Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Activision selling cut-scenes

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by FriskyDingo, Sep 16, 2010.

1. FriskyDingo

FriskyDingo IncGamers Member

Activision selling cut-scenes

http://pc.ign.com/articles/112/1120940p1.html

TLDR
    Removing Cutscenes using the game engine from games and putting them in theaters that you have to pay to go see or miss out on them entirely

You will see us use it "within the next five years"
    When will Diablo3 be coming out?
    Very worrysome.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  2. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Re: Activision selling cut-scenes

So, point me to the part of the article that explicitly states that they will physically remove cutscene access from the game itself? The first quote i.e. third paragraph does not count. As it stands, he is basically talking about making a separate product by splicing together cutscenes from the game and selling it as a movie. Not actually deleting them.

Other than that, ROFLROMETER. The backlash on this statement and plan will simply ensure that will not happen. Besides, people who want to watch these things without playing the game already so through the likes of youtube or simply speeding through the gmae with cheats.

3. FriskyDingo

FriskyDingo IncGamers Member

I do hope you see how illogical it is to say
    "Prove to me he said it without using the quote where he said it"

4. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

So, wait, you think it's logical that he is talking about taking the SC2:WoL 60 minutes of cinematic to sell them as a separate product as suddenly making them unavailable in the game? You work for Fox news by any chance?

You are about the only person I saw who interpreted this statement in such a comical fashion. The general (more sensible) response is "What the hell? Pay 20-30$ for 60 minutes of varying quality CGI of the crappy SC2 story?"

Yes, it is a blatant, ludicrous, stupid cash grab. But it's not an apocalyptic "let's randomly decide to cut content and sell at at an inflated price just for the hell of it" level of stupid.

5. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i want a diablo movie already

6. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

That will have to wait until Sam Raimi monumentally screws up the Warcraft movie, makes untold millions with it, and Blizzard hires another awful director to disappoint the everliving crap out of us with a Diablo movie.

Here, a more detailed article:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30305/Kotick_Hints_At_DirectToConsumer_Video_Game_Movies.php

Taking the alarmist out of context Fox News styled "TLDR'ing," it seems that Kotick wants the video game industry to form its own Pixar projects, unconstrained by the economics of theater distribution and big star paychecks. He wants his own private Pixar minimovies that he can stream directly to consumers bypassing most costs, preferably at inflated prices that would make any sane consumer reel and recoil in terror (I mean, seriously, three-four times movie theater cost for 60-90 minute movies? Jesus Christ.) Which might include splicing together existing cutscenes to sell them as separate, "new" products.

But to pronounce that he would literally mandate taking cutscenes and selling them separately from the game? No. That's apocalyptic levels of stupid even for someone like Kotick. A worst case scenario that would have an unimaginable PR backlash that no company can recover from.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  7. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

Kotick is on crack if he thinks people will pay 20-30 bucks to see a movie. Also they wouldn't be able to just cut and paste all the CG and make a movie. It would take more CG to connect the gaps. Some collectors additions already give away the CG on a DVD.

Kotick says stuff just to get attention.

8. AxeX

AxeX IncGamers Member

Kotick is indeed smoking something generally not ment for smoking, but he isn't wrong:

People WILL go see these movies. Maybe not as many as he thinks, but people WILL go see them. And to him thats a paycheck just waiting to be cashed in.

9. Valhauros

Valhauros IncGamers Member

Get used to it, man, it happens a lot around here.

10. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Konfeta, that quote still counts. It's him saying that's the plan, but he just goes on believing in the plan, with no evidence supporting it. We wants a money grab, but it won't work.

The question is, would that number be high enough to be worth it? 20-30...I doubt I'd pay that much for Diablo :( It'd better come with the world's best pop corn, best soda and a massage chair to see it on the giant theater screen.

11. Glass

Glass IncGamers Member

I'm having trouble working out what he means by "take it out of the game".

Does he mean, remove the cutscenes from the game and make people pay to download them?

