Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Addition to the Bear's PK'ing Encyclopedia

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by NightShade, Mar 20, 2004.

1. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

Addition to the Bear's PK'ing Encyclopedia

BtK-NightShade’s PK Information

Table of Contents

1. Pk’ing.
    a. Ettiquette
    b. Acts
    i. 1
    ii. 2
    iii. 3
    iv. 4
    v. 5
    c. Builds
    i. Barb
    ii. Amazon
    iii. Paladin
    iv. Sorc
    v. Necromancer
    vi. Druid
    vii. Assassin
    d. PKK’s

2. Dueling
    a. Etiquette
    b. Wepon Mods
    c. Builds
    i. Barb
    ii. Amazon
    iii. Paladin
    iv. Sorc
    v. Necromancer
    vi. Druid
    vii. Assassin
    d. The level brackets

3. Acknowledgements and additions

Section One : Pk’ing

Introduction :

Pk’ing is fairly self explanatory. It is killing another player. Simple. The problem with Pk’ing now is the fact that you are going to get very few ears in a legit manner. I won’t get into the “morals†of all of this, because frankly I don’t care and I’ve fought too much over this.

Section : A - Etiquette

While this seems contradictory to what most people feel Pk’ing is, it’s not. There are some “honorable†things that should be done to make the experience less hollow.

Picking on people : There are some Brackets in levels and gear that simply shouldn’t be extended out side of. If you’re 24 and in act 2 games, you’re pathetic.

Act 1 : Unless you have a very tastey target here, stay out. Anything in act one leveling games will fall as if nothing.

Act 2 : 9-16. Carnage jewels make short work of ANYTHING here. There’s no reason what so ever to bring them out here.

Act 3 : 9-18 – Lots of lower levels scampering around here too. Mainly in the 20-24 region so there is no call for sharps/snaps.

Act 4 : 9-24 They’re getting to the 27 point and as such I feel anything here is free game.

Act 5 9-38 : Big leap because there are lvl 50 + people here and they can really sting. If you’re taking a level 9 there I give you cudos.

The use of any sort of “Way point Hoppingâ€:

Yeah, I know it’s hard to get an ear but atleast try to hunt them down. Blizzard did Pk’ing a great disservice by adding that timer but it lulls some into a false sense of security and makes them far easier targets. On the other hand it shafts you so that their chicken hack and what not kicks in instantly

ANY SORT OF HACKS ARE FOR COWARDS. No more needs to be said.
    Section 1 b : Acts

Act One :

The Catacombs : Hopefully this is where you’re hunting.

The Catacombs are a hard place to track people through. You’ll probably want to catch them while they are still on mini map range so you can get an idea of their direction. When hunting something that I know will be a LONG walk, I always bring a stamina pot, it makes it less of a loss if I ran the wrong way.

For the most part you’re looking for the bodies of monsters, live monsters (an indicator you went the wrong way) and of course open doors. The catacombs generally seem to flow counter clockwise as to their entrances ( which everyone is looking for, so that’s a valid place to hide)

When you have found the stairs and are fairly sure that you’re the 1st one there, go down a level and wait patiently. They will come down eventually and you’ll be able to smoke who ever it is right off the bat. While not a great trick, it allows you to kill them rather efficiently. If you’re in NM and using a Sorc, this place is heaven. You can easily track them down and eliminate them with spamming teleport and avoiding boss packs, as well as giving absolutely no indication of the fact that you are coming until it’s too late.

There are how ever, some things to avoid. The main one is you don’t want to get swarmed when attacking. If you’re level 9 (and I hope you are) your blocking may not be fast enough to let you attack when being fired upon by5 carvers as well as your targets. Such instances are more of a nuisance than a threat, but you can be seriously injured if you have low life and waste pots and what not.

Act Two :

The Sewers: Where 10 seconds means nothing.

If you’re planning to take on people in the sewers there are really only a few things you should know :

1: You can hostile and click the entrances and you’ll go right thru.
    2: The second entrance is generally close to the level 2 stairs use it to cut down on travel time.
    3: Randament’s poison can hurt. Yeah, it sounds stupid but if you don’t have deaths gloves on you could very well be hurt by it if you engage near there.
    4: DO NOT GET SURROUNDED – It slows you horridly.
    The Arcane Sanctuary : Line ‘em up.

This is a great place to hunt if you’re a sorc. If you how ever are not a sorc, don’t bother unless it’s a fairly new run or you can take a gander at where they are via the party screen. Bring a stamina pot always. No reason not to.

