Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Advanced Help

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Excalibur, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Excalibur

Excalibur IncGamers Member

Hey guys,

I am quite new to D3. I opened a topic few weeks ago asking for help which helped me a lot in getting started with adventure mode after finishing campaign. I have a Barbarian, Level 70 (paragon 180) and I am still a newbie. I need further suggestions as I struggle a lot. :(

1. Let me start with my follower.
    He is a Templar and he was doing fine till Torment 4-5 but in six he gets totally owned. To tell you the truth I equipped him with random legendary stuff I found but he doesn't give me many options. Jewelry, shield and on-hand weapon. What should I do with him? I tried an enchantress but she was very vulnerable and was ding all the time.

2. Stash and Items.
    So... I am gathering every legendary and set item I find and I am currently nearly full. What do I do?! Do you keep them all? Do you salvage the ones you have more than 1 time? I have 6 tabs currently, I guees you can't get more?

3. Legendary Gems
    Each time I was beating a greater rift a legendary gem was dropping until they stopped. Do I have all the legendary gems now? Also, I keep updating them with Ursi but it seems like it never stops. I thought it would be maxed at level 25. Can you please tell me how to proper use them?

4. My main hero
    And here comes the real problem. As I was doing rifts and progressing few steps each time I decided to follow a frenzy build. However, Rifts on Torment 4 started to become very challenging and my whole build was changed (and still in a mess) after finding some IK stuff. Long story short after acquiring my sixth IK item I managed to do rifts even in Torment 8 thanks to the huge damage boost but my character is extremely vulnerable when not using Wrath of the Berseker. I am definitely not ready for Torment 8 but I am not quite sure how to procceed from now on. Please help!...

2. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer IncGamers Member

Followers: You want to find the legendary relic that makes the Templar take no damage. There's no other way to get a follower's survivability high enough to survive high torment levels. The easiest way to get it is by upgrading rares in the cube since there are only three legendary tokens for each follower (you can craft the rares at the blacksmith).

Follower damage will always be insignificant compared to your own so try to focus on giving them items that offer crowd control. For example the Freeze of Deflection. The other key item to look out for is the Oculus Ring, which works for your character even when your follower is wearing it. Cooldown reduction is the key stat on follower items, so they cast their skills more often.

Another important point for solo is the double Unity trick. Unity is a ring that causes damage taken by anyone wearing it to be split between everyone wearing it. If you and your follower both have one, and the follower has a cannot die token, then you effectively take half damage at all times. This isn't as ubiquitous an option as it used to be as more good defensive items have been added, but it's still useful sometimes.

Stash: Six tabs is the maximum you can get without playing seasons. You can get one extra tab per season (up to four for a total of ten tabs) by completing up to a certain point in the season journey.

You shouldn;t be keeping every legendary item - you'll need the Forgotten Souls from salvaging if nothing else. If it doesn't have a legendary power, does it have any unusual affixes for that item type e.g. cooldown reduction on the Vigilante Belt? If it has a power, have you cubed it? Is the item ancient? You probably want to focus on keeping sets, ancient legendaries and ones with build defining powers. Jewellery, belts and bracers don't tend to be a part of sets so you'll want to keep some of the more useful ones of those. Otherwise cube or salvage them.

Legendary gems: You get one of each gem until you have them all. the one exception is Boon of the Hoarder which you must obtain from the Vault boss before it can drop in Grifts. You can get more than one of the same legendary gem if you don't have that gem on your current character or in your stash (so if you equip a second character with gems they'll drop again on your first character).

Most legendary gems level effectively indefinitely, though a few cap at 50, 75 or 100. I think the new patch made it so that capped gems show their max level in the tooltip now.

As for your hero, one of the side effects of how powerful some set and item powers are is that you'll find your damage and survivability getting badly out of sync with one another as you acquire a bonus to one or the other. You can switch to more defensive passive skills, legendary gems and/or put diamonds in armour instead of your mainstat gem if you haven't already. Otherwise there's not much you can do except play at the level you feel most comfortable with and hope to find a good defensive item.

