Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Acting environmently friendly - Readme

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by neophase, Apr 10, 2005.

1. neophase

neophase Banned

Acting environmently friendly - Readme

Environmently friendly approach to the following:

Transportation -

Worst is having your own vehicle and wandering around town.
    Carpooling is cool, but still pollutes the air
    Next you got the transit bus, but that also pollutes the air
    Electric Cars - Read elec part down below
    Horses
    Biking
    Walking/jogging/running/rollerblading

------------------------------------------------

Lawn Mowers -

Gas Lawn Mowers
    Electric Lawn Mowers
    Manual Lawn Mowers

------------------------------------------------

Electric -
    Living by powerlines for 20 years will either give you cancer or increase your chances of contracting certain types of cancer, or so I've heard. These are the HUGE HUGE powerlines that run for miles, not just the regular telephone pole ones.
    There's also a new article in the paper stating 'lost electricity'? How it's in our own homes, if someone has a link for that, please post it.

I wonder if batteries, fuel cells, and all that work in with all this, if they are safe/clean/healthy. I bet solar power, wind generators are extremely clean!! I'm leaning a bit more towards solar over wind here, as wind can collect a lot of debree and "unique" gasses in the air/atmosphere. Kind of reminds me of ff7 mako energy :/ Mother Nature.

Obviously, gas and oil are depletable resources, so that takes them out of the question. Only if we had fusion... isn't that the cleanest, or would be the cleanest? As opposed to our future dreams, what is the cleanest form of power? and healthiest way to deliver it? Depletable or renewable resource?

All in all, I'm leaning towards manual lawnmowers, horses and work accelerated transportation (like jogging to make wheels move, or running), and candles over lights, wood stoves over gas fireplaces and furnaces, etc.

2. cyclotronic

cyclotronic IncGamers Member

No matter how efficient the system, electricity will always be lost. The material used to transfer electricity cannot hold onto all of the current that is being sent through them, is is inevitable that how much you send though, you can never get that much out.

That being said, you cannot do a certain job without using some form of energy. Wheather it be eating more because you have just spent 4 hours mowing your lawn with one of those rediculous manual mowers, or spending 2 bucks on a gallon of gas to powere you lawn mower. You also have to account for time lost then argueing for cheaper forms of doing already easy tasks. If it takes you 4 hours to mow your lawn with a man propelled mower, where as it takes half an hour with a gas mower. You have just lost that time, time you could have been spending doing other tasks.

3. neophase

neophase Banned

Replenishable energies are much more environmently friendly than depletable energies. We can regain our energy from work by eating, and food is easy to regrow.
    Gas and Oil are depletable, one day they will run out... maybe in 20 years, maybe in 2000 years... but with wars depending on gas/oil, the prices will dramatically rise in the future, I bet it!!
    Electric has a weakness, once you take out the power, all is lost. Very easy to take advantage of electricity and easy ways to manipulate it. It's almost, as I see it, a device of the wicked, the unpatient, the greedy.
    I've heard vacuum technology is quite cool for producing power, research/urls on this?
    We can always make animals do the work for us? bulls, bears, whales, dolphins, that's the beauty of druids, shamans, wolves, pigs, moose, deers.
    Horses!! Wow, never thought of this... all these animals have their own advantages!!
    Mice, elephents, lions, jaguars, cheetahs, pitbulls, german shepherds, rottweilers, mosquitoes, you name it ;)

4. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

What in the world are you talking about???

You think horses are the answer to our transportation energy/pollution problem??? Can you imagine what the impact would be if every car were replaced by a horse? We'd have to plow down who knows how many acres of natural land to feed this 100-million or so legion of horses. And what do you think happens to all the food that is giving the horses energy? I doesn't poof into thin air, I'll tell you that. All the roads would be 2 feet thick with horse crap in a matter of weeks. Ever hear of the problems with the environmental poisonings that have been caused by excessive excrement around pig farms? Imagine that happening all over. And all of these drawbacks would give us a form of transportation that is far inferior to automobiles.

I seriously doubt that freakin' lawnmowers are anywhere close to a significant factor in our environmental concerns.

Umm...giant human hamster wheels to generate our nation's power...I think the merits of this idea stand on their own.