There are some characters that really get screwed here. ANYONE that is melee with out a catching skill ( WW, Charge, DF) is pretty much in for a hard hunt. If it wasn’t for the fact that most Zons now are pathetically non damaging I’d consider them great here. Out side of seeing them via party screen, or jumping the wp, it’s a good bet to assume that they all stuck together. Look for bodies initially to tell you where to go.

Generally anything you meet here won’t be a problem, but you can become severely blocked by goats. Killing them gains xp, which is bad. The other thing to watch out for is the summoner stealing your kills. A lot of PKK’s hang around, and mixed with their meat shields (other people) they can actually land a suprising amount of damage before you notice they are even there.

Act 3 : The land the Pk gods forgot.

Travancal : The ONLY place that’s worth the time

Trav is a pretty big place, but we all know exactly where your prey is heading. Right down the council’s throat. If you’re lucky they’ll be so involved fighting they won’t bother with you hostiling. I suggest a lvl 18 here, to make sure they don’t get too freaked out when you hostile. There isn’t much to be said about it really, I suggest that if you stumble into a game that already has a lot of people in it that you run out of town to the spider forest first, it gives them the impression that you’re no where near them.

The only real problem I’ve ever had in Travincal is the fact that if a kick asn decides to be cute and charge off of a monster she can hurt. That or monsters walking directly into my line of attack, intercepting a charge or a throwing spear or some such. Blizzard can steal your kills some times, but that’s fairly rare outside of a very specialized couple of poison builds

Hunting in the Durance, in my opinion, is a waste of time. There’s a lot of ground to cover. If you feel you must, standard mf rules apply. There’s always a set pattern of where the Durance lvl 3 will spawn. If you find it before they do, you can lay in wait. If you’re feeling REALLY evil, corral all the monsters right to the steps and tp out. Go back down the WP and try to actively locate the group of people and heard them towards the stairs. They’ll run past the monsters and probably not pot. They hit the stairs and BAM. They’re sandwiched between the monsters and you. Takes a lot of doing but is well worth it.

Another area of note is right outside the gate which lets you hostile on the run and get out there. Typical “gotcha†tactic.

Act 4: Got Milk?

The basic lay out of act 4 operates on one simple premise : IT’S HUGE. Running the whole thing , blindly groping for targets, takes a while. I like to wait for them to hit a bottleneck and then move in. This honestly the most fun act to hunt in because it’s flat terrain (melee chars can catch) and the monsters are sufficiently tough to make people occasionally pause, long enough to gain those precious few seconds.

If you’re in act 4, there are two main hunting galleries most of the time. You’re going to want to go to the Chaos Sanctuary (the MOST fun I’ve ever had pking) and the Outer Steppes.

The Chaos Sanc. Is probably where your targets are going to be going. They are about 25-30 depending, and as such modify the build accordingly. 24 is ok to hunt here, but I’d suggest something much lower, probably a 21 or 18. People will be very impatient and that is the key. They’ll want Diablo so much so that they’ll ignore you to leech D and head to the vast exp fields of act 5. You can eat them alive if they do, because of the random curses being flung around (Your eyes light up when you see that 50 sorc that’s doing their killing get amp on her head) and the fact that they would rather just cower in a corner than TP out or exit the game. Over all a fun place to hunt, not much strategy in it how ever. This is very straight forward. You run up the river, like you have a million times before, then into the Sanc, then avoid getting surrounded by monsters.

The Outer Steppes are much like the blood moor in act 1. You can just rush out there right away and perhaps get someone who’s napping on the job, as well as chasing the little buggers around. The characters here are about 20-30 ish range, it varies…I still suggest an 18. There’s not a lot of strat here either…Just stick to the sides to get a feel for where the mapping is. A lot of it is quick response time, trying to rush them into a choice.

Act 5 : Is yet to come. Same with the actual PvP stuff.

2. kardinaal

kardinaal IncGamers Member

About not PKing in act 1... There is a really good situation for PKing in act 1. Namely cow run games. I've killed many a soul when they were going for the leg, feeling pretty safe because they're in a cow run :rolleyes:. It's also a nice run, because you need to get them between the wp and the entrance to tristram.

3. BreakThruX

BreakThruX IncGamers Member

GoGo level 12-16 throw baba. :)

4. Baranor

Baranor IncGamers Member

we shall build a guide for the strat compendium this way.

5. SonOfRah

SonOfRah IncGamers Member

you forgot duriels chamber, on of the most exciting areas to pk in imo. so many people just waiting to die in such close quarters :) Its a pkers haven if you can make it.

And remember.....they have to either save and exit, or go to town using one of their own tp's. Tyriel's tp won't work if they are hostiled to you also.