Addendum to the 1.07 guide

Grisu

Diabloii.Net Member
Found this in a .txt file from 2005:
Wow! Thanks a lot RTB! *worship*

So we can omit the thought of a 1.07 scourge beating a 1.07 serker then?
I think so - the average damage is still 5.5 lower than a serker's. Ultimately it depends on what BPs you want or can reach, as always ;-) Besides - Scourges look awful...

ApisCanis

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Addendum to the 1.07 guide

It is also very unlikely that you’ll get a useful unique (sets are a much better proposition) as the chances of getting a unique is 1:1000 (sets are 1:125 and rares are 1:200). Even then the relative rarities of nagel, manald and SoJ is 80, 40 and 1 respectively. So don’t hold your breath.
[/CODE]
The ring recipe can be used with ANY quality gem, and only requires ONE gem versus 6 for the amulet recipe. I'm just curious at what point it is more beneficial to upgrade for the 6 perfect gems? For example, do you only want to cube up flawless gems for the ammy recipe?

It takes on average 121,000 attempts (and gems) to cube a SoJ. (80+40+1) x 1000

Does anyone know what the relative rarities are for set amulets? I'm assuming that Tal's is the 7th set amulet to become available, along with: Angelic, Arcanna's, Cathan's, Civerb's, Iratha's, and Tancred's.

You need 750 perfect gems on average to cube a set amulet. (6 x 125)

So, multiply the relative rarity of Tal's by 750 and that should give us the average number of PERFECT gems needed to cube Tal's. My guess is that this number will be in the same neighborhood as the 121,000 for SoJ. But, you can use ANY quality gem for the ring recipes, right?

Can anybody else shed some more light on this?

I haven't upgraded ANY of my lower quality gems because I suspect it is not worth it. (since I value the SoJ's nearly as much as I would the Tal's)

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

Any q gems for the rings. I'd prefer cubing sapphires with a low lvl character for the greater chance of a triumphant ring of the apprentice (POTENTIAL 37manaperkill/10fcr ring).

Last edited:

yiuman

Diabloii.Net Member

Personally, I cube flawless gems into perfects for the ammy recipe. The rest are used for the ring recipies. This may not be the best mathematical use of gems, but its what I do. The most useful items I've got so far have been angelics.

ApisCanis

Diabloii.Net Member

Yea Yiuman, I'm planning to do the same thing. (only upgrade flawless)

Using flawless already requires 18 gems to roll the ammy recipe ONCE. :cry: Multiplied by 1:125 for cubing a set = 2250 gems per set roll.. times Tal's relative rarity. I'm assuming it is on the order of SoJ's 1:121... OUCH!

HAS anyone ACTUALLY cubed a Tal's or SoJ? Please post screenies. :smiley:

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

I know someone cubed Sarachen's Chance (which is great in 1.07). A lousy roll, but still a sarachen's with extra res. Personally, I'm looking at the potential of rares. +2 skilltab 10fcr with some stats and that res....

yiuman

Diabloii.Net Member

I know someone cubed Sarachen's Chance (which is great in 1.07). A lousy roll, but still a sarachen's with extra res. Personally, I'm looking at the potential of rares. +2 skilltab 10fcr with some stats and that res....
Even plain magic rings/ammys can be pretty cool - the ability to have 60%+ to a single resist, or up 50%MF etc with added res is pretty handy and can fill what would otherwise be gaping equipment holes.

Arkardo

Diabloii.Net Member

Also, re-read the sections on MF, unless you hit certain breakpoints its just not worth it (the first one is 127% to get NM bosses to drop nearly all sets with a small chance for rare/unique).
Say, I got a question about this. I got 134% MF, but I don't get any set items from Nightmare Blood Raven or Andariel. Just blues and an occasional yellow. I guess this breakpoint is incorrect? Does anyone have any information about this?

galtwish

Diabloii.Net Member

Run 374% MF on Hell Council for your sets--target rich environment, LK runs just a waypoint away. You'll need good fire resist, so a merc w/Kelpie Snare is pretty strong. This is a great target for a FOrb sorceress, and can be run with very cheap gear (PTopaz armor + helm, resist charms, FR + MF boots & gloves, MF jewelry) or Angelic jewelry + armor. Another good set target is Pindle/Shenk/Edritch in A5 with good rack-running in Nithi's Temple.

