Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Advice for a low level smiter

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Innocence1, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Innocence1

Innocence1 Diabloii.Net Member

Hi Folks, I got a level 17 smiter with 8 point in smite. I use civerbs crudgel with 8 to 57 damage for normal attack which is higher than my smite attack for which I use steelclash with smite damage 2 to 5. Now one of my questions is do I use smite or normal attack cause my smite damage is 6-16 and my normal damage is 18-126 both with might. I seems the normal damage is way higher. When do I start to use smite as main attack?

Ive played diablo 2 before and now have a level 85 hammerdin so I am familiar with levelling and basic knowledge of diablo 2 but I never had a smiter before so I could use some help. My guide covers all the endgear I need but I need to know what gear to use at lower levels before I can afford or wear endgear. Specially what shield to use and when to use smite. I allready got goblin toe so thats no problem.

This is the guide I use:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=24266128

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

The right answer depends on the question whether your goal is to have a good smiter at the first place, no matter what he's good for, or to have an effective character for Über Tristram. I will assume it's the second.

If your character is meant for PvP or if you disagree with my opinion about its usefulness in PvM, mentioned below, use another build until he can wear his final gear, then respec him into a smiter.

Now to the off-topic part, my opinion about smiters:

In PvM, smite isn't a good general purpose attack in my opinion. In general, smiters suck at PvM, even when just doing Über Tristram. Smite is only useful versus the very toughest enemies which are Baal and the Übers themselves, else skills like zeal are better.

If it about doing Über Tristram, I would make a fana-zealot. He has one point in smite because it's a prerequisite for holy shield and that's all you need versus Übers because the point of using it is that it always hits, so you can deliver crushing blows safely. Extra damage is needed for leeching life and for the last few blows when the enemy is down to a sliver. Instead of adding skill points to smite for that purpose, it's better to get a damage bonus of a kind which adds to smite damage. That's the Grief runeword, there's nothing which even starts to compare with it with respect to smite.

3. Innocence1

So you think a fana-zealot is better than a smiter to do Uebers? I wouldn't know. When I played earlier, when 40 pgms were still worth a HR, I used a paladin with a socketed club with BerBer in it. Can you reccoment a guide for this fana zealot build? Does he also use smite?

4. krischan

I can recommend my typical fana-zealot from my old bnet days :). If you can afford Last Wish, this one should be no problem. Apart from Über Tristram, he can also do Baal, Organ Übers (that's why he has an Enigma armor) and the Dclone. For keys, I used a chain lightning/frozen orb sorceress BTW.

Skills:

Maxed fanaticism, zeal, sacrifice (zeal synergy), holy shield. I didn't invest anything into the holy shield synergy.
    One point in redemption - to get rid of corpses which some monsters might (Baal minion wave 2) resurrect or (Nihlathak) blow up.
    One point in salvation - for emergencies, like when a conviction boss comes along at the wrong time
    Rest into resist fire or resist lightning (improves max resist by one for each two skill points when inactive)

Stats:

Strength - enough for gear
    Dexterity - enough for maximum blocking when holy shield is on
    Vitality - all the rest
    Energy - Nothing

Gear:

Guillaume's helm + Um
    Grief phase blade
    Enigma (Chain of Honor or Smoke in Über Tristram)
    Herald of Zakarum + Pdiamond or Um
    Dracul's Grasp
    Thundergod's Vigor
    Goreriders
    Highlord's Wrath
    Dual leech ring (low mana leech is OK)
    Ravenfrost
    Weapon switch: Wizardspike+Spirit paladin shield (any amount of res on the shield and fcr on the runeword is OK, as Wizzy adds more than enough allres and the 75% fcr breakpoint is reached in any case), lifetap wand versus Übers.

Charms to maximize resists, otherwise mf, life, frw, fhr or whatever, plus torch and perhaps an Annihilus.

Enough allres GCs in the stash for 125% excess allres in Über Tristram together with Smoke (5 ones with 15% needed) or CoH (4 needed). Put away tomes and fill up all the inventory if necessary.

In my opinion, 50% CB from Guillaume's and Goreriders are enough for an auto-hit skill like smite and Grief makes you leech well enough from lifetap while using it and it also helps at dealing the last bit of damage when CB becomes less effective.

Tactics:

Baal: Teleport in, kill minions, switch to smite, kill Baal. Easy.

Dclone: Kill monsters with zeal, smite Dclone, done.

Organs: Lilith is the only serious threat. Take care to kill those succubi which can cast amplify damage and, if necessary, get rid of the curse by TPing back to Malah before facing Lilith. I would also replace Wizardspike with the lifetap wand and use it on Lilith (see next paragraph).

