience and minimal background reading; I made an army of skeletons. I had fun.. until fighting for the Horadric Malus. Despite several points in skeleton mastery the smith guy (not sure on his name exactly) would kill each minion with minimal effort. After running out of corpses and just plain running away, I had to kill him with Iron Maiden and re-raising a clay golem. I figured it was a fluke until I made it to Andariel. She was much worse than the smith because her poison attack killed ALL my minions (and nearly myself) with one shot. It took several trips to town and 24 golems but I did get her eventually, and again with Iron Maiden. (BTW: if you open Andy's door and see champions or a unique monster.. RUN AWAY! You will most likely be taken to low heath by poison and shot to death with a tainted lightning ball. Just re-create the game.)

I Discover The Necromancer Combo

Act II was much of the same with the small exception Bone Spear. Unfortunately I had no extra points for it because of the Skeleton pack. Duriel was much easier than Andariel, however. Why? Blood Golem! He's your own personal warrior with a strong starting attack and 31% life steal, but that's not the best part. Iron maiden acts as if the creature being hit deals the damage, and applies any special bonuses, including 31% life steal. As long as you keep Iron Maiden on all attackers, the blood golem is impervious to melee assault and returns a nice bit of life to you every time he gets hit. Duriel didn't like this much.

Struggling Further Through the Game

By the time Act III and IV came I was set in my ways. I had wasted about 20 points on skeletons and had minimal points in everything else. I had a now minimally effective level 1 bone spear on left click and Decrepify on the right. I was doing quite poorly now, and had grown to hate Mephisto. Once again, his attack killed all my skeletons at once. I returned to town several times, wasted the lives of many a mercenary, and lost my own life often too. I think Mephisto is more difficult than Diablo for one glaring reason: one of his attacks is a Frozen Orb looking ice attack that did about 150 damage in one strike and flew VERY fast, making it difficult to avoid. Diablo may have more HP and stronger attacks, but they are easily avoidable with enough stamina. (Especially the lightning attack that looks like he's holding a Roman Candle.) I made it through hell, used Iron Maiden and Blood Golem to kill Izual, died several times in the Chas Sanctuary, fought Diablo for an hour, and made the discovery every Necromancer needs to make. Skeletons suck.

My second Necromancer put one point in every skill except Corpse Explosion, Iron Golem, Bone spear, and avoided skeletons completely. This time I planned to have an ultra-powerful Bone Spear and shoot at was attacking my Golem. I went all the way to Nightmare: Act II and restarted when I, disappointingly, didn't get another Horadric Cube, and decided those 7 points would be better spent on Bone Spirit. Now I knew exactly what I wanted.

The Plan

To make an effective Necromancer that will be useful all the way to Hell/Hell you must capitalize on skills that are always effective because they turn a monsters strength against itself. All Slvl 1 skills are pure crap. Put a point in Teeth and Amplify Damage, then save the rest. Find yourself a good weapon for these levels and use Amplify Damage to your advantage.

For levels 6 to 12, put one point in Clay Golem and up to 5 or 6 points in Corpse Explosion. This skill is a great panic button if you get stuck in a bad minion pack and is also useful throughout the entire game. Weaken has a nice radius, but you'll never use it again after level 12. Poison Dagger will never be useful again after Act 1.At levels 12 to 18 you should split your points between Golem Mastery and Iron Maiden. Iron Maiden is another always useful skill, is REALLY good with 6 or more points in it, and gives a bit of sadistic pleasure every time you watch a monster kill itself and laugh about how stupid it is. Terror has a tiny radius, and is only useful in rare circumstances. Skeleton mages are a little too random, (recasting to get the right kind is a big pain) they never get more HP, and don't have very strong attacks. I don't like bone wall because it's difficult to aim, very weak, and your own minions will kill it before it does any good.

Levels 18 to 24: Put one point in Bone Spear and the rest in Blood Golem. Now you can use Iron Maiden and Blood Golem to great effect, just make sure you use bone spear on ressurectors and ranged attackers. Poison Explosion is strong, but the radius is too small, and corpse explosion is sooo much better. Life tap is only useful if you're using a physical attack which you shouldn't be at this point in the game, and takes the space of a more useful curse or skill.

Levels 24 to 30: Spread these points between Summon Resist, Golem Mastery, and Blood Golem. Summon Resist is especially effective against Evils. Iron Golem is nice but wastes an item and never gets a stronger attack, and can't compete with your now level 6 or 7 Blood Golem. Bone Prison has the same problem as Bone wall. Decrepify has a great set of benefits, but it has a terrible duration (2 seconds) and a bad radius with a point bonus of whopping .2 seconds. All you would ever do is keep recasting it.