NM was never very kind to me for set running. Andariel and Meph are easy but only drop up to TC39 or somesuch. You can probably get Sigon's, Angelic's, and Death's sets in Normal with 150ish MF just by questing. Tarnhelm + PTopaz Gothic Plate looks to be the most effecient way to do this. The rest of the sets would likely be better found off the Hell targets.

Arkardo

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the advice, but the problem is I'm still gathering up. I didn't even have a fourth ptopaz for my gothic plate, so I was kind of looking forward to finally be able to at least be able to get lower sets. Guess I'll try to level up from 63 first a little bit and see if I can find some interesting racks.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

Say, I got a question about this. I got 134% MF, but I don't get any set items from Nightmare Blood Raven or Andariel. Just blues and an occasional yellow. I guess this breakpoint is incorrect? Does anyone have any information about this?
Should say "act bosses". Andariel won't give many sets since she can drop so few base items. However, she shouldn't be able to drop blue rings or amulets, at least that should be very rare. Try her a few more times and check magic items for double dura.

galtwish

Diabloii.Net Member

MF in NM should really focus on survival gear. Most of the good stuff found in NM tends to come from champs/racks/luck in my experience (likely going for my 4th Mat/Pat in 9 months this weekend, have another character in NM as well). Getting through NM self-found is difficult but not impossible, especially for missle/caster characters. I wouldn't bother racking in NM unless you find a rack that can fill in a major gap (Guillame's Face, Skulder's Ire, etc), but ymmv.

Once you get to the mid-60's and have good resists/life/PDR/evasive abilities, move on to Hell and push forward to LK. Once you can beat the Council easily, you should have the found enough MF gear FR to deal with the Council (split them, let your merc kill if they have MF) to get some decent endgame rares and/or set items.

If you are struggling with LE/x bosses in Hell (as I have with most melee builds) or just not able to get past the 50% PDR, equip some CBF gear if you have it and run the ice tunnels at the end of A5 and WSK in NM--you should get good returns on experience vs. time, and you won't reach diminshing returns on EXP from the WSK until about L70. If you want to save your Anya reward don't got to Nithli's temple, but that place is a bank of easy EXP and you don't need resists.

As far as completing sets, I have found probably 5 Sigons, 3 Berzerker's, and 2 Hsauru's/Cathan's/Cleglaw's/Arctic's and 1 Iratha's/Civerb's/Cleglaw's/Hwanin's. Still haven't completed Angelic's/Death's/Tancreed's/Vidala's. Sets higher than that--forget about it unless you want to rack them, and that can take a good 30-60 minutes per piece once you've found a close rack. I don't worry about it, and the sets aren't critical to completing the game. If you are looking for early game twinking, get +4 STR GCs with secondary mods (stamina is great) and Rlvl6 +skills gear unless you just want to put full Sigon's on everybody until they hit L18 or so.

If you want to complete the sets for your grail, it seems to me that Hell Council is best for time vs. reward.

So the real question is, what is your plan for 1.07?

Arkardo

Diabloii.Net Member

Should say "act bosses". Andariel won't give many sets since she can drop so few base items. However, she shouldn't be able to drop blue rings or amulets, at least that should be very rare. Try her a few more times and check magic items for double dura.
Yes, you were absolutely right! I should've given it more tries, but I didn't realize the base items were so low. I've found a great Mephy map and I'm running him now. Thanks!

So the real question is, what is your plan for 1.07?
Thanks for all the advice; I can see you've put time in it. My Sorceress is now level 63, but I've already gotten the Hell WSK waypoint. I did most of Hell with negative resist until I shopped a 3os shield and made an Ancient's Pledge. Yeah, it was quite frustrating at times, but I found MFing quite unrewarding and leveling not very useful, because I had already maxed FO and SF.