3. Excalibur

Hello mate,

Thanks a lot for the time you spent to help me out. I already started applying some of those things.

• I crafted 5 Templar Relics and I managed to get 2 of those "can not die" relics.
    • I equipped my Templar with Freeze of Deflection
    • I equipped my Templar with Oculus Ring (what should I socket it with?)
    • I have one Unity ring. I will keep in mind what you said in case I find a second one. Currently I equipped him with a ring that "occasionally haunts nearby enemies" (Band of Hollow Whispers). I think it's slowly reducing enemies hit points right? Is it a good choice?

As for my item collection, please help more on how to handle them. I don't even know how to properly use the cube. My first cubed item was the templar Relic I tried today after your post. So basically I should salvage every legendary item that doesn't have a legendary power or any unusual affixes?

Is it really worth to use legendary gems at low level? Most of them grant some weird bonuses and at a very low ratio.

I am using mostly diamonds on my sockets and I have maxed the resit all paragon skill. One last question. I have 6 out of 7 IK items and I am only missing the Chest. Is there any way to get it other than farming? I managed to get the boots by gambling with Kandala and I would like to get the chest somehow so that I can switch the Weapon since it only needs 6 items in order to get the latest bonus.

Thanks again.

4. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

Legendary gems are among the most powerful items in the game and provide a massive boost even at low levels. I haven't played a Barb since season 5 and barely played in season 6 at all, so maybe there've been some changes to gems but in early leveling and the like for a barb I used: Bane of the Trapped, Esoteric Alteration and Pain Enhancer (to be fair, I used Taeguk but I know that's been changed), switching Esoteric Alteration out for Bane of the Stricken when I got my gear in line and moved on to higher Greater Rifts. Remember that with Bane of the Trapped once you get it to level 25 it procs its own buff but before that you need some crowd-control active (such as a Templar ability or slow or what have you) to get that extra damage.

Armor pieces should be gambled through Kadala because their blood shard cost is so low. Using the cube to upgrade rares should only be used for things you can't gamble (follower tokens) and things which are expensive to gamble (weapons, jewelry) because cube materials are so much more rare than blood shards.

Pretty much, yes. There definitely can be times where, for example, an ancient weapon with no power or anything is better than your other options, but that's generally just at the start and doesn't usually last long. Also remember to only break down legendary items that have a power that would be relevant to you in the cube - that is to say don't just break down everything - because bounty materials take time to farm and have other uses besides.

As for your mercenary: while it's true that a fully optimized templar would have a Freeze of Deflection with +%chance to block on the token and shield, specific items which stacked cooldown reduction and attack speed and 150% Critical Hit Damage (the max on a follower) none of that is worth your materials right now, or at any point until you have your character geared up. It can be argued that the indestructible token is worth getting early, but definitely no further improvements of the follower will be meaningful enough to take materials away from gearing up your character as even with just the "never-die" token and random rare items he's ~95% as useful as he'll ever be.

5. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer IncGamers Member

A ruby is the only real choice - legendary gems don't work on followers and with the can't die relic you have no need of all res or vit. That said, the ideal follower jewelry doesn't have a socket at all. Cooldown reduction, crit chance/damage, attack speed and main stat are all more useful there. Though as maareek said it's not worth worrying about your follower in that level of detail yet.

That's certainly not an endgame item. Focus/Restraint or Endless Walk sets are used for almost all builds around 6 piece sets, with Convention of Elements, Unity, Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac or some class specific rings (Band of Might is good for Barbs) being used based on build. Ring of Royal Grandeur (Act 1 bounties only) is necessary for some builds as it reduces the required number of set items by 1. Avarice Band (Act 3 bounties only) is also a common choice for speed farming builds.

Pretty much what maareek said. But have you extracted any legendary powers yet?

Yes. Esoteric Alteration and Molten Wildebeest Gizzard will help your survivability a lot.

6. Excalibur

Alright guys, thanks for all the help.
    I pretty much start to understand everything you say.

I haven't extracted any legendary powers yet. Just checked and I am not quite sure what to extract. I guess I will keep leveling and farming till I decide what build to aim for. Thanks a lot once again.