Über Tristram: Switch to CoH/Smoke, allres GCs and the lifetap wand instead of Enigma and Wizardspike. Use smite versus Übers and zeal on the rest. Kill Über Meph first under any circumstances. Try to lure him away from Baal, but if that isn't working on the spot, don't wait for the two summing dozens of nasty monsters. Don't wait for Dracul's lifetap to kick in, but cast lifetap with the wand. Baal is next, so he stops summoning physical immune monsters. The summons from Diablo are rather useful for leeching back life and mana.

5. Innocence1

Thanks for this build. It's a bit complicated with three different weapons while I only have slots for two. Also, what is a lifetap wand? I remember when I used to play Diablo 2 before that I just hacked at the Uebers with a socketed stick with two Bers in it. Also, if I wear a torch I wouldn't be able to pick up the torch that dropped would I? Is Cathan Seal a good leach ring? Can I use Goblin Toe? It has 35% Crushing Blow. When do I use Grief Phase Blade and Zakarum and when do I use Wizardspike and Spirit. What is a paladin shield? A lot of questions. Since thanking is considered spam I would like to thank you sincerely in advance.

6. krischan

A lifetap wand is a wand with lifetap charges (not with a bonus to the lifetap skill). You can buy them in town, it won't need many shopping attempts.

You only need the lifetap wand when facing Übers while it's in the stash when doing other things. I did Baal with my zealot 90% of the time because it needed some time to gather enough keys for a ÜT visit. The 5% chance to cast lifetap from Dracul's is good enough for that purpose.

7. Innocence1

Thanks for the reply. I've been going over the gear and I have a problem. Grief is a ladder only runeword and the ladder season is allmost over. I don't think I can afford it. Is it possible to do this build without grief?

8. krischan

Yes, but it's harder then. Grief has the advantage that its damage bonus adds to smite damage. Regarding Übers, you mainly deal damage with CB, but the damage bonus provides much more life leech from lifetap (of a pretty stable kind because smite always hits) and also helps at dealing the last small bit of damage for providing the kill. Apart from Last Wish, Stormlash works as well, for example. Some people even use the Black runeword (probably in a phase blade), although I guess that's a temporary solution until they can afford something better.

By the way, the variables on Grief aren't important for a fana-zealot. With a phase blade, he will be at the fastest speed anyway and even with the lowest damage bonus, it's a better one-hander than anything else.

9. Innocence1

I've been studying your guide and there's a couple of things I don't understand. When do I use wizzardspike and why do I even have it? It takes 75 dexterity to equip it. How much dexterity does it take to maximize my block? Do I socket an archon plate with chain of honor or an other armor?

10. krischan

You need much more dex to maximize blocking, even with holy shield. Apart from that, 136 dex are needed in order to equip a phase blade (which is more to keep it maxed if I remember right) and that's your weapon of choice anyway, either for Grief or for Last Wish.

The chance for blocking in percent is base_blocking*(dexterity-15)/(2*level). Holy shield and shield bonuses add to base blocking.

You need Wizardspike for quicker teleportation with Enigma. The reasonable faster cast breakpoint for such a paladin would be 75% which you can achieve with Wizardspike and any Spirit in a paladin shield. It will also add a lot of mana and keep your resists maxed while teleporting. It's not needed in ÜT.

An archon plate is the best armor for CoH because it has the highest base defense among the light armors. Regarding the strength requirement, I think T-God's has a higher one.

11. Innocence1

Thanks. What level do I have to be to do uebers? I have a level 86 hammerdin now that I'm going to restat into a fana-zealot. Is that a high enough level or do I need to do more diabaal runs?

12. krischan

L86 is good enough. Apart from the amount of life, the chance to hit is a level-dependent factor at that level. Regarding the Übers, Smite always hits, so that's not an issue versus them.

Regarding minions, Grief and Last Wish ignore target defense which means that the defense rating is regarded as zero on attacks. That makes the chance-to-hit calculation a kind of level comparison which leads to a 95% chance to hit if your level meets the level of the minions (which is 81 or 82 if I remember correctly).

BTW, before starting to gather organs or entering Über Tristram, I suggest to ensure that the game is at least 5 minutes old, so it won't be deleted if no character is in it. Check that before by leaving and re-entering. Reason: It might happen that your character gets thrown out of the came on these occasions, like when too much fancy stuff is happening with three dozens of Meph's summons casting spells. You might also want to rejoin if your character dies, as it's usually too dangerous to try recovering the corpse. If you are on hardcore, that's not an issue, of course.

