Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Added smite damage

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by DamienDCLXVI, Jul 3, 2010.

1. DamienDCLXVI

DamienDCLXVI IncGamers Member

Added smite damage

Can I get a quick explanation of how damage is added to smite with items? Specifically will a Jewel with X% Enhanced Damage or +Max Damage add to smite? How about Charms with Max damage? Or Charms with Elemental/poison damage? Venom off of Treachery or a charge from Arachnid mesh?
    I look forward to the answer.

2. BAMFSpecialOps

BAMFSpecialOps IncGamers Member

Re: Added smite damage

ED and Min/Max damage will be added, elemental will not IIRC

3. DamienDCLXVI

I heard that ed on weapon wont transfer but +max will, correct?

4. Kronic

Kronic IncGamers Member

this is crazy talk surely you try to tell me the ed on me ebotd wont be added to smite dmg??

5. Elyxthaxzus

Elyxthaxzus IncGamers Member

that's correct, it won't. % ED from your weapon does not transfer to smite. Only direct damage additions on weapons, usually listed as +Damage X to Y. an example would be Astreon's Iron Ward has +damage 40-85, this transfers to your smite, whereas the +240-290% Enhanced Damage on the ward would not.

this is why grief is so popular with smiters for it's monster +damage bonus. BotD is a great melee weapon (one of the best for zealots and WW/fanat barbs). just not a smiters first choice.

%ED on a weapon affects ONLY that weapon, nothing else. weapon ED is calculated differently then other ED sources due to this behavior.

Other things that can affect smite damage are Off-weapon %ED, other damage modifiers such as crushing blow, open wounds, etc., shield type (each has damage range listed for pallys), the strength modifiers of the character, holy shield level, and of course smite level.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  6. Kronic

Kronic IncGamers Member

ok thanks for clearing that up.

7. DamienDCLXVI

Thanks, answered my questions perfectly. I'm currently rocking 'Black' in a flail for the 40 Crushing Blow and 10 to vitality. If anyone can think of a better option with CB that doesn't cost more than a Mal I am all ears.

8. Kronic

Kronic IncGamers Member

The fabulous stormlash if you can get one cheep. :thumbsup:

9. Elyxthaxzus

True dat. Stormlash IMO tops even many popular RW's as well. grief certainly gives you more damage to your smite, but lacks the CB. and the CtC static on stormlash makes VERY quick work of large crows when your zealing.

In all honesty, Black is pretty much teh best mid level RW IMO. very nice stats, high damage, and killer CB for the level. It's only downside is the knockback, which has always kept it out of the hands of my zealot. I could almost see that being a benefit on a smiter tho, helps clear out space on groups so you can ping them down 1 @ a time.

Other then that, it's gonna be real hard to beat it until higher levels (and higher gear).

10. DamienDCLXVI

Yeah I chose Black because of it's cheapness and speed, but ditching the knockback would be useful in killing the immune magic monsters the Ubers spawn. Since my gear only has gores as another source of CB it is important to keep CB On my weapon. Seems like Stormlash, Heaven's Light or Astreon's Iron Ward would be useful.

11. Elyxthaxzus

Very much so. Id lean towards Astreon's or heavens for a pure smiter if you can get them....the +skills help out, and the +damage from Ast adds to your smite, all gravy. Ast is a personal fav of mine, haven't seen one lately tho.

12. DamienDCLXVI

Yeah they might be hard to come by, at least people might trade the Heaven's Light. To my knowledge nobody holds onto Asteron's

13. Elyxthaxzus

Ya, I always thought it odd. If you look at the stats, it's not a bad weapon (Ast). perhaps it's the lack of sockets, who knows. I'd love to get my hand one tho...found a heaven's on this ladder, but its eth, with only 1 socket :p lack of available Zod's (go figure) have put it on the back shelf of my pallys garden shed (makes a great tomato plant stand!)

14. DamienDCLXVI

I hear that, those tomatoes grow so lush and plump in an ethereal weapon with sockets. Have you tried growing pumpkins out of The General's Tan Do Li Ga the pies afterward are TO DIE FOR!

15. Elyxthaxzus

lol ill bet :D and they have an added benefit of 50% extra damage to undead when you throw them. Undead killing tomates! wonder which aura would work best with that....

16. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

ed% from gear other than weapon adds to smite but I prefer skills more than that. As for max damage charms, they do not add at all.