5. neophase

neophase Banned

Horse crap would be a problem... but since the demand for horses would be huge, only the rich would inherit the first few horses that would be available, and from than on, the problem would gradually escellate (And that's if we didn't do anything about it).
    Next thing, problem with horse crap, over green-house emission gasses... the gas is MUCH more difficult to control and manipulate than a simple solid piece of crap on the ground, if people would just clean up after their own pets?
    Next the food problem, well horses eat grass don't they? grass is replenishable, it's not like they go after the roots of the grass, they only eat the grees which is totally replenishable.
    Pigs... serious problems here, they are of total waste, Lev Root121, don't waste your time in that lostworld, but they are just totally UCK! I don't even eat em anymore, just totally ouch, never want to touch em, they are made of pure mucus of some sort. I would never use them, just quarantine em or something, who knows.
    Grass-fed animals, or plant-fed animals, as opposed to meat-eating animals :/
    That's how diseases work in some kind of "blind" scenario.
    Giant human hampster wheels, great idea, or even better, use cheetahs, jaguards, bears*, pigs*, camels, horses in this idea.
    Anyone seen beast wars, beast machines? transformers television show... Beast Machines especially, a continuation of beast wars... they are formed of organic matter these machines, believe it or not, it's weird, but I wonder what's the science behind that show, really.

Heck, I feel fusion coming in the next 200 years!

6. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Enjoy the dreams, Neophase. I'll be living it up in the 21st century.

7. neophase

neophase Banned

My dreams are meant to become reality bud, you'll see it in our life times, if you live to see the day, you'll know it's me, or one of my strong influences, masters, or followers :)
    Living it up? you mean the tree hugger way or the Bin Laden way?
    Bin Laden will hit his karma, as the equation balances itself out, as the architect has no other choice. He better hope the oracle is on his side :D :lol:

8. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

My car only consumes energy while I'm driving it--your horse consumes energy 24/7.

Which is more efficient?

9. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

There's a reason we moved from horses to cars, bud. Horses are ****ing suck-*** forms of transportation. I don't think technological devolution is the right answer to our environmental problems.

That'll totally wreck, like, your ability to get to work and school, as well as your mobility in general. Markets with lower worker mobility tend toward lower employment rates, and now look what you've done. Your silly pony fantasy has just ruined our economy. I hope you're happy.

10. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

A much more realistic approach would be small, highly fuel efficient vehicles that run on b100 biodiesel.

11. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

If that's some kind of zoological name for a horse, you're gonna be in serious trouble.

12. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Nah, biodiesel is rated by Bxx where the X's represent the percentage of biodiesel versus petroleum based diesel. I believe a b01 mixture is currently available in the midwest.

13. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

lets just make a low emission vehicle that runs off horse crap and everyone can have their way

14. Steel_Avatar

Say goodbye to a global economy.

15. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Not necessarily. Some countries (like Neophasistan) will have comparative advantages in the horse dung industry. In fact, I think Neophasistan will have such a comparative advantage that they'll give economists a new definition for the term "dumping."

Say hello to turd embargoes, which ironically reminds me of our Turd embargo. Welcome to the future, gentlemen.

16. Steel_Avatar

You deserve to be beaten for that, Duped :)

I can never tell if Neophase actually believes what he says.

17. neophase

neophase Banned

Nice to hear direct honesty from you, I really appreciate this.
    Nevertheless arrogant and foolish, and just remarkably annoying, it still represents who you are, as my words show others who I am.

What about hemp oil? isn't that one of the cleanest, most efficient, economic fuels out there available? I heard that somewhere, I know that for sure.

Economy go to dumps? good, I like that idea. Economy fuels growth, growth destroys equality, without equality we are at hate, and with hate, we are at war. Don't you see Utopia wouldn't have an economy :p

By all means, if you think the current trend is the way of the future, the perfect method, than stick by those means. You shouldn't just walk in here and flame someone and stick by the current trends, but try to contribute something that someone hasn't thought of. I don't like the average neutral foolish arrogant citizen. Easy as that.

Any ideas on fusion? Maybe by using Hitchhiker's galaxy guide (42) and PHI 1.618 in the equation, using Gold (79).... possibly Calcium? Rubidium (right before Ca), or even that other one... 79 - 42 = what element has at # 37?
    Using their positive ions, hehe, I'm the hypocrit more than anything now, I oughta just stfu, meh, s'all good.

18. Steel_Avatar

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and a cartoon show. That and Luddite / Amish principles. Is it any wonder no one is taking you seriously?

19. Alviarin

Alviarin IncGamers Member

http://www.webelements.com/index.html

Is " right before " shorthand for " a diagonal can be drawn from " ?

20. cyclotronic

cyclotronic IncGamers Member

Do you even know what fusion is? And why we cannot currently use it as an energy source.

Question 2, do you huff paint?