Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ads by Google Displaying D2 Pay-sites

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Yerba, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

Ads by Google Displaying D2 Pay-sites

I usually don't pay much attention to the ads. I, once in a while, click on an ad and possibly follow it a few pages to make sure I'm doing my part in supporting these forums that I frequent.

I was basically shocked then to see that either intentionally or not "Ads by Goooooogle," who supplies ad-bars to the forums based off of automated Google index searches is relaying these forums links to pay-sites that sell D2 items through Paypal.

I recognized VR Items fairly quickly; I'm sure you're all aware of them through just about every Baal Run game on B.Net (their chat bots join games and spam annoyingly colorful text commercials about how they've recently updated their "inventory" yet the same message has been in place since 2004...)

Now I'm not 100% positive what the stance of these forums is, but if I can use the trade forums as an example these pay-sites are strictly taboo and direct links to their sites is a fairly serious offense; punishable by banning.

Why then do we allow these links to persist right at the top of the page? Potentially they make money off of these forums and its members.

I am vaguely aware of the concept that the banner ads differ from location to location and some service uses IP mapping or DNS to sort of 'prescribe' a set of ads for every member. Does everyone see these ads or only a certain group?

I don't think the solution would be to stop using "Ads by Goooooogle." Some of the links contain good content and are contextually sound. Yet, if we could offer some sort of list to Google to keep certain links from appearing in the random pool the banners use I think it would be better for the forums. Or at least allow the forum rules to stay consistent with the ads.

2. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

dredd and gorny both know about them...i am sure they have notified the admins.

3. Zalcitabine

Zalcitabine IncGamers Member

Can we normal forumers notify Elly about it?

Do we just have to tell her or do she also needs a screenshot and/or my location to do something for it?

4. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

Really? Because I was fairly appalled when I saw the first one; I did a series for forums seaches to see if this had been brought up and couldn't find anything about them.

I hope it gets taken care of quickly. Not so much because I care about the pay-sites operating but because the thought of them making money off of these forums is hideous.

5. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Of course you can. Sending a screenshot is a good idea. Yes location; yes, link also if possible, although in this case the source is pretty obvious.

Google gives us a lot of headaches. It doesn't take our site policy into account when it generates its links.

6. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

it's kinda sad that i just had one with four diablo item/download sites at once...oh well when elly get's back from her RL duties i am sure she will clean them up....she always has in the past.

7. templecrasher

templecrasher IncGamers Member

I sent her a PM with a screenshot the other day. I was getting ads for VR and some other one all day. I have yet to see all 4 like Dave, but I took a SS with 2 in it. I recall seeing a post before about sending a link to Elly so she could take care of it.

8. chrislindsay

chrislindsay IncGamers Member

I was kind of wondering about that--I was on yesterday and saw three paysites being advertised. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do to keep the forum running!

9. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Let's see now, if you click on such a add
    This forum gets money
    The target site pays money.

if you are of strong resolve and can resist the urge to paypal such items and download 3rd party software, why not click on those adds more ? Costs them more money and this forum gets more money.
    Or are these 'get money when people buy' kinda adds ?

10. Hemaka

Hemaka IncGamers Member

..I hate money.

11. gibsonSG

gibsonSG IncGamers Member

Get a program called "Spysweeper" if you're truly annoyed by it. I haven't seen a pop-up or ad of any sort since I got it two years ago.

12. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

13. k/t

k/t Banned

Ihsan's Shade!!!