I've mainly started up 1.07 to get some of the relatively easy to find great stuff: Laying of Hands (does this one need to be racked?), max damage/resist/ilevel 99 charms, unique rings/amulets, Holy Shield scepters, M'avina's True Sight, etc. I'll also try to craft some resist set jewelry. Lastly, I'd like to have a shot at racking an Arkaine's Valor and a Wizardspike as well. I will probably not be working on completing grails.

galtwish

Diabloii.Net Member

I've mainly started up 1.07 to get some of the relatively easy to find great stuff: Laying of Hands (does this one need to be racked?), max damage/resist/ilevel 99 charms, unique rings/amulets, Holy Shield scepters, M'avina's True Sight, etc. I'll also try to craft some resist set jewelry. Lastly, I'd like to have a shot at racking an Arkaine's Valor and a Wizardspike as well. I will probably not be working on completing grails.
Crafting gets good above L78, and results in some truly eye-popping hax (23% LL blood gloves, anyone?). Racking in LK sounds like your best bet for LoH and scepters. M'Vavina's True Sight can be dropped by A5 uniques (I got mine from Edritch). Unique jewelry is available from Hell Andy & Meph w/556% MF (I got Atma's Scarab from this before I got bored).

The best area to get charms and gems and to rack your other goods is LK. With max'd FO and SF, just run that until you get good racks and get your S/U/scepter items you're looking for. Don't cube your gems and then craft your jewelry once you've leveled up to 78. Note that you will level very slowly in LK at L63. Future skill points should go to Cold Mastery to increase your killing speed w/FOrb.

The other option is to beat the game and run cows & Nithli's temple with no MF for socketables, gems, charms, and jewels + racks in the temple.

The only danger is that you'll finding something awesome and want to start a new character--I popped a Goldstrike Arch out of a NM LK basket and went from "I'll just Mat this Sorc and Pat this Pally" to "I'm going to make a 1.07 Septeverate". Now I'm going to make at least an 8th Mat/Pat because playing a Shadow Tree Assassin was so fun.

Arkardo

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for your advice! Once I'm bored with Mephisto I'll level some first at the WSK or Bloddy Foothills. Then I'll try to get more topaz from LK. After that... well, not sure yet... so many options! :grin:

Arkardo

Diabloii.Net Member

I think I made a discovery regarding forcing different drops from racks: when you use Telekineses to trigger a stable rack when it is not completely on your screen (or just far away, needs further testing), it drops differently.

I don't know if this can be used effectively, since this would require some very precise running.

EDIT: the rack needs to be far away, in the corner of your screen.

EDIT2: I forgot to add that, yes, the different drop is stable as well.

Last edited:

Arkardo

Diabloii.Net Member

I found a stable Pavise rack; do you think it's worth running for a Kerke's Sanctuary? If so, for what kind of builds (any patch) would you use it?

Kerke's Sanctuary Pavise
Defense: 153-175 (varies)(Base Defense: 68-78)
Required Level: 44
Required Strength: 133
Chance to Block: Pal: 75%, Ama/Asn/Bar: 74%, Dru/Nec/Sor: 69%
Durability: 60
Paladin Smite Damage: 10 To 17
+125% Enhanced Defense
+25% Increased Chance of Blocking
+ (1 Per Character Level) 1-99 To Vitality (Based On Character Level)
Replenish Life +15
Damage Reduced By 15
Magic Damage Reduced By 15

Dolph

Diabloii.Net Member

Any q gems for the rings. The relative rarity for soj is the same, eg 1:31000 for the right clvl. I'd prefer cubing sapphires with a low lvl character for the greater chance of a triumphant ring of the apprentice (POTENTIAL 37manaperkill/10fcr ring).
Sorry for the major bump, but I would like to know the ideal crafting conditions for the ring mentioned here, as it would be perfect for my new 1.07 sorc. Even half m/k and no fcr would be great :)

Naab

Diabloii.Net Member

Lvl 8 char is best for MPK rings(you can't roll uniques though im pretty sure,unless nagel or cathans or **** like that)