Act3 Merc Questions

ChaoticTwitch

Diabloii.Net Member
Act3 Merc Questions

actIII merc eh? yeah you heard it right. im tired of never using this merc, and tought i would give 'em a go. Ive read the merc guide and it helped me out greatly with gear and other such choises. i was just wondering if anyone has any advise they can offer me on how to use this merc to his full potential. im guessing the cold element is the "best"? any help will greatly help me out. thnx in advance to all for their help...

cheers, C.T.

Summoned

Diabloii.Net Member
To use this mercenary, you want him to get as high a damage as he can, which involves rainbow facet jewels and +skills items such as harlequin crest and skin of the vipermagi. You will also want to provide one or more capable tanks for him so he does not get swarmed and massacred. The necromancer is especially helpful to this mercenary, using lower resist and a few decent summoned minions to take the brunt of the attack. However, even with the aid of lower resist and as much +skills items as you get, he will still not be able to match a well-fit rogue in terms of damage output. :( But style points? Hell yeah. :cool:

Edit: And I've tried the lightning sorcerer, he's "okay" through normal and nightmare, but falls way too short the instant you step into hell, even with a crescent moon sword.

Sleepless

Diabloii.Net Member
Cold is useful for freezing. Lightning has the highest damage. Fire has ...... nothing. If you choose the light merc the best setup you could use is the 6x facet PB , griffon's eye and a good vipermagi/ormus :D

ElVingador

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, just for starters: you need equipment with bonuses to skills and faster cast rate.
I am using an Act 3 cold merc with my poisonmancer, with the following equipment:

Weapon: Culwen's Point (+1 to skills)
Helm: "Lore" circlet (+1 to skills and lightning resist)
Armor: Skin of the Vipermagi (+1 to skills, fcr, resists)
Shield: Lidless Wall (+1 to skills, fcr)

Total: +4 to all skills, +50% fcr

With this equipment he can kill monsters in hell without much trouble, albeit a bit slowly for my tastes (then again, I am too used to Act 2 mercs); however, cold resistant monsters can be troublesome unless I help him out with Lower Resist. That said, in order to maximize the merc's effectiveness you must use him with a char that has some way to lower enemies' resistances (like Conviction or the aforementioned Lower Resist); you might use a wand with Lower Resist charges, but I bet you'd rather have something more useful in your char's weapon switch. He is not as effective as Act 2 mercs (surprise suprise! ;) ), but he can be interesting if you are willing to experiment with other merc types.

ChaoticTwitch

Diabloii.Net Member
thnx every one for their help and advise. yeah i am going for a more "style point" oreintation here. dont really care if i (or the merc) slaughter all who appose, as long as its fun its all good in my books :cool: a good chalenge is always better i think. i do have a bit of good gear to lend my merc to help him out. so thats not too big of a problem. ( thnx to the generosity of the ppl in the giveaway thread) im leaning towards the light merc, since i think i gave the cold one a go awhile ago. so i thouught i would go with one that i never tried before. whell thnx again to all who helped...off to give 'em a go...

cheers, C.T.

Serdash

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok, random question.

Act 3 Fire Mercenaries use Fireball, right?

Trang's Helm + Trang's Armor would provide +18 fire ball, right?

Ok, as it's normally known, oskills such as that on a sorceress would be limited to +3, is this true for our Act 3 Friends as well? Or would it be a full +18?

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member
Serdash said:
Ok, random question.

Act 3 Fire Mercenaries use Fireball, right?

Trang's Helm + Trang's Armor would provide +18 fire ball, right?

Ok, as it's normally known, oskills such as that on a sorceress would be limited to +3, is this true for our Act 3 Friends as well? Or would it be a full +18?
I'm pretty sure only +X to all skills is the only thing that helps mercs at all, except maybe +combat skills for the act 5 ones

essojay

Diabloii.Net Member
My ideal setup would be (RW mod):

Armor: Skin of the Vipermagi or Ormus's Robe
Weapon: Crescent Moon sword or Spirit sword
Helm: Harlequin Crest or Griffon's Eye
Shield: Lidless Wall or Splendor

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member
skoolbus said:
I'm pretty sure only +X to all skills is the only thing that helps mercs at all, except maybe +combat skills for the act 5 ones
correct. of course, those +combat skills must be ones that the a5 merc uses.

sunbearie

Diabloii.Net Member
sirpoopsalot said:
correct. of course, those +combat skills must be ones that the a5 merc uses.
However, +bash/stun do not appear on Barb helms.

Check out the merc FAQ if you haven't to get an idea of what works, what doesn't.

You can use Ormus's robes with charge bolt/lightning. Fire mercs can also use hexfire for the +3 skills.

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member
@sunbearie - pwned again ;)

@chaotic twitch, moser's blessed circle is a decent shield, primarily because of the 2 sockets (read facets) and ok block. Maybe a P/diamond & facet if you can't get resists on your other gear.

ChaoticTwitch

Diabloii.Net Member
sirpoopsalot said:
@chaotic twitch, moser's blessed circle is a decent shield, primarily because of the 2 sockets (read facets) and ok block. Maybe a P/diamond & facet if you can't get resists on your other gear.
thnx, yeah i do have one of those laying around collecting dust. but sadly i dont have any facets of any sort right now :confused: but a little more playing will hopefully bring me a couple. do have one with a couple of p/diamonds already in it, so maybe ill give that a wirl...

cheers, C.T.

Disco-neck Ted

The Dark Library
I like the attitude on my act III fire merc. He just never admits he can't beat everything in the game. Plus it's fun to have a different merc experience.

Too bad they used the same voice for all the guy mercs.