Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Acolyte of hephaestrus?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Calizzar, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Calizzar

Calizzar IncGamers Member

Acolyte of hephaestrus?

was readign the palazon guide and came across this:

anyone want to explain that?

2. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

That would mean wearing wizardspike and phoenix, the enhanced damage wizzy they're referring to draws it's ed from phoenix directly... that was sarcasm, from the looks of it. She uses the trang parts to get as many fire attacks as possible, since Trang's set grants things such as fireball, firewall, and meteor.

3. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Devestating was a bit sarcastic, yes, but the build is possible. Moonflax is currently testing this as I am on Asia and cannot afford the equipment (Phoenix, Infinity). The guide linked to is unfinished and confusing and much, much longer than what is posted here, I am working on editing it. The Acolyte material was an Appendix to the main Battlemaid guide. I have sent all my notes on the Acolyte to Moonflax. Though we have had some disagreements about equipment choices (he is using HotO with CtA on switch, CtA is not needed for any of these builds).

An Amazon with a Dagger in melee is a damn fast and deadly beast. Normally, one would use a Fleshripper. In this case her main attacks are things like Fireball so she needs caster equipment. She could use HotO, but Phoenix is inadequate for an Amazon with a swinging weapon because the block 'bug' kicks in and can't be overcome with the build. Using Wizardspike, a stabbing weapon, the block bug does not occur. In this way, if needs be, the Acolyte can go into melee, surrounding herself with her enemies, dropping Firewalls and Meteors on top of herself ensuring they hit. HotO is ideal for casting from a distance, but you need to have a close in melee capability and that is what the Wizardspike is for.

When my new PC comes back from getting fixed (I use a Mac, but got a PC last week... already getting fixed... stupid PCs), I will get one of those SP Editors so I can test all this stuff myself. I know I have been promising this for a long time (years in fact), but I WILL have the guides up by the end of the year. I have assignments and final exams over the next few weeks, so after that I will get stuck in. I might even end up getting Moonflax to collaborate on the Acolyte section.

Now to answer all the Palazon questions I have had this week...

4. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Blocking with a swinging weapon is not essentially a bug, but rather a normal part of the game. It's just a 17 frame blocking rate. It was possibly made that way by blizzard to deter players from using swinging weapons, opting for the more natural weapons the 'zon uses, Javelins, Spears and Bows. Daggers are fortunate enough to be stabbing weapons, and have the 5 frame block rate when using a shield with them.

A similar misconception is that the slower casting and attack rate of a Necromancer with Trang-Oul's set is a bug too, it's just a different set of frame breakpoints in vampire form. The exact same deal occurs with a Druid's shapeshifting, it will adopt different FHR, FCR and FBR frame speeds.

5. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

I wholeheartedly agree, it isn't a bug, it's just that most people know what the 'block bug' is (even when they don't actually know, or know it third-hand as "OMGZ z0N c4n7 y00z sw0rdz c0z tey h4vez teh bl0ck bugz 4n w1ll diezzzzz"), so it's easier just to call it that. It's a peculiarity of the build along the same lines as a Sorc having the highest attack speed with an axe. Use Stormshield and there is no problem at all. Phoenix doesn't have FBR so using Wizardspike solves the block rate hassle (and gives a hefty boost to FCR and All Resists). There's not much point in having the +3 Skills from HotO if you spend all your time blocking.