Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Advice for 1st time Sorc Build

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Lusiphur_Malache, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Lusiphur_Malache

Lusiphur_Malache IncGamers Member

Advice for 1st time Sorc Build

Not to sure about where to go.

I'm lvl 79 at the moment and skills of note are as follows.

20 Frozen Orb
    1 Cold Mastery
    20 Chain Lightning
    20 Lightning Mastery
    10 Warmth
    +1 in all prequisite skills (apart from Nova which I appear to have put 2 in by mistake)

Equipment.

Occi/Ali
    Lidless/Ryhme
    Tals Armour
    War Travs
    Chances
    Gold Wrap/Tals Belt (not to sure)
    2 Nagels
    +2 skills, +mana/life amulet.

I'm having huge difficulties in Hell, which is getting rather irritating. I'm using an ACT 2 Def Merc (Bonehew, Thievs and Duriels.)

The problem is where I am spending the last 24 (got 4 stored) skill points. Not sure if putting the points into coldmastery would be a waste, or if I shoudl be increasing the CL Synergies.

Was hoping someone here could help me.

Thanks in advane.

2. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

If I were you I would max lightning (synergy for CL, also a good spell for single monsters) and put a couple more into cold mastery. After thats the choice is between pumping more lightning synergies or more cold mastery. As a critique, 10 in warmth was probably a waste, but that is my opinion.

Also you should try to hit the 78 fcr breakpoint for CL and Lightning, that should help alot.

3. spencert

spencert IncGamers Member

I would have suggested maxing CM and rest in CL synergies. However, it seem u have put too many points in warmth. 1 point is all u need there... since mana potion can be bought now. In this case, perhaps u can put 10 points in CM and rest in CL synergies.

Opps... someone beat me to u lol.

4. raiderjb

raiderjb IncGamers Member

Hi

Looking at your skill placement you have virtualy created the CL//FO in the above sticky. Your problem is going to be the 10 points in warmth. Anyway Chain lightning just doesnt do the buisness without Lightning as a synergy.

Ideally you want to max lightning and reach 17 in cold mastery with plus skills.
    In your case you should try to reach +10 skills with GCs and or eq. So out of your available 24 points add six to cold mastery and 18 to lightning, this assumes you level to 99 which although you may intend to do is a right royal pain in the but.

In the land of meer mortals you will reach lvl ** which gives you 13 skill points to play with. Stick em all in lightning.

wrote this presumably while othr 2 wrting their comments ah well no matter

If you havnt done so read the cl//fo sticky build above.

All of course IMHO

Good Luck

5. SuggestiveName

I'm confused, am I Icarus?

6. spencert

spencert IncGamers Member

lol no... icarus was on the other post... i was the one confused... my bad :lol:

7. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

eq needs an overhaul.

only things i would save are the ali, travs, rhyme and ammy.

you should aim for:
    63% fcr
    75% resists in hell, or 145% total after quests.
    75% blocking. i don't know your stat points, but you can still get it with whistans and @150 dex.
    absorbs (even a very small amount will matter, as it takes effect after resists.)
    phys dam reduce

i dunno how much mf you are going for, but i get close to 500% with just ali, rhyme (on the switch,) shako, travs, wealth armor.

you need to lower your mf so you can get more defense and to live longer.

8. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Agree here too. GET RID OF ALL THAT MF GEAR :)
    Do MF when you are higher lvl! Lvling is alot more important than trying to MF poorly.

Sorc mantra: "Never sacrifice killing power for MF".
    Killing power also includes your ability to survive ;)

63% FCR reached, fine. (Occy,Tals' armor+Belt,Lidless)

Keep Amu or try getting a rare +1 or +2 with nice mods or even Tal Amu (then you get a nice mf bonus too...)
    Gloves: Magefist
    Boots: your Wartravs or rare mf boots with 2 resists and faster run walk (can be gambled)
    Rings: Either FCR rngs with mana or some rare rings. If you can get hold of a Ravenfrost, even better.
    Helmet: What are you wearing here? Good options, Lore runeword, Peasent Crown (Shako's little brother), Shako aka Harlequin Crest (rather expensive)

You might think its nice to have all that MF, but its no use to you if you cant kill anything with it :(
    Your merc setup looks fine.

Socket your Lidless with a PDiamond, this will give you +89 resists and then subtract penealties from NM and Hell. I hope you have done both Anya quests in Normal and Nightmare. If you add some good rare boots with ressits and maybe can gamble a rare +1 amu with resist you resists should be way better off aswell.

9. Lusiphur_Malache

Thanks for the advice all.

Was thinking myself that warmth was a slight waste, but when I knew I was using CL I wanted to make sure I wasn't running out a mana at an inopportune monent.

For my Helm I'm using Shako already.

I have TGods stored for hell runs, and have 2 Ravens on the way.

So max lightning synergies..sounds like a plan. Thanks for the advice again.

10. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Your build is actually very close to m0nk's CL/FO Build which you will find in the stickied thread called "Guides thread" ;)

Maxing Lightning for synergies will give you 2 very potent spells, Lightning and Chain Lightning.

11. Lusiphur_Malache

Just started reading it, my stat allotment is identical to his max Vit one as well.

12. SuggestiveName

I would point out that 63 fcr for "normal" spells, but 78 fcr for Chain Lightning and Lightning. It does make a noticable difference in my experience.