Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Activating Windows Help!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Omikron8, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Activating Windows Help!

I changed my motherboard, processor, RAM and video card so i had to wipe my windows partition (c: for me) which formatted my previous copy of windows xp pro

the installation of windows xp pro i made before this last formatting used a retail product key that i bought myself and it worked fine when i used it at the time

windows xp pro was installed today on the blank partition but the tech guy at the computer store used a different key to install it

now windows is telling me on this fresh installation to activate

i click yes and put in the same retail product key that i used on my previous installation of windows xp pro but it says

"according to our records the number of times you can activate windows with this product key has been exceeded, please enter a different product key and press retry"

i checked the microsoft help site and it says if you remove windows for example by formatting then you must activate again, but the same product key you used with the previous installation SHOULD work

so why doesn't my product key work for activation? is it because a different one was used to install the OS itself ?

2. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

not completely sure but i think since you activated it before, microsoft thinks that you're trying to reuse the activation key. Just call them up and ask to help you activate it saying that you reformatted.

3. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

i just called their help phone

the guy gave me a long confirmation id to type into the telephone activation on the activation window

i'm assuming i can use my product key to try and activate or it has activated already

hmm

4. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

ya that's why they should be giving you.. activation by phone