Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Adventures of Lena, the naked mercless HC 1.12 Sorceress i

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Insane Wayne, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Jeff Jonsson

Jeff Jonsson Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Adventures of Lena, the naked mercless HC 1.12 Sorceress

Are they still alive?

(let me know if it's inappropriate to bump old threads and I won't do it in the future)

2. Nerigazh

Nerigazh Diabloii.Net Member

As far as I know, they're both still alive, but both Wayne and jiansonz are busy doing other tournaments atm.

3. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

A little progress for Elena. I am building up Blaze for the time being. I still have only a little more than 100 mana, so I like the low mana cost of Blaze. It gets way more efficient with level.

Frozen Orb is at level 5 - strong enough to kill an imp in one casting (if the aim is decent). For imp towers, I used 3x Static and one Orb that exploded "on" the tower (at least that was what I aimed for). Catapults were destroyed with 2x Fire Wall.

Abbadon got lively, with an early Spectral Hit Hell Lord Pack. Fortunately, you can chill those guys in Normal difficulty. Blaze running against slowed Hell Lords was not so scary, but that boss took a long time to kill.

Elena the naked mercless Blaze/FW/Orb Sorceress, Level 38, Arreat Plateau next.

4. Insane Wayne

Insane Wayne Diabloii.Net Member

Wow, I've been away from the forums for over half a year! I was so focused on work and physical training, D2 got lost somewhere. However, I thought of it (and this forum) often, and the HC urge still smoldered. It eventually ignited a spark which has lured me out of my extended break! For many years now, D2 has been the only computer game I played. I knew I'd resume at some point. :)

I have a bit more free time now. I do intend to finish Lena, sometime in the near future, although I will have to knock off months of rust before I dare to risk playing her. I haven't played a single minute of D2 all this time, I wonder how quickly it will all come back? I also have to write up a final thread for my "Peasant" necro, and catch up with my "Randomly Challenged" character. Maybe I'll start a new character and re-acquire my abilities, lest I rush in and kill off my current projects. I'll keep my eye on the forum for any new tournament ideas.

By a happy coincidence, I've come back at a time when a new patch was released, which makes things a bit more interesting. I've just read about it a little, I'll learn more in the coming days I'm sure. :thumbup:

5. Fabian

Fabian Diabloii.Net Member

Wow, nice to see you back Wayne. Hope you keep us updated, always entertaining :)

6. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Nice to see you back Insane Wayne. Don't vanish like that again, you had us worried.

7. Greebo

Greebo Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome back!

This thread is soo much fun to read...

Anyway, as a person who came back to D2 after an 18 months break just recently, I can assure you - it's not as bad. It will all come back within 2 weeks at the most.

Good luck. I hope Lena will make it.

--Greebo

8. VoX Dei

VoX Dei Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome back Insane Wayne!

Good luck with your legendary projects :thumbsup:

9. Insane Wayne

After my long hiatus, I felt I needed to warm up before progressing with Lena. I started a new sorc and semi-cleared Act 1 Normal, practicing my basic spellcasting and footwork, sans merc. After killing Andariel, I decided I had enough practice (or more accurately, I became impatient :yes:).

So I fired up Lena and resumed where I left off, Act 2 NM Rocky Waste. There were plenty of speedy monsters in the desert to keep me on my toes! Gradually, my reflexes improved. Warily, I entered the Stony Tomb. Am I ready for stairtraps yet? That question would have to wait, because there weren't any. No problems with ol' Creepy.

The Halls of the Dead were more lively, with crowded entrance rooms of skeletons. Liberal Ice Blasting kept them at bay, as I targeted the unravelers. On level 2, a pack of bats ambushed me and I was lucky to escape. (Oops, I had forgotten about them, difficult to see!) I remembered to use hydra-scouting towards Bloodwitch's area. I got a fix on her location and wiped out her gang with long-range Blizzards.

In the maggot tunnels, I blindly fired an Ice Blast in front of me as I explored each narrow passage. Running behind it offered me freezing protection should I happen to bump into a line of baddies. With the lead monster frozen, I targeted any champs or bosses waiting in line behind it. One boss in particular was a cause for concern, especially after all his buddies were killed by a Blizzard. With no surviving minions to freezeblock and very little retreating space, I left him alone for a while until I could clear enough running room. I wasn't too worried about Coldworm's chamber, and worried even less when I saw her babies blocked by an urn. :)

All too soon, I found myself at the doorway of a feared area, the Viper Temple. Lena doesn't like viper charges! I played very defensively with lots of scouting. I plugged each doorway with a frozen skeleton whenever possible. Fangskin shocked me with an unexpectedly early appearance. This was my first sensation of D2 peril in a long time, and I fumbled as I grabbed the screenshot, clumsily teleporting. Here, my rustiness showed again, as I badly underestimated the distance to the altar and missed it twice! After burning a rejuv, I made it into the altar and worked on freezing the numerous skeletons that marched in to join me. I got the unravelers lurking in the background and the rest was easy.

