Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Advantages of bone runeword armor vs. uniques?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by shazbot, Jul 26, 2010.

1. shazbot

shazbot IncGamers Member

Advantages of bone runeword armor vs. uniques?

Is the bone runeword armor worth getting? I was looking through the old necro guides and couldn't find anything on bone in the equipment guides.

I have a lvl 90 poisonmancer and am currently using a 28 resist vipermagi. But I saw that bone gives +2 to all skills and gives +30 to all resists. The extra +1 skill would make my poison nova a lot better, and I was thinking of switching. Bone doesn't have a bonus to cast rate, but I don't really need to fast cast that much.

In an ideal world I would have an enigma, but that is way out of my price range. Would it be worth it to use my 3os dusk shroud and make bone in it then? Or should I use the 2 ums to buy a better unique armor? And if so, what would be a better alternative? Thanks.

2. Wizdomm

Wizdomm IncGamers Member

Re: Advantages of bone runeword armor vs. uniques?

The "Bone" runeword is only useful for melee necro builds, such as my Acrid Axemancer. The more typical necro builds will be better served with the usual unique/runeword armors...or even trangs.

3. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

If you do not need the 30% FCR Vipermagi gives, Bone will be a slight upgrade, but not by much. Not worth 2 Ums, imo. I'd save those for some other use down the road. If your poisonmancer is the only character you like to play, though, then it might be worth it. There really isn't much else until Enigma.

4. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

I agree with the above posters. Trangs armor would only be useful if you paired it with the gloves and shield - that way, as part of the shield partial set bonus you will get -25% enemy poison resists. They also have sockets open for poison rainbow facets. Otherwise, use vipermagi and save your $$ up for that long-awaited engima.

-f

5. Pailon

Pailon IncGamers Member

XD Wizdomm beat me to it. I was going to say that. By the way his build is amazing check it out. He even has a few vids that show what it can do.

6. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Almost none. About every necro build uses enigma for ending gear that that is the truth.

7. shazbot

shazbot IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the replies. Probably saved me from wasting two ums.

So is basically vipermagi the best choice then, without enigma? I'm wearing a three piece trangs of gloves/shield/belt so there's no need for the armor as well since it doesn't give me a plus skills boost to poison/bone spells.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot IncGamers Member

Bone runeword is useful, but not particularly so for poisonmancers. Poisonmancers get big damage by working with synergies, and the +skills don't do anything for your synergies. Getting one more point out of your poison nova is not likely to be more than a marginal improvement. As has been stated, Enigma is the far superior choice for a RW that gives +2 to all skills (although a heck of a lot more expensive too).

It is more useful for skellimancers, as you'd get +2 to both your skeletons and the mastery, so it could improve overall performance, and the 30% resist all ain't bad either.

I agree that the most useful build for bone would be some type of meleemancer, as then you could make use of the ctc Bone Spear on striking...

9. sticker

sticker IncGamers Member

It's a good runeword, but the cost outweighs its benefit imo

But if you have tons of UMs to burn, why not?

10. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

Oh I <3 bone runeword armor, but not for a necro.

Put it on a strafer, frenzy barb, werewolf, werebear, or melee paly.

My son had a themed frenzy barb last season like this:
    Bone
    Oath
    Death
    Delerium
    Ghoulhide
    Can't remember the rest, but it owned. Just imagine a fast running frenzy barb with bone armor that shoots bone spears and spirits and turns into a bone doll that has bone armor and shoots bone spears and spirits!

11. Lehetetlen

Lehetetlen IncGamers Member

I think with the improved rune drop rates it is second only to the Enigma for summoners(fishy) +2 necro skills, +30 to all resistances(in hell you will be glad for this), bonus mana, ctc bone armor. Sure the ctc bone spear isn't that usefull, but nothing can be perfect.