Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Act 2 Merc For Meteor/Orb Sorc

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by offline5555, Apr 1, 2004.

1. offline5555

offline5555 IncGamers Member

Act 2 Merc For Meteor/Orb Sorc

I am wondering what what auras corresponds with what merc
    Defensive
    Offensive
    combat

I remmeber there are differences in normal/nightmare/hell as well
    If someone can let me know i will be greatly appreciated.
    In addition, what do you guys think? Holy freeze better or defiance better?

2. gzvernon

gzvernon IncGamers Member

i like defiance personally, you can always get doom if ur rich enough

Combat/Normal Difficulty: Jab/Prayer
    Combat/Nightmare Difficulty: Jab/Thorns
    Combat/Hell Difficulty: Jab/Prayer
    Defense/Normal Difficulty: Jab/Defiance
    Defense/Nightmare Difficulty: Jab/Holy Freeze
    Defense/Hell Difficulty: Jab/Defiance
    Offense/Normal Difficulty: Jab/Blessed Aim
    Offense/Nightmare Difficulty: Jab/Might
    Offense/Hell Difficulty: Jab/Blessed Aim

hope this helps

3. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Depends alot on your playstyle i'd say.
    My preferences are usually either Defiance or Mightmerc. Here's the basic pros to all 3 merc:

Holy Freeze: slow monsters, great for Blizzard builds combined with your GS
    Defiance: This one can tand his ground and is very hard to kill (unless cursed with IM, but then all mercs die fast :p)
    Might: This is the bosskiller. His damage can really skyrocket.

Usually i go with Migthmerc since my Meteorb can easily stand her ground ith high life, maxblock and high resists.

In a rather defensive build i would choose Defiance. Never used Holy Freeze until now since my Orb can perfectly well do the freezing.

If you play with some buddies regularly be sure that all of you have different mercs so you can get an optomum amount of multiple auras! :teeth:

4. Stormcryer

Stormcryer IncGamers Member

It really depends on the build you're using.

For a really excelent tank build, using and Act 1 defiance merc and leveling him up, (i.e. not bought in Nightmare) can get you some great returns in addedd def.

With my current build, including Shiver Armor, and def from merc, my overall def sits at 8000. The merc himself with the existing EQ I have on him has a def of over 10000. He can literally tank Hell Diablo while I sit back, static, and meteor.

I give most of the kills to my merc. At lvl 85, With a Reapers, Crown of thieves ( adds up to a beautiful 25% LL), and Eth Glad Bane, I swear if it was possible, he could quest the game himself.

Not to mention he gives me someone to shout at. (Occasionaly he has goes off on his own and accidentally draws in more nasties than I had expected. and I have to slap him down....)

Storm

5. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

when using the Weapon speed calculator, do I put Paladin, or Barbarian?

6. offline5555

I also wanted to ask....
    1)if a defiance merc from normal and level him up would end up stronger than a defiance merc from hell and level him up?
    2) Does holy freeze works on Bosses like mephistho? and super uniques in act 5?

Appreciated!

Geez... how do you ppl memorize stuff like that? :worship:

7. offline5555

In my opinion, holy freeze should be much better than defiance, if it works on bosses. I mean, holy freeze not only freezes the opponent, it slows them down too~! And the higher level of the holy freeze, the bigger range of the monsters would be affected!

8. gzvernon

1) yes it will be stonger, more resists & more life
    2) yes Holy Freeze will work on anything as long as they touch him or he touches them (its a contact thing)

9. gzvernon

Does'nt do any good if he cant survive to attack anything does it, in my experience it take VERY high defense to survive in hell for melee type , that is why i went with a Act 2 Defiance merc bought in normal & lvld him up
    like i said u can always get Doom or some thing that slows monsters (lots of equipment out there with slow & freeze monsters on it,i.e.....Doom, Woestav, Blackhorn's face)

Hope this helps

10. Stormcryer

Stormcryer IncGamers Member

The difference in using an Act 2 Normal Defiance and an Act 2 NM Defiance is 1 or 2 levels at lvl 90.

Some where I once saw a merc chart that showed this.

Seems teh game enigneers wanted to reward those who were faithful to their merc and kept him arround.

Waheed, my best NPC friend, has been with me since I was able to get him in normal, and has not only given me teh greatly increased DEF, but also given me someone to curse at when teh game started to throw a few curves my way. He never talks back (negatively that is), and for the occadional price of a health or rejuv potion he doubles my def rating.

This is one of the reasons that I always promoted the Defiance merc for Tal Set builds. Many argue that teh Tal set doesn;t provide as much Def as a unique itme build, but once you add the Shiver armor, (basically doubles you Def) then your merc's defiance aura (Doubles again) you start to see some really craxy base def numbers.

Currently with SA and Merc Def, my build hits the scales at a little over 7600 Def. His def is even better at a little over 12000.

My style of play allows me to switch weaps and skill VERY fast, and I also play a little more tank than many would think so the added def is better for me.

It would be interesting to see some test results as to which, slowing your opponent,(holy freeze), having your merc hit a little harder (might) or having crazy defense to allow you to stand your ground and cast (defiance) would be "numerically" be better.

Stats guys..jump in anytime.

BTW Rule 1 with merc....equip him as if you were equipping yourself even if it mean trading away that nice MF find to do so.

My merc is using and Eth Glad Bane (very nice), a crown of thieves (great leach) and a Reapers Toll. Soon to be switched to a Tomb when I get the chance. (got a few nice excpectional Polearms and spears that I could use and would like opinions as to which I should give him...

Spire of Honor
    Arioc's Needle
    The reapers he's got now
    and of course teh Tomb that I'm leaning toward on getting him

Any thoughts???

Storm

Storm

11. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

actually, except for my ik barb, my other ww barbs have under 8k def, after shout/ironskin. i found resistances/leech/absorbs more important to keep them alive, as elemental damage ignores defense.

same principle i use for mercs as well. res is automatic, but i try to keep leech up over 15%.

12. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Chart for Mercs and their stats:
    http://www.diabloii.net/townsfolk/warrior-defensive.shtml
    http://www.diabloii.net/townsfolk/warrior-offensive.shtml
    http://www.diabloii.net/townsfolk/warrior-combat.shtml

The one's from Normal get a bit higher stats, which can be useful in Hell. Also their life is a bit higher. Lvling them up can be a bit of a pain though until they get to ~lvl25. From then on its a breeze. Good tactic to get those Normal Mercs firestarted is to do Cowruns. The get some really nice XP there.