Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Adopting a Lactose-free Diet

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Hammy, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Hammy

Hammy IncGamers Member

Adopting a Lactose-free Diet

I’ve had a bit of an epiphany today with regards to black, white, and grey areas.

My stashes are cluttered with 3 years worth of stuff, some of which has been obtained through assorted methods, such as HF rushing and time-traveling. While this is exceptionally difficult, I am backing up and archiving all of my current wealth and characters and beginning anew, with a slightly purer outlook.

I don’t believe I have broken any forum rules in the past, but I am not getting the “warm fuzzy” feeling about my present state, and it’s affecting my motivation to play. I don’t think obsessing over shaving a second off of my Pindle times is necessarily healthy, and I see myself quitting due to burnout in the near future if I continue this course. Very rarely does anything dropping excite me anymore, which I am attributing to the fact that I have taken advantage of too many workarounds that are simply not necessary to be effective and enjoy the game as it was meant to be played in its current state.

As a result of this, I will be dropping out of the MFO (which is unfortunate, as I was really looking forward to it) since I won’t be able to procure the items base needed to be competitive in time.

I realize none of this is especially newsworthy, but I’m posting it in an effort to keep myself from succumbing to temptation and rescinding on my promise. I don’t quite have the heart to delete my backups yet, but once I’ve run NM Meph enough to get a few things, I suspect I will.

The loss of my eBotD hurts the most, so that will be my long-term goal, to make another (in a 1.13 base this time).

The greatest and most inspiring thing about this community is how its members are able to police themselves and hold to such high ethical standards. Thank you all for being fantastic.

Regards,

Hammy

Disclaimer: I am not criticizing or raising an eyebrow at anyone's methods or the SPF rules, this is just a choice I am making. This post is for the purposes of self-validation, not sounding holier than thou, so please don't take it as such.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  2. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

Re: Adopting a Lactose-free Diet

Would be a shame to see such a nice botd get deleted, but if this is what makes sense to you, then it's definitely the right call. Good luck with the restart, hope to see you in future MFO's or similar :)

3. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

Uh, if you were looking forward so much to the MFO why not wait with your restart until after? It's not like the MFO is months away.

And why delete the stashes? I still have my back-up from upgrading from 1.12 to 1.13, even though i have no desire to go back. If i look any further i might even have some 1.11 back-up.

Anyways, i know what you mean. When i restarted (when 1.11 came out) every little find felt great. Even things you later don't bother picking up anymore. GL on your restart :wave:.

4. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

I did something like that. Went from SC to HC, and am now self found(well not really, as I've MPed (once so far :D)).

Doing a 17 minute pit run feels great for some reason :)

5. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Best of luck with the restart, and I hope you regain your interest in Diablo II. :)

Since Zylo seems busy, I'll ask on his behalf: are you still interested in his MP group? He's hoping to kick it up this weekend.

Oh, and don't mind me saying this, but I feel that there's no need to delete the 'Breath of the Dying', I'm sure many forumers would be happy to take it off your hands, unless you really see fit in it being deleted.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  6. Hammy

Hammy IncGamers Member

@Cyrax - Because I don't feel like doing 10k Pindle runs and then not using any of the results... I had debated taking the items from the MFO and using them as a basis for my restart, but then I would be using items obtained through the use of a 1.07 War Pike stuffed with runes gained through running Trav with a Death made of HF-rushed runes, etc. So at that point the odor of the cheese is still lingering. I need to completely clean out the fridge, metaphorically speaking.

@omg - Assuming I can obtain a moderate twink base by this weekend, I will absolutely be rolling with the MP project. I had considered giving away my eBotD, along with a few other things (Grief, Fort, some HR's, etc.), but I assumed the majority of people like to work for their finds, and I haven't thought of a good way to get rid of them - Any ideas? At any rate, I won't delete my stashes yet. And good call on the wording, I'll fix that.

7. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

I stay "pure to the patch" too... There's good reasons for most of the changes made. I feel that going to a previous patch to get items that currently can't be found is cheezy, so call me lactose intollerant.

I've restarted about 5 times though... it makes you feel better. I'm all for almost anual resets. In fact, if I were designing this game, I would have put a date/time stamp on each item so we could know when the item was found.

8. Chairnick

Chairnick IncGamers Member

Why? I haven't played diablo for about 10 months and I'll probably put it on the ice again after MFO. It's about the race.:thumbup:

9. xxnothing

xxnothing IncGamers Member

Big decision! If that's what you truly feel, kudos to you for following through with it.
    I'll echo the sentiment that it'd be a shame to see that beautiful eBotD go off into the digital ether though!

10. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

First off, good luck with the restart! It's a shame we won't have the clash of the barbarians in the MFO, though.

Just keep it stashed, maybe? I've restarted at least a half dozen times now, and there's almost always one or two items I wish I hadn't given away. If not, something like a lottery/tournament/etc.? Make them work for it. :p

11. ReadyTorches

ReadyTorches IncGamers Member

Would totally let you use my botd if you ever wanted to and hey if your gonna start a new character I'll start one with you. Except mine will be worthless until 60 lol.

12. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

I totally know what you mean - My untwinked character can be the most fun at times simply because everything she uses is self-found and thus that much more rewarding. Haven't been so happy to find a white monarch or 98 def shako before =P

As for deleting old stashes, don't do it, just save them somewhere like a backup cd - at least then you can look back at what you had before, or eventually combine your old and new findings.

13. CorruptedMollusk

CorruptedMollusk IncGamers Member

I recently restarted, not so much from a lactose intolerance, but I'd become bored with the items I had. I gave away all my items(well technically Nagisa did), deleted all my stashes, and haven't looked back.

I could only use so many Might mercs with a Reapers before I became bored with it. I'm really enjoying playing untwinked on my restart. My initial character failed utterly due to lack of equipment, so I've started a new character who is a blast to play. For me its always been the journey I've enjoyed more than the loot I've accumulated.

There is only one item that I miss, and its far more from a style perspective, as it wasn't the most useful item ever, and a bit single use. I'm sure I'll gather up a large chunk of wealth again, and hopefully find parts to make another one.

I'm sure I'll end up with another Trav barb, and probably another MF sorc, but they'll be different, and fun to play, but for now, its all about oooh, look, a Lum rune!!!

Good luck with the restart.

CM

14. GibItam

GibItam IncGamers Member

Welcome to a new world :thumbup:

I too have restarted a couple of times in the past. I am now playing HC 1.13. I am very proud of making my own CTA (horked a Vex from council and ran countess for the remainder of time until I could cube up a CTA that my blizzballer nw uses so I do bossruns (Andy, Meph, Diablo and Baal at P3)). Other than that I have a barb that uses the combination stormshield/ grandfather, a full trang oul poison mancer with skelletons, a pure javazone that I use for running cows and still want to make a wind druid, a kicker and a not yet defined paladin.

Best thing for me is that I enjoy playing every character. I would hate to get the feeling that playing this fantastic game feels like work.

If you want to start up a HC character and want to take some donations just sent me a PM and I see what I can hook you up with.

I wish you a lot of pleasure with the restart,

15. Hammy

Hammy IncGamers Member

Thanks for the support!

It's coming along quite well. I started up a Frost Zealot (I know I'm usually a Barb advocate, but you don't cover a Mercedes in duct tape).

It got pretty sketchy for a bit, and I actually died to an EF Goat boss pack in The Barracks, prompting me to turn it down to P5 from 16-18 when I got HF and life became good again. And this is why I don't play HC... I must say I was struck with a bit of a bleak outlook for a while there. It's a rather odd feeling having no aces up your sleeve after all this time.

Best find so far has been an Umbral Disk (actually useful, who knew?) in Dry Hills. I made myself a Steel runeword in a Flail, which was a huge turning point. I also found a Tal in Tal Rasha's Tomb, which beyond being somewhat ironic, went into a Stealth Breastplate.

Before I went to bed last night, I set foot onto the Kurast Docks, and it feels like I'm knockin' on Mephy's door. OoooOooh, knock knock knockin' on Mephy's doooOor.

Ahem. Sorry.

Anyway, this is the most fun I've had in quite some time. It was definitely starting to feel stale.

Cheers!

Hammy

16. ReadyTorches

ReadyTorches IncGamers Member

I would try to get a malice as well, since you can't beat most things to death; you can always make em bleed.

17. Vodnik

Vodnik Banned

I love restarts. Starting that new character feels like... stepping into a shower. I applaud your restart, and I hope you have good fortune!(Though, not too much. No need to get spoiled by luck too soon.)

18. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Good luck for your restart! Seems like a hard decision to make, with all the stuff you leave behind...

I have considered a restart, too, since I only seldom can motivate myself to play D2. But I guess it would only end like last time: MF till I find each and every EU at least for the 10th time and never use them... :rolleyes:

19. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

I actually recently restarted (again.) I restarted when I came back to D2 a few months ago, but the first thing I did was make a Blizz sorc and start beating up Meph. When I found myself having the thought "if I can just get meph to drop a couple more items I want, then I can start playing the game" I knew it was time to stop and evaluate.

So, all of that stuff has been put away for the moment (it will probably eventually go into my MP-with-friends stashes) and I'm working on some semi-untwinked projects. (Bascially, I'm taking 3 characters through the game, sharing items between them.)

I've also set up a couple new rules for myself:

(1) Every character will single pass full clear, and only once they are matted/patted are they free to do MF runs. Characters have just always felt more special to me when they've cleared everything, and it's a lot more fun to MF on characters that have that special feeling.

(2) The same players setting will be used from normal Blood Moor to Hell Baal. Using /p8 early on to get a level advantage, then dropping the setting /p1 when things started getting hard in Hell was starting too feel too cheesy. (Again though, once they are matted/patted, they can use whatever setting is appropriate for any runs they do.)

I know it seems very weird, but it's what works for me.

I think the key thing is that if it starts to feel like work, you're doing it wrong. It's time to evaluate your playstyle and make any necessary adjustments. It can be very hard to leave nice stuff behind, but I think you'll find that it's worth it. So, good luck with your restart. :)

20. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

That's actually a pretty "fair" policy. :)

I would use it, but I'm a Honda factory.