Looking back, I made some rash mistakes, like not buffing up with thawing potions, or planning around a lightning shrine. Also, I should have 4 rejuvs ready for Fangskin's area, not Lena's standard red/blue/blue/purple. Yes, it's all coming back now. :scratchchin:

Destroyer Lena, the naked mercless Sorc, level 54, Act 2 Nightmare, Jerhyn's Palace

Incidentally, I upgraded to 1.13 when I loaded up D2 for the first time. I don't plan on using the "respec" bonus for Lena. I've spent so many years planning character stats/skills as being set in stone; it's going to be hard to change that habit!

10. DeathMaster

DeathMaster Diabloii.Net Member

Glad she made it. Looking forward to see more.

11. Morathi

Morathi Diabloii.Net Member

awesome work Wayne! :).

I see you upgraded to 1.13.

What are your thoughts on it?

I am yet to upgrade as i am rather spectical of it, but i am considering upgrading for when i return.

12. Insane Wayne

Lena made quick work of Jerhyn's Palace. The monster rolls were good with limited amounts of archers and mages. Instead I faced large Blizz-friendly foes like Apes, Invaders, and Blunderbores. No problems, although I did retreat and hide from the speedy Fire Eye.

I found a nice rune while clearing the Arcane Sanctuary. Mmm, how I'd love to make a nice "Smoke" quilted armor for Lena, wishful thinking...

The False Tombs presented some challenges with beetles. I faced several packs of champs near the entrances, and boss packs with LEFE, ExtraFastFE, and SpectralLE. Quick footwork and teleports kept me out of their range as I scrambled to lay down some blizzards. Elemental attacks from vampires were equally hazardous. Any stray lightning/fire spells will put Lena into hit recovery, so I need to minimize that. One of the vampire bosses spawned CI, but could not withstand a group a hydras boosted by a newly placed point in Fire Mastery. :)

After a brief battle against Kaa, Lena cleared the True Tomb and prepared for a scary encounter against Duriel. I had a Cold Shrine available near the Canyon Waypoint. I set up a reverse portal, buffed up on stamina and thawing potions, hit the shrine, popped into the staff chamber, and charged in! Here is a screenshot of my stats. With such high cold resistance, Lena soon thawed from any hits suffered. I led Duriel around in circles, into a path of Blizzards, much like I did in Normal. It was very tense, but I avoided any major scares. Woo hoo! :grin:

Destroyer Lena, the naked mercless Sorc, level 56, Act 3 Nightmare, Kurast Docks

I don't have any strong thoughts one way or another. I upgraded to stay current with any future tournaments. From a single-pass perspective, I like the improved rune drops, and the rune text color. The respec is controversial, but can always be ignored or restricted.

13. VoX Dei

VoX Dei Diabloii.Net Member

Great job! Keep those enjoyable progression reports coming :thumbsup:

14. BabyLink

BabyLink Diabloii.Net Member

Nice job there! I hope you'll make it to guardian!

15. nulio

nulio Diabloii.Net Member

Amazing! Good luck with Lena :thumbup:

16. Morathi

Yeah fair enough.

I believe with the new patch, you can now create ladder runewords without having to use RWM?? I believe this is a new change, is it not? I can't remember, haven't read the patch notes for awhile. Anyway, will you take advantage of this and make ladder runewords?

Just curious, because i think i remember you saying how ridiculously over-powered the ladder runewords are given the runes required to make them.

17. Joosh

Joosh Diabloii.Net Member

Unfortunately they did not add the ladder runewords in the new patch, so you still have to use RWM if you wish to access those runewords.

18. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

Nice to read a post from you, Wayne, and good progress with Lena so far! :thumbsup:

Right now, I am on a D2 break (currently involved with playing no-reloads Baldur´s Gate, and internet poker). But when I get back, I´ll probably start off by moving my Elena forwards a bit. She´s still about halfway through A5 Normal.

19. Morathi

Oh cool.

Patch 1.13 has an extra point in my book now :). I will most definetely upgrade to it when i decide get back into D2 (like Jiansonz, i am on a break). Which will probably be when i see a tournament that takes my fancy. I have no motivation at all to continue with my other tourney characters, as pretty much the tournaments they were in are dead now :crazyeyes:.

20. Insane Wayne

Hey good to hear from you too. I look forward to your eventual return and reading about Elena's adventures. :thumbup:

I have a large update for Lena which I will try to fit in sometime this weekend.