Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Act 2 Merc - Best Helm? (Not Andys...)

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by SimmoK, Aug 11, 2010.

1. SimmoK

SimmoK Diabloii.Net Member

Act 2 Merc - Best Helm? (Not Andys...)

So my zealot is up and running now (and man is he kicking ***, thanks to everyone that contributed to my earlier topic).

I currently have an Act 2 might merc. He is using Reapers Toll (casts decrepify), Stone armour (4.5k def and v cheap until I get around to buying an eForti) and Tal Helm.

I have my eye on a 15ed 5 sox Eth Thresher I have seen as I think making the 'Doom' runeword (Holy freeze) would make for a much more effective merc instead of using a Reapers Toll casting decrepify. The Doom Thresher would do quite a lot more damage (~200 average per hit) as well as having 45% IAS.

This bring me onto the helm question, I used an IAS calculator, and with my lvl 27 fanactism the merc would ONLY need 44% IAS to hit the max 5 frame attack merc breakpoint. I dont think ive ever had a 5 frame attack merc but it sounds fun, and would go well with my 4 frame zeal. :thumbup:

So in summary, if you need a helm for a merc when IAS ISNT NEEDED then what is the best choice? Tal Helm? Crown of Thieves (12%ll)? VampireGaze (8%ll and DR).

Im leaning towards a good eth VampGaze, am I right in thinking it can also be upgraded?

Thanks,

Simmo.

*Edit* To complicate things further, ive just remembered that decrepify also boosts the damage done to enemies, therefore making the extra dam of a 'Doom' weap much less significant. Does anybody have any thoughts on which is a more effective PvM set-up?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Act 2 Merc - Best Helm? (Not Andys...)

I'd stick with the RT myself, I don't think the Doom is really that much of a boost, and certainly not cost effective imo.

In general if I have LL and no IAS issues I'll use a Guillaumes Face on the merc.

FWIW my setups are pretty much always:

Treachery
    Obedience / Insight
    Andys / Tals / VGaze
    or RT + Guillaumes + Treachery (yes i love this armour - having an Eth merc is sexy :D).

(been tempted to bid on the 15ed eth thresher myself to make another Obedience, i love this runeword - but saving for an infinity, so passing this one).

3. SimmoK

SimmoK Diabloii.Net Member

I love obiedience too, massively underused runeword yet can produce stupidly high damage for virtually no cost! Same goes for Stone, I used a non-eth one on a paladin last ladder, was ~2.3k def in a 15ed AP, lol.

Yea, ive been asking a few other people too and they seem to suggest that it may be better sticking with reapers toll. Need to find myself a good eth one now!

4. hubb

hubb Diabloii.Net Member

For a zealot there's no other choice but RT ;D

I'd go for guill's face.

5. Juicy Cheese

Juicy Cheese Diabloii.Net Member

If your Zealot has a large amount of Crushing Blow, then I'd suggest Vampire Gaze, if not, then perhaps Guillame's Face would be better.

6. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai Diabloii.Net Member

Not sure why you're excluding andy's - +2 all skills (affects aura) and the 25+STR can help with equipment reqs.

Though, if you're set on Doom, then I would go with a Guillaume's for some CB. I'd rather save the runes and keep the decrep myself. Don't forget to calc the damage bonuses for you and merc when decrep sets its, as well as its ability to break most PIs.

7. Joeyzon

Joeyzon Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah...vamp gaze can be upgraded...however there is a chance it could end up with a LOWER defense than before...so be aware of that.

8. RealmOftheWolf

RealmOftheWolf Diabloii.Net Member

Guillames Face - 15 ias jewel
    Fortitude or duress
    The reapers toll

4.5 Frame attack with decent damage and 35 -50% crushing blow.............Nice