Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Act III Merc Viable?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by amphreded, Mar 29, 2004.

1. amphreded

amphreded IncGamers Member

Act III Merc Viable?

hi i just wondering anyone has an act iii merc who's viable in hell solo pvm?

i never tried act iii merc before so i think it would be a good idea to try to explore this merc's possibity but how well is it?

i'm thinkin that with uber gears, these act iii mercs can be really tough.

for example:

Lightning merc using 'crescent moon' runeword sword for -35% enemy resistance or simply lightfacet 6 sockets sword, and use griffon's eye for fcr, +15&-15% lightning damage & resist.
    ormus' robe for fcr and more lightning damage enhanced. and use either shield socketed with lightfacets or high block/resist shield like 'sanctuary' runeword.

how viable is this? of course it sounds extremely expensive (for the gears) but u think he can survive without getting killed too often? i was thinking he would be pretty powerful if your character is melee or has strong melee summon such as valk or sm as tank. also if u play assasin then cloak of shadow would keep him pretty safe, no? and with poison necro who has a clay golem as a tank, you can use lower resist to break poison immunities for you as well as break lightning/fire/cold immunes for your act iii merc.

2. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

I dont know, but I like this idea!!! It kan work with a char who has a tank allready (Valkyrie, skellys or shadow) or (much more difficult) with a char who can tank himself. My bonemancer has a rouge merc and it works just greate.

3. rogier

rogier IncGamers Member

problem is their AI, and with that setup the resists are low..

4. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

i think it would work, but you would have to tank for him.

5. amphreded

i figure out that the resists for them gonna be pretty low. probably the best thing to do with them is to give them really defensive gear until they reach around lvl70. then u can switch their gear into offensive ones. since at lvl 70, their resistance would be 138% all (+2 per lvl), then with a 70 resist all sanctuary shield or other good resist shield in hell, that would give them max resist and free their helm/armor space to use griffon's eye/ormus robe.
    and when they reach lvl85 or so, then their natural resistance would be 168 resist all, which is 68 in hell when considering the penalty. which is more than enough imo for a ranged attacker (unless u'r using a fire merc). there, you can free his shield into a shield socketed with lightfacets.
    another big problem is AI, as u mentioned. with my past experience of act iii lightning merc that i used in normal mode times to times, they seem pretty dumb. they would walk and stop to fire their spells, and even though monsters have reached them, they still continue to fire spells like mad when they should be running away from any melee situations (unlike the act i roques who are very smart). anyway, i figure that if he does high enough damage at higher lvl, with help of his ubers gear, i think he can kill most monsters if they reach him (for example flayers).
    i was also thinking about using act iii merc, apart from tanking char, with a character who freezes enemy like FA zon or strafe/multi shot zon who can hit monsters entire screen pretty fast and knockback them (so to keep monsters away from u and your merc). but right now i'm really interested in using act iii lightning merc with my poisonmancer because i consistantly use LR. the only problem is that my necro is already lvl89 and so leveling up this new merc going to take too long :(

edit: my bad. i just checked the statistic for act iii merc and the resist all at lvl80 for him would be 25 only. so then a shield with good resist probably is needed.

6. amphreded

another question:

does synergy apply for act iii merc? for example, a lvl70 lightning merc has lvl12 charged bolt and lvl19 lightning. and these skills are their own synergy, so would extra damage apply here?
    also if there's +3 CB/lightning on ormus' robe, does the merc get its benefit?

7. LuUcIoUs

LuUcIoUs IncGamers Member

It really depends on who you use it with. I use a act 3 cold merc with my avenger which i use conviction. I equip him with ormus robes and tiamats rebuke. And a weapon that does cold skills damage. With conviction he actully does some good damage and freezes for me while I can tank. He is lvl 86 and I am lvl 86. His resistance are full maxed. He stays alive quite well. Give him a six socket sword with rainbow facets for what ever your mercs skill is.

8. amphreded

u mean your merc is lvl86 and u r lvl87? i dont think your merc can be surpassed/equal you in lvl.

9. Green_Squirrel

Green_Squirrel IncGamers Member

Yes mercs can be of equal level, just not higher. The only exception is if you're level 99, your merc can only get 98.

10. amphreded

thanks for clarification. greatly appreciated