Act 5 superchest questions

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Okay, so I'm considering doing Act 5 superchest runs for the chance at up to a zod rune, with a side of rack running if I end up doing Nihl's dungeon. (you can find any rackable bases as uniques here, yes?)

As far as I'm aware not a lot of running has been done for these areas, so I would like to find out if anyone knows the optimal settings for high runes. I mainly want a jah, but of course the more the merrier.

I know for LK that most people prefer p7, but I have no way of knowing if this is optimal for Act 5.

Also, I would like to know which A5 chests are actually super chests. Are the golden one(s?) on the way to nihl superchests? Each one at the end of each of the red portal areas? Icy Cellar?

If no one knows which settings are the best does someone know how I can find out?

Thanks!

Fabian

Diabloii.Net Member
Pretty sure this hasn't been tested in 1.13c with a big enough sample to draw any real conclusions. How to find out would be to do a few hundred thousand runs on each player setting and count the number of HR patterns on each player setting. That's how it was determined p7 was the best for LK.

Fabian

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes pharphis, it it would differ between 1.13 and pre 1.13, because of the changes to the rune drops. That's why LK running needed to be restarted when 1.13 was introduced, too.

Grisu

Diabloii.Net Member
jjscud did a lot of testing on all superchests pre 1.13...but as Fabian said, they won't be correct for 1.13 anymore. I could dig up the pre 1.13 files though that tell what runes can drop on what player setting. Post here or PM me if you're interested!

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I would definitely be interested, thanks! :)

Took a look at that guide and now I'm feelin' pretty good about the double unique drop I got in the crypt chest in normal before :p

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
I do not think there are any classical Super Chests in Act V - only Sparkly ones (and some of those are false spaklies, I believe - acting as regular chests).

Sparklies in Act V:
* At the end of the three RoF-esque bonus areas.
* In Drifter Cavern and Icy Cellar.
* Bonesaw Breaker's lair in Glacial Trail.
* One each in Halls of Valor and Halls of Pain. These are always in the big room on the righthand side of the level.
* Occasional (and randomly placed) chests in the three large outdoor areas.

Kimppi

Diabloii.Net Member
The ones in Frigid Highlands and Nilly Halls sparkle but are actually superchests. Easy to see with a couple of runs.

EasyG

Diabloii.Net Member
ye sry for coming up with this sparkly chest information while the op was talking about superchests. Just making one big confusion.

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I do not think there are any classical Super Chests in Act V - only Sparkly ones (and some of those are false spaklies, I believe - acting as regular chests).

Sparklies in Act V:
* At the end of the three RoF-esque bonus areas.
* In Drifter Cavern and Icy Cellar.
* Bonesaw Breaker's lair in Glacial Trail.
* One each in Halls of Valor and Halls of Pain. These are always in the big room on the righthand side of the level.
* Occasional (and randomly placed) chests in the three large outdoor areas.
Wait, I'm a little confused now. These sparkly ones you listed have the rune drops, right?
(also at least on my map the floor layout for the floor before nihl has the big room on the far left, right next to the stairs - chest is in that room, though).

I don't think I've ever noticed the chests in the outdoor areas, either. Can someone post a screeny of one? ;)
This seems like it might be the best chance for Act 5 chests, since outdoor areas are muuuch safer than bonesaw or hall regions. I already had about 5 NDEs last night in just about 40 runs of the hall chests.

I could be mis-remembering, or the guide inaccurate, but Urlik's (?) rune finding guide described Bonesaw's chest as being one of the chests to target for runes.

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
The ones in Frigid Highlands and Nilly Halls sparkle but are actually superchests. Easy to see with a couple of runs.
I don't think I can remember getting anything even remotely exciting (like a lum lol) from one of the nihl hall chests, but I'm also certain I've only gotten the magic/rare drops, so I think you're probably right. No idea about frigid.

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
New questions!
I read earlier today about someone finding a high rune from the evil urn near Thresh Socket (right guy?) in the arreat plateau. Are the mechanics for these understood? I read that the functions weren't defined for these. . . However, this one is sort of broken anyway, but I don't know why it is or how it actually behaves.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't know how it behaves either. I think it's just the spawning of enemies that is 'broken' for this particular Urn (and the one at the end of Frozen Tundra). The drop feels like the other evil urns - something along the lines of what you'd expect from a regular chest.

One nOOb to rule them all

Diabloii.Net Member
It never spawns a monster pack (at least I have never seen it) and always drops items. I would guess similar to the way a normal chest would drop items. There is also an urn before the entrance to ancient's way that works the same way. Every now and then an evil urn inside of a cave will drop an item instead of spawning monsters. I can't tell you much more than that about them.

Ninja'd

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Alright. I'll have to try to dig into the regular classes of chests, then. Though I think assuming it drops like common chests is enough to assume it wouldn't be worth running.

Okay, so since there hasn't been any testing on which psettings are best (or at least not enough of it) for Act V chests I'm hoping there is a way to find it in the game files somewhere.

I suppose the game would use a formula to decide what handful of "the same items" to drop every time? and the formula is limited to 35536 possibilities? Do be honest I'm not sure where to start my search, and have no experience reading game code. . .

Fabian

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm 99+% sure it wouldn't be possible to find out that way. The reason I feel so confident is that if it was possible, one of the huge d2 game file geniuses would have figured it out long ago, and the billion man hours spent researching LK drop patterns, both in pre- and post 1.13, would have been completely unnecessary.

I'd start running at p7 if I were you.