Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Act 2 merc... normal or nm?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Naraka, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Naraka

Naraka IncGamers Member

Act 2 merc... normal or nm?

I've got me a Lvl 62 CL/FO sorcy, who's quickly becoming my 'item finder', my only high level character at the moment. She's just entered Act 4 NM, and at players 8 is having a bit of a rough time at it. Her only saving grace is her really high defence defiance merc. He's Lvl 62 as well, and with his aura on he has almost 4000 defence (and gives my sorc a good 1300-1400 defence as well, after bonuses from Shiver armor as well).... so he can tank really well, but lately the act 4 folks are really beating him into a pulp... i've found myself at least once a day running normal cows to pick up as many chipped and normal gems as I can, and cubing about 20 full rejuvs a playsession (which, to you might not sound excessive, but before I hit act 4 I just picked up what i found and was happy).....

My question, despite being a loyal companion and the HUGE defense bonuses, should I continue on with him and hope for better equipment, or should I just bite the bullet and go grab a Holy Freeze merc, get him levelled up, and run with that? What would the pros/cons be Defiance vs Holy Freeze?

Or Should I just go get an Act 5 barb to act as a super duper tank?

Naraka

2. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Personally I think you should keep the current one. Holy freeze mercs are quite fragile for some reason, and they won't last longer than defiance. Act 5 merc are no better tank compare to defiance even with more life, since they get hit more often. You should really looking for something with high defence (for merc) to take advantage of the defiance aura, something like this:

Godly Ornate Plate
    Defense: 1348
    Durability: 60 of 60
    Required Strength: 170
    Required Level: 38
    Item Version: Expansion
    Item Level: **
    Fingerprint: 0x69ee762c
    +199% Enhanced Defense

(yours if you want, just PM me)

3. Naraka

Naraka IncGamers Member

<jaw drops>

well... wow.. i don't know what to say... thanks! but... well mercy only has 145 str at the moment, and.. while i welcome the idea of help, i am trying to develop my own self found grail, as well as only use stuff that i've found myself.....

i've only had one character ever make it to hell, she made it to act 1hell on her own, and was twinked/boosted to act 5, level 80 or 81.... long time ago. needless to say there's a LOT of high level items i've NEVER seen... that's one of them. :)

Thanks again though.

4. vajurewi

vajurewi IncGamers Member

I havent used the act 2 mercs much - the fishymancer build recommends a Act 2 NM Might Merc - can I get a Might Merc from Act 2 normal? what does their aura look like? I know the Thorns aura, but not Might...

5. NSXdreamer

No, only act 2 offensive merc is might. The aura look something like thorn with only one radial line spinning instead of two, in a smaller radius.

6. Spook_Cell

Spook_Cell IncGamers Member

You also have to get your merc from nightmare if you want him to have might or else you will get blessed aim as your aura.

7. weregamer

weregamer IncGamers Member

Just to clarify: For all the other acts, the mercs are the same in all modes, except that one acquired in Normal and "grown" to the same level will have slightly better stats than one acquired in Hell.

Act II mercs from Normal and Hell are also the same with the same caveat.

Act II mercs from Nightmare have different auras than the others.

For more details, check out http://www.diabloii.net/townsfolk/mercs2.shtml.

8. Milamber

Milamber Banned

I also agree that you should go with the Defiance merc.

My Meteorb MF Sorc has a holy freeze merc, and he gets torn apart if swamped my quick moving enemies.

Also, why are you running normal cows for chippies? if you want full rejuvs, it's easier to cube mana and life potions together to make small rejuvs and then cube three of them to make a full rejuv...

9. NSXdreamer

From 1.10 on, you need gems for the rejuv, chips make normal, regulars make full.

10. Milamber

Milamber Banned

What 3 Life, 3 Mana and 1 Chip to make a small rejuv?

11. NSXdreamer

Yep, it sucks I know. :grrr:

12. Milamber

Milamber Banned

Sucks badly.

