Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Add to the Global Spam List

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Damric, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

Add to the Global Spam List

Ever been scammed? Wish you could get everyone to message that guy and make his life hell? I want to start a Global Spam List to get revenge on these people. Today my friend lost 2 fire skill charms to some jerk on US West account name *corpsegrinder. Please message this guy and annoy him to death. Make him pay!

Let's start a list for everyone of people we hate so we can at last get some revenge.

2. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Dont think it's a good idea trying to start a thread about it.
    Imagine people getting "revenges" on people they simply dont like, or just pulling a joke at.
    No good idea imo.

Frankly, I think this thread is supposed to be locked :frown:

3. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

sorry but this is not a forum to seek revenge among scammers. True, that scammers are annoying and no one likes them. But if everyone posted something like this, we would not have enough time for every single request.

4. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

That is exactly why I would like to make a Global List, so when people get mad at scammers, they can focus the anger and report these perverts. I'm tired of scammers getting away with nothing being done about it. I'm sure I am not the only one in the diablo 2 gaming that feels this way. Maybe if we do something about this we can make them stop. We have to police this game ourselves because blizzard sure isn't going to do anything about it. Let's all stand up and fight against these people.

5. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

theres the "black and white" list on the b.net forums. People on the black list are people who are known to be scammers or have attempted to scam people. People on the white list are trustworthy and can help you with xfers and anni/gheed trades.

There are too many scammers to be named on bnet. And it's not like everyone who scams people do it on a every day basis. Someone might have attempted it once but decided to not do it again afterwards and it would be unfair to them to be put on such a list.

6. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

Excuse me, but how do you define a scammer?

7. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

someone who takes your items without paying, and without your consent, by using some sort of trickery and slyness. =o

8. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

Hmm does being scammed always means someone stole from you in some way?
    Could just be he tricked you somehow into making a bad deal (when trading) for example.

Let's say on Europe, a Tyraels is worth 5 hrs(1hr=6ist), and I know it. Someone is offering it in game and I convince him it's worth 3 ists. We traded, but later he figures out Tyraels is worth MUCH more. So from his perspective I am the scammer now, even if we both completed the trade before he knew the real value, no tricks involved.

So I'd then end up on scammer list as well? o_O

Enlighten me plz ^^

9. Big Mog

Big Mog IncGamers Member

heh, sounds like about half my real life friends

10. Phyrexial

Phyrexial IncGamers Member

@Leohappy: I'd say you're just taking advantage of an idiot/newbie. A scammer would be someone that switchs a Tal's armor for a Rattlecage in the trade screen so you end up with the Rattlecage, for example. In your example, the other person knew what he wanted, knew what he was getting, and got what he intended to get.

11. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Making a list would be sort of pointless. It's too easy for a scammer to just make a new account, and be done with it. There would also be no way to verify that the people on the list are actual scammers.

Besides, it's unlikely that everyone who goes into a trade game is going to sit there for 20 minutes checking to see if the person they want to trade with is on some scammer list (presuming that he/she hasn't changed their name yet).

A better solution would be to start a list of the possible scams that one would encounter on bnet (I think this has been done before, though). That way, at least people would know what to look out for, and to avoid. It'll be more useful than a list of scammers.

The best way to screw over a scammer, is to prevent anyone from falling for his/her tricks. They'll be laughed out of every "trade" game they do :/

12. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Well at first, you feel nothing but getting revenge, but after the rage subsides and when your mind is clear, think rational. There are toomany problems:
    1) how can you tell for sure that that person really scammed someone (that he's not someone you just don't like, you CAN NOT take someone's word for granted, not even your best friends!)
    2) privacy violation (if you got the wrong person, or if people just randomly start harassing people)
    3) list size (the list would keep growing and growing, after a while, it'd be too big to look into it)
    4) list uselessness (once a scammer is on the list and is spotted easily, he won't bother to use that account, he just makes another account, all the old accounts will turn useless and will get deleted, once they are deleted, and once they get deleted, scammers can get back to that account, NOTE, you'll have to delete certain accounts after a time of inactivity since you'll get an even bigger problem with 3 then)
    5) why would anyone be allowed to put names on the list (every person that is ever scammed is scammed because of his or her own fault, nothing can happen, just stay legal and don't give people anything, not items, not passwords)

13. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

1 word, dont be a sucker next time, learn and move on. Its called natural selection.

14. MoonUnit

MoonUnit IncGamers Member

@ Damric: Sorry fer yer loss but this aint gunna be a viable solution, there are WAY too many scammers on bnet. Stuff happens...deal with it :)

15. Sharaz

Sharaz IncGamers Member

there is really no point in all that.

if hes smart (which, he probably is), he already went to the trouble to turn on

/o ignorewispers

you can send him messages all you want of how stupid you think he is, and no matter how mcuh time you waste spamming him, he never sees it.

so, take a moment. feel bad about yourself for getting scammed. get over it, and start looking for another [item] since thats waht this game is about anyway.

16. Joch

Joch IncGamers Member

haven't we all been scammed.. makes you wanna quit diablo II but the very next day you're back online :lol:

If i made a list with all scammers I'dd have a word document right know filling up my intire hard disk.
    Thou it's most of the time no use to post a scammer's account as for a smart scammer will use that account for about a day to scam, then mule everything away and make a new one

17. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

You wait until the next day? I got scammed once, took me about 14 minutes to calm down and continue playing :D

You get scammed that often? (that you can fill up an entire hard disk) Most peeps learn from their mistakes, you know ;)