Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Act 2 Mercenary Socketable Question

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Lunarhammer, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Lunarhammer

Lunarhammer IncGamers Member

Act 2 Mercenary Socketable Question

Hi, I got some new gear for my act 2 merc, curious to know what the best (runes/jewels/gems) would be for my ethernal skullders armor and andy's visage. For my merc's weapon I use a tomb reaver and put double amns in that, wasn't sure if their are better options but thanks for any help, not sure if this is the right section to ask this but thanks.

2. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Re: Act 2 Mercenary Socketable Question

I'd say a ruby jewel of fervor (fire res + ias) would be best for the andy visage. If fire resist isn't an issue, then any jewel of fervor would be nice, though Cham is another good choice if he doesn't otherwise have CBF.

Eth Skulder's is an odd choice for a merc, imo, but if he doesn't need resists, then maybe an ias jewel would be good. A cham might be fine if you put something else in the helm.

If he's not dying to anything in particular, then I'd go with IAS, though 2Ber (16% DR), 2Sol (14 idr), or 2Mal (14 mdr) is nice.

3. Lunarhammer

Lunarhammer IncGamers Member

hi, thanks for your advice. do u think that the double amn should be replaced perhaps? i could only afford to go the sol route or double 15 ias jewels for the tomb reaver? thanks again for your expertise.

4. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

No, the double amn might be fine. I only say ias because you want to put something in the helm/armor, and ias is a decent choice.

Double Sol would be fine, but then I'd suggest you use Gladiator's Bane too. A good G Bane with 2 Sols (helm/armor) gets you 34 idr, iirc. That can really help the merc survive. Plus it has CBF.

But, really, the best socketing is determined by what you want him to do. Is he dying to magic damage? Socket Mals. Dying to physical damage? Sols. Dying to Conviction Souls? Socket Orts or Ambergris jewels of something-good. If he's surviving fine.....do you have much more life leech than you need (you might with andy + 2 amn)? Ias is always good, but you should check this attack speed calculator.

Why is that you're using Skulder's? There are other much better option....unless you're letting him finish off mf targets for the bonus mf%?

So, to be more helpful, I need to know

1) is he dying to anything in particular,
    2) what function is he serving (also build of character).

Just keep in mind what his purpose is, and make sure he fills it.

Edit: Also, for the Tomb Reaver, unless you'd use ias jewels with a good prefix, Shaels are often better.