Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Act III merc for MF Hammerdin?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by fahartle, Apr 9, 2005.

1. fahartle

fahartle IncGamers Member

Act III merc for MF Hammerdin?

Hello all! I'm looking for an excuse to use a different mercenary on a build (ha the things we do to entertain ourselves!). I'm wondering if an Act III merc on a mf hammerdin built for mainly Baal runs would be feasible. I was thinking a spirit sword and shield, vipermagi and shako? But I'd waste the concentration aura on him, wouldn't I? Perhaps if my resists are high enough I could plunk a few points in conviction? Any thoughts?

2. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

I mf with a bone/summon necro but i've seen mf hammerdins using the same juicy runeword 'Insight' on an act 2 merc :p I go for max physical dmg (merc/skellies/revives) + magic (spirit/spear) so no immunity issues and hence an offensive nm act 2 merc (might) is my choice - i'd say a might or a holyfreeze with 'Insight' in an ethereal elite polearm for a mf hammerdin is the best choice :p If you like to go necro mf for kicks/curiousity read my guide 'Bony Magicfinder v1.10' at the necro forum hehe. Guaranteed lots of fun!

3. gedda-d-e

gedda-d-e IncGamers Member

Hi, sure it's an excuse but I have to say an excuse is all it is. The AIII merc's elemental dmg isn't to be compared to the high physical dmg an AII merc deals out with a good weapond and your concentration. And the PI's aren't exactly a problem since you play hammerdin! But! if you already have decided on a AIII merc, and you have the rescources for it, I'd go with a far more extreme build such as dream helm, spirit weap+shield and bramble or such as armour to stack even more of the paladins goodies :)
    Well, I probably went out of line, anyway, it's a fun alternetive setup to the normal boring AII merc.
    good luck with your AIII merc!

// gedda

4. jerichob

jerichob IncGamers Member

And which of Act 2 mercs would you recommend for someone trying to create his first hammerdin? :)

5. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

I am not an expert with hammerdins but IMO a holyfreeze act 2 merc would be best for players totally new to hammerdins as all monsters slow = more time to practice aiming hammers, etc and besides with concentration aura on all the time he does more dmg anyways and hence with even 7-9%leech and some cannot be frozen he would do well in hell :D

6. jd20pod

jd20pod IncGamers Member

an act one merc can be just as effective as an act 2. as long as you give them a decent bow decent armor with good resists and a delirium helm. she puts so many projectiles in the air everything stays confused and for the most part she is smart enough to stay out of the way. just be carful using enigma or teleport from somewhere else because she will get killed if you teleport into a group of monsters.

on my non ladder hammerdin I use a rouge with a shael amn WWS GA socketed with a 15% resist all -15% req. jewel and a delirum Demonhead.

she dies less than my ladder merc which is a HF act 2 guy using naj's armor Vampire gaze and Reapers Toll

so there are other effective options to the act 2 merc.