Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Act1 Mercs are terrible?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by weirdoctor, Mar 23, 2004.

1. weirdoctor

weirdoctor IncGamers Member

Act1 Mercs are terrible?

I just bought myself an Act1 cold merc (Lvl 72, yummy exotic Japanese name called "Maeko" :lol: ) thinking that she could survive much better since she just hangs around behind taking snipes. However, I was APPALLED by their AI (or lack thereof). She'd get stuck behind a rock, and stand there getting hits. Also, she doesn't seem to be doing much damage. I upgraded a perfect Wizendraw bow for her, but still it does roughly 300 max damage when equipped.

Should I give up on her? I would really appreciate input from anyone who has had experience with using the rouge mercs successfully. I'm mainly using her against the PI monsters (still no points in Beserk), but I wonder if they do enough damage, especially since cold arrows tend to have lower min/max damage than other elemental arrow skills. Or perhaps I should just go with an Act3 fire merc or the plain old Act2 might/blessed aim merc?

2. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

Act 2 merc is usually the best to use for most situations, but a rogue merc with nice gear on a tele char can be pretty nice. I would say go with the act 2 one.

3. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Heh upgraded wizendraw? Get her an upgraded riphook with a shael inside
    She'll be shooting like a machine gun with good life leech along with slow target and open wounds.

4. Imp Aegis

Imp Aegis IncGamers Member

I have an act 1 merc, and she quite useful of a crowd control equipped with Delirium helm. She hardly dies because i take care of her, if a bunch of minions start gaining up on her, I tele away on the position where she'll be safe. And with me using holyfreeze aura coming from doom, it's quite amazing how much more of a breeze hell is. If you want to, you can give her a bunch of IAS, and there's no telling how much Confuse will go off. Another good thing about them, even she changes to a Bone Fetish, it doesn't effect them at all. She'll keep shooting, and the nice curse will still go off. Sure, they don't do much dmg, but that's not what I use them for. So no, Act 1 Mercs are not terrible if used right. :)

5. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Wizendraw is a terrible bow for a rogue merc because her cold damge is a % of the total physical damage done and Wizendraw just doesn't do enough damage. Place a goldstrike arch/eaglehorn or any of the unqiue exceps and you'll notice the difference.

Since you're using her for PIs, skystrike/kuko/WWS are good choices because they have high ele damage.

6. royalsego

royalsego IncGamers Member

do you know how powerful a act1 merc is...? my necro has a fire arrow equipped with windforce... i know knockback no longer works well, but for a merc, its very good, i just teleport around, and sometimes my merc just takes down weak duelers easily.

7. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Whoh whoh whoh what the hell!? I know that an act2 merc will lose his jabbing skill when in doll form and will just headbutt really fast. It seems that he is jabbing at that speed because the doll form gains something like a +33% of +66% IAS bonus, but to have the rogue continue shooting in doll form!? that would look totally ridiculous as as the doll has nothing but a knife and seeing these arrows shooting out of a midget would be weird.

8. barblover

barblover IncGamers Member

what do you mean by doll form?

9. caleb_100

caleb_100 IncGamers Member

lol!! go look up runewords u change to a small skel