13. Naraka

Naraka IncGamers Member

it does suck badly, but it's somewhat offset by the mana pots being sold at th e merchants, and it really does feel like gems drop more often. so normally it's not a prob. my biggest gripe is that you have to use chipped only for partial rejuvs, and NORMAL gems only for full. other gem qualities don't work at all..... quite annoying.

Nar

14. NSXdreamer

There is a quick solution for this though, get a barb with find potion, go in act 3 NORMAL to kill things, then use find potion. The quality of rejuv you find is not realted to difficulty level but rather which act you are in.

Here are info from AS:

Chance of Potions:

Healing: 60%
    Mana: 30%
    Rejuvenation: 10%

Rejuvenation
    Act 1: Rejuvenation Potions
    Act 1: (Night/Hell) Full Rejuvenation Potions
    Act 2: (Norm) Rejuvenation Potions
    Act 2: (Night/Hell) Full Rejuvenation Potions
    Act 3: (Norm/Night/Hell) Full Rejuvenation Potions
    Act 4: (Norm/Night/Hell): Full Rejuvenation Potions
    Act 5: (Norm/Night/Hell) Full Rejuvenation Potions

15. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

I Mat'ed a sorc using a Defiance merc, so it's certainly possible. It helps to have lots of life leech, obviously, and a "slows target" mod (my merc used an upgraded Kelpie Snare) helps too, especially against Act Bosses.

If i remember correctly, my merc had a defence of around 7500 when I whupped Baal in Hell, so 4000 isn't too shabby at all.

16. WhiskeyJack

WhiskeyJack IncGamers Member

Get some life leach for that merc...also, how are his resists? you might try rolling a blood armor using a templar coat- the def isn't high (i have rolled between 375 and 450ish I think), but the LL and potential resists are nice. If you aren't using a good weapon, look for one you can socket with a p-skull (or use a socketing quest on a good one).

that would be my first steps...maybe check runewords for armors and weaps too...

cheers,
    WJ

17. Naraka

Naraka IncGamers Member

Well, I've got this hawkmail with fairly high defence, at least several levels back I was going to give it to him mainly for the cannot be frozen mod... my sorcy loves that... but in order for me to give it to merc, i needed a two socket good shield so I could make a Rhyme runeword (has the same cannot be frozen mod)... of course now that time has eclipsed, he's wearing an armor in the 300 defense range, the hawkmail was upper 180's or 190s i believe... One of his major drawbacks I've noticed is that when he gets chilled it really kills his effectiveness as a merc, and becomes quite the meat shield.... and mobs hit just as hard at players 1 as they do at players 8... If I ratchet down to say players 4 or 5, my FO's can kill them before they have a chance to do too much damage, but they stay alive long enough to present a decent challenge still. Players 1, the FO's just dominate but I don't like doing that, i feel like I'm shortchanging myself.... I don't drop to players 1 unless i've hit an act boss and can't get past them at players 8 (at which point i drop it to players 5, then 3, then 1 if I can't get past them by then).

*sigh* I think I need to stick in act 3 for a while and level up some more, perhaps run mephy a lot and look from some better gear. I've been looking for a good 5-socket polearm for the Honor runeword, but so far no luck finding a decent exceptional (normals all over the place though 8(((((( )

Nar

18. Uncle_Mike

Uncle_Mike D2 PvP Moderator

Hello!
    My lvl ** Meteorb sorc uses a Holy Freeze merc and I can't say a bad word about him thus far. His biggest advantage is that he chills all monsters including the cold immune ones. He easily deals with dual immunes (cold/fire). The problem is that in order to keep this merc alive you need decent gear. Mine uses shaftstop, gaze, and Reaper's Toll - that means tons of DR, life leech, decent damage, and that invaluable 33% chance to cast decripify (spelling) upon striking. He proves to be a decent tank as well.
    i do not know about the rest of the game but up until now (act 3 hell) I've had hardly any merc survival issues.
    So if you ask me, go for Holy Freeze.

Regards,
    Mike