Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Act 3 mercs

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Wolfedude, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Wolfedude

Wolfedude IncGamers Member

Act 3 mercs

I am building a barbarian thrower and will probably acquire an act 2 might merc as is advised by the guide in the barbarian forum. But until then I am using an act 3 cold merc and got to thinking about something - the best equipment for one of them.
    It just so happens that I have an ethereal culwins and feel that might make for a good weapon. I don't really understand how the amount of damage the merc does is calculated but the sword does have that extra + skill.
    I also have an ethereal mosers shield. With the right armor and a mosers the merc would probably have maxed resists and the blocking is high, but the defense is over twice the normal mosers. My thinking is it would be a good shield for the merc.
    I don't have an opinion as to what helmet or armor to use but after writing all this down I got to wondering what is the best possible equipment for one of these guys? And how is the damage they produce calculated?
    Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. NEURO_CKY

NEURO_CKY IncGamers Member

ill take a super quick guess real quick while slacking @ the office:

spirit crystal
    spirit monarch "he will need to be lvled a bit for this critter"
    upped um'ed viper
    shako

seems pretty tasty to me.....but i love the the act 2 mercs in nm the best....but im sure you partly agree....as you have mentioned the might merc already. good luck with your new thrower man!!!

CampKillYourself

3. Epsilon Eyez

Epsilon Eyez IncGamers Member

The Ultimate Merc Guide does not list +skills as working, so best advice would be to use Faceted items.

4. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

I'm 99.9% sure +skills items work on mercs, and I'm 99% sure that blocking does not matter on mercs (even act3 mercs).

Therefore, I'd say go with CKY's setup as closely as possible.

5. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

This was taken from the guide

(7) Mercs benefit from +all skills items. They do not benefit from +class skills or +skill tabs. This was a feature in 1.08 and 1.09 – Sadly in 1.10 this feature has been removed.

So yes mercs do benefit from +skills...The problem is that even with massive +skills they're damage will still be lacking.. the cold one is good for crow control though. CKY's setup sounds very good...but maybe a facet for increased damage...although UM is probably better. As for low-level gear which I think you're asking for... Culwens is good..Tarnhelm cap and ethereal Mosers sounds great...very good setup...but ditch him as soon as you get to act nightmare and can get the sweet sweet might merc. Good luck

6. happyfamine

happyfamine IncGamers Member

the key to equipment on a3 mercs is faster cast, not +skills. they don't have synergies and don't do that much damage per shot, even with lots of +skills. you'll get more out of them, especially the cold one, if they have lots of fcr.
    thanks to the spirit runeword you can take care of this easily and get +skills as a bonus. go with a lidless if you aren't going to level him to the point of carrying a monarch. a 20fcr circlet isn't that hard to get. viper is obvious for armor - you can get a low resists one cheap. facets are nice, death ones especially, but not really needed if you are going to ditch him an a2nm. if you don't bother with a spirit sword give him one with 100% monster flee. a3 mercs do use the sword in close quarters sometimes when they are getting swarmed.

7. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

Mercs do get synergies... not that this helps you a lot, as there isn't a lot of good stuff to go round with that synergises a Cold Merc.

8. happyfamine

happyfamine IncGamers Member

oops - meant to say masteries, not synergies. if they had masteries +skills would help a lot more than they do.