13. Innocence1

Thanks. My other Paladin which is and will be a hammerdin and is now level 87 is not strong enough to do Nihlathak. It has enigma, zakarum, shako, magefist and stone of jordan. Do I need higher level for it or more endgear? The shako is umed but the zakarum is not yet umed so my resistances are around 0. Can I also use the fana-zealot to do Nihlathak?

14. krischan

I think a hammerdin is better versus Nihlathak than a zealot because he's better at dealing with crowds, like the monsters around Nihlathak. I would use a Spirit paladin shield for him instead of a Herald of Zakarum because it also has a bonus to casting speed, but that might be a matter of taste. It mainly depends on the question whether you can reach the 125 faster cast breakpoint or if you have to settle with the 75 one. Apart from fcr rings, amulet and a rare fcr circlet with ckill bonuses (might be a bit hard to get), the Arachnid Mesh belt adds 20%.

Versus Nihlathak, it's a good idea to have an item with the "slain monsters rest in peace" property, like the Nature's Peace ring, else Nihlathak will cast corpse explosion on the corpses which is deadly.

15. Innocence1

Thank you very much for all the advice. I've restatted my second hammerdin into a fana-zealot and now its just a matter of collecting enough tradables to trade all the items. Most of the items are just a Pul. At this moment I only have goblin toe, a black club and wizzardspike. One more question about the lifetap wand. Can I get it at hell ankara?

16. krischan

17. Innocence1

I have allmost all endgear except for Enigma and Stormlash. I've been told I don't need Enigma though so I also wont be needing Wizzardspike. What should I socket the Zakarum with? I got an Um but am allready at full resistances. I got Black instead of Stormlash now is that good enough to do Uebers? The knockback will be annoying.

18. Innocence1

I've done Uebers and while getting the organs went well I wasn't able to get a torch cause I couldnt kill Ueber Mefisto. Now I also have Stormlash and next time I'm going to do it with a friend. I fear that my Ueberkiller isn't good enough to kill uebers on its own.

19. krischan

I did it with Stormlash before I could afford a Grief phaseblade and my gaming skills are below average. For me, it was important to be prepared for what to do on which occasion because tend tobedoms confused unexpected situations, like pressing the wrong buttons for changing skills, drinking the wrong potions etc.

Yes, you don't need Enigma. I had it because I also did Baal runs with him which would otherwise take too long.

I would socket the shield with Um or a perfect diamond anyway. You need an additional 125% bonus versus Über Meph's conviction aura, else his minions will be deadly. As written, you can achieve that with a Smoke runeword and a few allres GCs. In addition, you could put on Treachery before entering ÜT, step into a fire somewhere in the game and wait until it triggers fade which offers a bonus to resists for some time. I never did that, however.

In ÜT, I did it like this:
    • As written, wait until the game is more than 5 minutes old, so it won't be deleted if you are thrown out or if you have to leave and re-renter it, like when dying. Try that before spending your organs, just to be sure.
    • Put on extra res gear and the wand with lifetap charges.
    • Enter the portal and approach the center (I preferred to come from south) until you see Über Meph.
    • Cast lifetap on Meph with the wand and and wait until he approaches you (you could cast lifetap on Diablo and Baal as well during that time), so you might be able to fight him alone... but not for too long, else you will get swarmed by his minons. After that, Dracul's will recast lifetap often enough to keep it running.
    • Kill Meph with smite, then Baal, then Diablo, in that order.
    • Versus Meph: Get him killed before anything else. When this is done, you are through the toughest part of the job.
    • Versus Baal: When being mana-drained by his minions, don't drink a rejuv, but just a mana potion because it will provide you with mana replenishment over a few seconds. At this point, you could also afford to leech life and mana by attacking Diablo's minions for a second or two, with zeal.
    • Versus Diablo: Like versus Baal, but now he's all alone (not counting the minions :)).
    • Kill the rest with zeal (not if you have just a Black sword) or lure them to a corner and run away from them (aka "parking monsters").
    • Pick up the torch.

20. Innocence1

Thanks for that reply. Before you replied and before I had Stormlash I tried doing Uebers with Black. I managed to kill all three Uebers guarding the organs and get a complete organset. Then I opened a portal to Ueber Tristram and was only able to kill two of the Ueber Uebers. At the beginning I had most of my stash, my belt and part of my inventory filled up with full rejuvenation potions. At the end I kept dying and having to rejoin to get my gear and I got temp banned. I only had one full rejuvination potion left. Now I have traded two Highrunes for stormlash and I have another 3x3 set and I am collection potions again. An online friend offered to help me doing Uebers. So two questions, what is your advice on potions and how should I socket the Stormlash? Thanks.