Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Addicted to a2 prayer merc

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by mjkittredge, Nov 20, 2014.

1. mjkittredge

mjkittredge Diabloii.Net Member

Every game I play, every character, prayer merc seems to be the best choice. But am I missing out?

Other 2 choices I'm considering - might aura and holy freeze. People who use them, do you find you miss all the extra healing, or that their increased offense more than makes up for it? Farming nightmare cows with my hammerdin now, hoping to get a good unique or socketed bow. I know might aura would be a waste for him, but holy freeze slowing everything on the screen ... thinking that might be a huge improvement. Thoughts?

not sure if there's a chart for how much the prayer aura heals

2. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I've never used a Prayer merc. My hammerdin uses a Holy Freeze merc, so monsters would move more slowly through my hammer field and get hit quicker. When necessary to heal, I'll switch my Concentration aura over to Redemption for a couple seconds between monster packs to quickly regenerate both health and mana from the dead bodies laying around. I also used Holy Freeze with my Blizzsorc, but that was more for thematic reasons.

Generally speaking, I use a Might merc - with life leach, the added damage helps keep them alive. My only real exception to this is with my strafer, who uses a rogue merc with a Faith bow for the Fanaticism aura. Doesn't mean it's the only or right way to go, but it's worked pretty well for me.

3. UntwinkedPatriarch

UntwinkedPatriarch Diabloii.Net Member

Here's a link to the mercenary skill levels: http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Mercenaries#Diablo_II_Expansion
    (I believe mercenary skills are mechanically identical to their character counterparts.)

I think it mostly has to do with style. I mainly play self-found Hardcore so my strategy is basically "Defense wins championships." This means I mostly use the Holy Freeze merc. Decreasing enemies' speed by 33% is (more or less with some exceptions) mathematically equivalent to increasing your own by 67%.

The only exception is if I'm going for skelemancer, whose defense is already disgustingly suffocating with all those meat shields. So in that case, I'd go with Might. A might mercenary can also kill very well on his own with a half decent weapon, so he's a suitable choice for more offensively inclined Diablo players.

The only time I'd ever consider taking Normal mercenaries into Hell, is when I don't have enough resistance gear for their survival (the lower level mercenaries have better base stats and resistances), but even then, the only "difference maker" aura IMO would be Defiance. You can replace Prayer's healing by drinking potions, but you can't do the same for Defiance.

But again, most of my decisions are based on solo/HC/self-found/no 3rd party software/non ladder play so I might not be optimal for others.

4. Twibz

Twibz Diabloii.Net Member

I am also a big fan of prayer mercs who use insight for the mana and life regen. If they dont use insight then i go for Might for my physical damage characters and holy freeze for all others.