Level 30 and Beyond: Put the rest of your points into Bone Spirit, and any bonus points into Golem Mastery, Blood Golem, or Iron Maiden. Replace Bone Spear with Bone Spirit on your left click. I've heard good things about Revived and they get stronger with stronger monsters, but they are slow, stupid, and use points in skeleton mastery, which you shouldn't have. Fire Golem is strong and has neat Holy Fire type damage, but is useless against fire resistant monsters despite being healed by them. Poison Nova is neat, looks cool, but works worse than it looks. It's damage is high, but 8 seconds is a LOOOOONG time; you'll be dead before they are.

In Conclusion

There you have it. All your points are in useful skills, no points wasted except prerequisites, and a powerful combo that would have any person or smarter than average monster think twice before attacking you.

Good luck with him, I hope he serves you well.

Larofeticus - Priest of Rathma:"

This is directly off DiabloII.net. What do you think of this strategy? It fits my current build perfectly.

10. Voldomort

Wow, how helpful. I sincerely hope you don't represent the rest of this board. Now off you go, and thanks again for the advice.

Anyway, I thought I explained that I wasn't flaming, but it's understandable that I would be upset after someone tells me to erase my 15 hour game with no reason or explination behind it. I simply asked for one. I was asking if he read my post because it clearly explained that I was saving my points for a good strategy. Saying that the points were too spread out didn't make any sense to me and I asked him to explain. It's called conversation. It's not always polite, but it doesn't have to be vulgar. If you want a flame war, you'll have to look somewhere else, that's the old me. Rise above, my friend.

11. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

i was just saying that your retort to MM who is a verteran around here, and quite helpful, was horseshiit. Thusly, horseshiit like what you posted will get you nowhere.

I don't play classic, so i have no gameplay help, but I tried to give you forum help.

g

12. gods_pawn

gods_pawn Banned

my suggestion? upgrade to the newest version.

1.05 was the apocalypse of diablo - the sheer and utter downfall of anything previously going.

get to 1.10 if you can, or at least 1.07. waaay better, and you won't to so many balance issues to deal with.

13. Voldomort

Ok, no problem. My retort was a little uncalled for, but as I said before, I was upset.

14. Voldomort

Thank you, do you have any idea where I could DL any of those patches?

Also, would my current character be affected? Ex. My corpse explosion radius is halved right now, but if I reinstalled and played 1.00, would my CE radius return to normal?

15. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

Log onto battle.net and it automatically downloads the latest patch. Or just visit www.battle.net or search google if you want another patch :)

16. Mad Mantis

Yes I read your post. I guess I interpreted the line "I have invested very little points in ANY skills whatsoever" in a different way than you meant it.

Not every build requires those points. See what I mean with planning?

But not all is lost. If you decide to go with BG + IM and Revives you are actually doing good. Also pumping CE can be a good idea. And with spreading then too thin I meant that you put your points in a lot of Golems and suddenly you felt like you needed to reconsider. I guess I could have rephrased that remark.

Don't call me a troll. I hate that. I am a serious Necro player and most of my posts make sense. Except those in the OT thread.

Sometimes I scrap a build that took me a month or two of gaming. It is all part of the building process. Sometimes the things you planned don't work out the way you thought they would.

Thanks G. Have a beer. :drink:

17. Voldomort

Not to sound like an a$$ kiss, but I apoligize for the misunderstanding, seriously.

Anyway, I downloaded 1.10 from blizzard.com, and I was wondering, does the Blood Golem + Iron Maiden still work on Classic in this patch. The patch notes on the site give notes for both versions of the game, and I was wondering with this new patch if I should rethink the above strategy?

Also, with this patch, is it possible to use Synergy in classic?

I know these are hard questions, so thanks for all the help. :worship:

18. Mad Mantis

The synergies should work. Although I am not certain on the BG + IM combo.

19. Voldomort

Ok, I've come up with this build for level 76, act 4 Hell V1.10:

Summoning:
    20 Raise Skeleton
    20 Skeleton Mastery
    1 Raise Mage
    1 Clay Golem
    1 Blood Golem
    1 Iron Golem
    6 Revive
    1 Golem Mastery
    2 Summon Resist

Poison & Bone:
    1 Teeth
    3 Corpse Explosion
    2 B Spear
    20 B spirit

Curses:
    4 Amplify Damage
    1 Dim Vison
    1 Attract
    1 Decrepify
    1 Iron Maiden

I plan to max raise skeleton first, then Skeleton mastery, then continue to revive/curses, and last, but not least Bone Spirit(because I feel it's the best investment opportunity I have left after the rest of this build is complete. Note: I used the Fishymancer(I think) build to start from with this, but instead of mastering CE, I will go BSpirit. A few other small changes have been made as well. I feel this build best fits my Necro at this point. Also note, that I will spend 0 in dex, and 25 in Energy, and send most of my stat pts. to Vitality.

Of course, Bone Spear will be raised along with CE and teeth if I decide to level any more.

BTW, the BG is now getting ripped to shreads. IM works better with IG or CG.

Feedback, comments, please.

20. Mad Mantis

Let's start with the criticism. Too much points in Revive, SR and Amp. The BSpirit will not give you that much damage, but you can work with it.

Nice build for the rest.