Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Act 3 mercs

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Crane, May 20, 2008.

1. Crane

Crane IncGamers Member

Act 3 mercs

I've started to build a charger/abbot and I'm looking at an act 3 merc to help me with immunities. I'll be running cleansing as my main aura and probably using an insight polearm for most of the game, so I'm not entirely worried about it dying (should I be?). I'll equip it with some lower pdr gear just to keep it from biting the dust if I have to. But... I'm worried about it actually killing things.

On the strategy compendium, it lists this:

Eastern Sorcerer - Lighting
    Exp Level
    15 37 61 99
    Charged Bolt
    4 8 12 12
    Lightning
    3 10 17 28

Is it actually like this, or does it scale more? According to a skill calculator I found, a level 17 lightning synergized with a level 12 charged bolt does a whopping 1-415 damage. What am I missing, or are they that bad? Crescent moon would be good for them I guess, but still.

I think immune cold/physical is less common so I could get one of the cold mercs if I wanted to I guess... but their damage still looks pitiful.

OR...

Should I just use a might merc and do stupidly good damage while using vengeance or just running away from physical immunities?

2. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Re: Act 3 mercs

Light mercs are bugged. And anyway, A3 mercs can't kill to save their lives, you are better off finding some other way to beat immunes (elemental damage, Amplify or Decrep curses etc.).

3. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

They only really do damage with conviction helping them out.

4. Crane

Crane IncGamers Member

Thanks, that would've been an annoying mistake to try to fix.

5. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

Act 3 mercs without Conviction are worthless. I tried a lvl 75 cold merc in River of flame. He had Vipermagi, spirit sword, lidless, Duskeep (max resists), and he couldn't do a thing!

He was dieing very very fast and killing nothing.

I tried ac1 mercs afterwards. They were actually surviving and helping out.
    If you equip them with elemental damage bow, they can help with phys immunes. (also some bow with CtC amp damage will help)

Act 2 mercs with reapers toll will enable u both to kill phys immunes as well.

Act 5 mercs with Azureath or Lawbringer (runeword sword) should be able to kill phys immunes as well (since most of them are undead, and both wep's have non phys damage as well)

6. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

A Harmony bow sounds very nice on a mercenary - Boatloads of elemental damage, some ED% to help leech, and a constant Vigor aura.

7. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

Nah. The aura is nice yes, but only if you can tp. Otherwise the merc will typically be a victim of its own aura and you'll run out of reach too easily.

Also, the elemental damage, the kind that is on bows like Harmony and on weapons like Buriza etc... It's both overrated and ineffective, and doesn't even begin to approximate 'boatloads'. It's nothing strange either, if you compare this kind of damage to the likes of blizzard and orb.

All of that put aside... Act1 mercs are lousy killers because they don't have stuff like multishot or strafe. Relying on them for amp damage is a bad idea for the same reason. The only things that do work nicely on them is stuff that is pretty much guaranteed to go off, like Wrath's decrep.

Act3 mercs are bad because they can't leech and because there's no role for them to fill. The only thing they're good for is suppyling you with sanctuary aura.

btw, I generally tend to not really care about mercs when playing a melee character. I used to like a reaper's toll on my merc, now I just run past the phys immunes. Not like I have any reason to kill them anyways tt.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  8. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

I'm also still debating on that merc to use on my 1 pt smiter...

I tried act 3 mercs, but I didn't like them
    Now i have cold rogue with a Riphook (not much damage, but other nice mods), she does very well (i.e. surviving).

I'm also considering a defiance merc, but with 75 CTB and about 8k defense (max HS), i don't really know if its worth it.