Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Addons?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by smartdot, Jul 8, 2008.

1. smartdot

smartdot IncGamers Member

Addons?

I was just wondering whether people would like to see addons for D3, similar to the way WoW does. If yes, state what types or featuresyou would like to see. If no, give a reason.

2. Matora

Matora IncGamers Member

Re: Addons?

Addons as in user interface changes or an example such as the Tyreal pet avalable with the introduction of the next patch?

3. Putz

Putz IncGamers Member

Addons as in stuff to make the game easier to play.

I doubt d3 will require such. Though I do hope they make it so there is more community driven support - aka an sdk for the game, so that possible mods or addons can be created...

4. Elly

Elly Administrator

Well, two slightly different answers, both from Jay Wilson, Lead Designer. First one is an admirable body swerve the other one is more definite. The news isn't hopeful however.

Q: Do you plan on creating a map editor?
    A: No specifics about mod development. But the Diablo series is not real friendly to mod development due to the random nature of the game. It's fairly difficult to learn the program well enough for users to add content on their own. We haven't decided for sure on that this time, though. - Jay Wilson, Lead Designer

Source - Design Fundamentals Panel

Q: Diablo is not a mod-friendly game. What about UI mods, will you allow it?
    A: We're specifically not going to allow player mods in D3. they're necessary in WoW, but we think such things can make a simple to control game very complicated, so we're not going to let them into D3. - Jay Wilson, Lead Designer

Source - Game Design Panel

5. Sein Schatten

Sein Schatten IncGamers Member

Well, the difficulty thing seems more like a excuse but who knows. There might not be a lot of players who can use the tools but there will be some for sure. And I am sure the mods they will make will be good. Who knows... Thogh I doubt they release there development kit or any part of it. I might add that releasing it won't mean a loss in sells for any exp pack.