Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Act One Merc

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Lawrencearm, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Lawrencearm

Lawrencearm IncGamers Member

Act One Merc

What kind of gear would be the best to put on a act one merc? And what kind would be the best?
    Ice bow? Faith? Bramble?
    I have no idea.
    If there is more than one set up, please post what you know. I would like to know the more fun one rather than the stronger one.

Thanks.

2. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

I've heard Faith is a popular choice for the act 1 mercs if you're planning on being melee. Because with the bonus Fanatacism aura, your damage benefits from it. As for the armors and stuff, something with high defence is good. Delirium is a popular helm choice, and Stone is good for it's high defence.
    There are other builds though, so you can experiment with different items.

3. doraemon

doraemon IncGamers Member

apparently you don't get the +damage from fanat aura if placed on merc, but you do get the ias...

not too sure though

4. Claudio_G

Claudio_G IncGamers Member

What is your source? I do not know if one gets the plus damage but at least the LCS (lying character screen) shows it. Anyone can clear this up?

5. Lawrencearm

What about if I was a caster? I dont need any bonus stuff from my merc. I just want a fun merc.

thanks

6. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

You DO receive a damage bonus.

7. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

fanat gives two different dmg bonuses, you get one if you have fanat on yourself (in this case, the rogue will get that bonus), the other (much lower ed bonus) is given to team
    ias bonus is the same regardless

ice bow is also a cool choice for act1 mercs, with it you can mimic an act2 hf merc just this one is using a ranged attack instead :p

8. Lawrencearm

Im not planning on using fanat because its not too fun. Would ice bow shoot arrows that look like ice? What kind of bow do I make ice in?
    What helm do I put on merc?
    What kind of merc do I hire, what mode?

Any posts other than what the fanat aura does would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks.

9. sirmessbu

sirmessbu IncGamers Member

I am surprised that you seem able to afford an ice bow without even knowing its stats and effect but here it goes.

100% Chance To Cast Level 40 Blizzard When You Level-up
    25% Chance To Cast Level 22 Frost Nova On Striking
    Level 18 Holy Freeze Aura When Equipped
    +20% Increased Attack Speed
    +140-210% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    Ignore Target's Defense
    +25-30% To Cold Skill Damage (varies)
    -20% To Enemy Cold Resistance
    7% Life Stolen Per Hit
    20% Deadly Strike
    3.125-309.375 Extra Gold From Monsters (Based on Character Level)

wich means the mercenary will have holy freeze aura and should cast a frost nova 1/4 of the time. For the bow type I would personaly go with a ward bow since its one of the fastest bow and have a very nice average damage.

As for the helm if you choose to use the ice bow you might like Nightwing's Veil, it would help your mercenarys cold damage. Otherwise andariel face is an excellent choice.

as for the armor look at what ever mode ya feel the merc lacks. Act1 mercs are less incline to charge in a mob of creature so high defense is not exactly necessary.

For the mercenary type you could choose from cold or fire rogue. Obviously a cold rogue seems best suited with an ice bow.

As for the fun factor this all depends on people objectivity. My fun on d2 is usually to have the best and most deadly caracter possible. If I was to use an act1 merc I would go with faith\ fortitude\ andys face .

Elemental caster usualy are best suited with an infinity holding act2 merc but hey whatever rocks your boat.

Just my 2 cents

10. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

To be precise, %ed from fanaticism is halved for party members, but it's the bonus to base weapon speed (which is something different and far better than just IAS) which makes fanaticism such an awesome aura. If you wear Fortitude, have a high strength or dex and %ed from your attack skill and other auras, the difference between half and full %ed bonus from Faith's aura isn't that great.

Some people give Faith to the merc and WF to their amazon which deals significantly more damage per shot. However, act 1 mercs die rather easily and IMO it's to bothersome to resurrect her all the time.

11. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

i'd go with fire arrow merc because cold arrow has limited range (about 3/4 of a 800*screen), unfortunately the merc is quite stupid and doesn't close the distance if the arrow range is too short
    so often it will happen that your merc will be shooting cold arrows at enemy but they will disappear before a hit is even scored! so annoying :undecided: