Advice for my first Assassin build?

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
Advice for my first Assassin build?

I have a few 'Sins in double digits beyond 12 that I take almost all of my mules to, but none have I truly tried to play as an actual character. Now I'm thinking of getting one at least to the socket quest or even into nightmare, and was wondering what the first build I make would be.

I'm obviously not a beginner to the game, but I tend to keep a few claws on every account. I have a couple ethereal Bartuc's and was thinking of a bladesin (best use of an ethereal weapon, I'd think), but Blade Sentry and Blade Shield aren't synergistic to it or each other like other traps. Still, it's a thought.

Anyway, I have four Shadow Disciplines skillers that I can either use or trade (have them on a trade thread now) as well as one Martial Arts and one Traps. I have plenty of other gear, like jewelry, and would like some advice. Thanks.

Naliworld

Diabloii.Net Member
You didn't really give us any information as to which playstyle/character you prefer...there are all types of viable Assassins, from melee to ranged, some in-between, and a few oddball builds thrown in for good measure. Try taking a gander through the Strategy Compendium, maybe build one in SP using an editor and see which appeals to you.

Since you mentioned the Blade skills, this may be of particular note to you(don't bother about BSentinel/BShield, not much hope for those skills). However, given that, technically, you only need one point to play a Furysin, it helps if you pick a more conventional primary/secondary build(depending on how often you use BF) as a backup.

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
Wasn't looking for specific build advice

I know about the build designs and the links to their guides. I was looking for advice as to which style of build would be best for the first character someone makes of this class. For instance:

Whoever said:
If you're a melee-oriented type of player (get in their face and don't let up until they're toast) then stick with Martial Arts. Two main types are elemental and power: the former uses Fists of Fire, Claws of Thunder and Blades of Ice synergies to Phoenix Strike and finishes off enemies with Dragon Claw. The charge-ups are all claw-class abilities that don't depend on the damage of claws that much, but are rather mana-intensive and add damage that can't be leeched from, so take this into consideration when choosing gear. The power setup can be used without claws, and usually are best with kicking Assassins. Tiger Strike and Cobra Strike are the only charge-ups, so less to think about when building their power, but Dragon Talon/Tail/Flight use depends on the situation and the right choice makes all the difference. Great boots and a fast weapon make all the difference with this build as only a bit of leech can keep you alive.

If you' interested in non-melee builds, then there's a variety to choose from, such as the entire Traps tree, as well as a lot in Shadow Disciplines...
Then, after deciding which is easiest to build from an equipment standpoint (what I already have available on my accounts) I can choose the build that fits my tendencies and hit the link to that guide. Guess I'll choose a non-melee build since I don't have incredible damage/+skill claws that aren't ethereal, probably a Psychic Hammer or trap setup, but I'll have to look at the guides to become more aware of their limitations.

slappy sam

Diabloii.Net Member
Naliworld said:
maybe build one in SP using an editor and see which appeals to you.
Umm... I don't think this is appropriate, especially coming from a mod. Editors are supposed to be frowned upon, even single player ones AFAIK.