I want to believe he means they will make cutscenes and make them available for download 'out of the game' sort of like CG movies.

If it's the latter I'm happy; I've always wondered why Blizzard doesn't make cinematic movies.

$20-30 to see a cinematic movie is a bit steep. $10 would be more reasonable. Unfortunately they were able to sell a virtual pony for $25 so that's how they will price things now :(

12. Monster

Monster IncGamers Member

It's just badly worded. They're not going to take the scenes out of the game...as in we can't watch them anymore. How could they? We have them on disc!

He simply means "take" as in "borrow", and fill in the gaps to make a feature length movie.

The fact that anyone thought otherwise is kind of retarded.

13. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

I bet he didn't even ask Blizzard about this before talking to IGN.
    They likely saw the article and thought "...huh, that's not going to happen". Why should they take the time out of normal development to pander to this horrible business venture?

Would I pay for an in-game cutscene that lasts an hour and a half? Barring the fact that I bought and enjoy MGS4, no, hell no. The story and dialogue in most games is painful enough without the additional fee on top of it.
    The price point is just beyond laughable, too. I'm going to spend $30 USD on a movie that will give me one-and-a-half hours of entertainment (if I'm lucky enough to find one actually entertaining) when I could by a game for the same price that can give me anywhere from 8-1.000 hours of entertainment?

The entire article is so horribly written that I'm beginning to think it's a joke.
    But Frisky, thanks for posting it. Giving me more ammo for my research for a book I'm writing. And I still can't post on the bnet forums, I demand justice!

14. Nekora

Nekora IncGamers Member

I don't particularly like Bobby Kotick, but I think he is made into a ridiculous boogeyman by a lot of otherwise levelheaded gamers. He has a way of mis-speaking to investors and the press that sounds bad, but he isn't the source of all evil like some seem to assert.

That said, he has run most, if not all of the franchises Activision directly owns into the ground. He's a bad manager, but don't he is not Satan himself. Most of the worst of his comments have been taken out of context, or were made to mollify stupid investors who know nothing about games.

15. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

I disagree. I would say that he knows exactly what to say to investors, such as "taking the fun out of making games". Keep in mind that there are international investors, many who view Americans in a certain way, and the work ethic of Americans in a certain way, and are humbled by efficiency.

I don't think he's a bad manager, either. He has a plan to make profit, and that plan includes things such as "run franchise 'x' into the ground". His plans are very successful. It just sucks for us that they succeed so well, and that he is that good at what he does.

16. permaximum

permaximum Banned

Bobby Kotick is a good CEO imo. He knows how to get as much money as possible from fanboys.

17. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

@Sass
    That quote only counts in context. Which the OP rather spectacularly left out to post an alarmist "AV CUTTING CUTSCENES FROM GAMES FORCING TO PAY SEPARATELY TO EVER SEE THEM."

Know how this wouldn't have happened? If he took a minute to read the whole article, put some effort to think about it, and made an according adjustment to his post. i.e. remove the downright mythical fear mongering interpretation of the part of Kotick's statement out of it. Perhaps search for more instances of the story to see if any other journalist would put more information on the quotes.

Then we could collectively laugh and cry at Kotick's "treat consumers as wallets" ways without the issue ever coming up in the first place.

18. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

Edit: never mind.

19. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

That's the part that bothers me the most. That and only focusing on 100m+ titles from now on.

In my opinion only, he's everything thats wrong about the game industry.

Please note, that is just my perspective as a gamer that misses the days of games that were made with the understanding that they wouldn't be blockbusters. And I'm not talking about indie games made by tiny teams like they are now.

20. Nekora

Nekora IncGamers Member

I meant that he says things to investors that sound terrible to gamers, and so put him in a bad light. Indeed, he mostly tells investors things they want to hear.

Actually, I think this is wrong. Activision may be having good quarterly reports, but as their franchises get destroyed, and their best developers lost, their prospects for future profitability are becoming bleak. So yeah, maybe he is a good corporate looter CEO, but he is bad for Activision.