Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Achievement/Profile Information

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Risingred, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

Achievement/Profile Information

Gleaned from the new patch. Lots of digging for these.
    Normally I would just put these into the wiki but I have no real way of referencing or validating the information, and the visuals thus far are less than stellar to put it mildly.

Achievements:

I have no specific achievements to share. Just general info.
    The achievements will be handled very similar to what was seen in StarCraft II as far as the UI goes. I don't mean visually, I mean functionally. The Achievement pane will display a summar of recent achievements, and you can organize them by type, by whether or not they have rewards, and also if you've earned them or not, just like in SC2. I'm wondering if they've managed to avoid the spoiler pitfall that the SC2 achievement pane had in force.

There are multiple achievement categories:
    Campaign, Cooperative, Hardcore, Classes, and combat. You can filter the achievements by any of the means listed above.
    There's also a "showcase" feature like you can see on an SC2 profile, where you can select your favorite achievements to show up on your profile in the showcase to basically show off that you did that. Yay. There's only a certain number of slots for them.
    There's also a progress bar telling you how many achievements you've...achieved...out of the maximum amount, crunched into a handy percentage after it.

Profile:

This probably didn't show up in the beta profiles for reasons I'll get into in a second.
    But they've been updating it to track information similar to the statistics sheet in World of WarCraft. Yes, WoW, cry me your river of tears, but all who have seen the glory of the stat sheet should covet it for Diablo. It's an awesome thing.

Currently the stat tracking is a very pale imitation of what is in WoW, but here's what is being tracked thus far (in addition to some new functions):

Elite Kills, Recent Elite Killed (Displayed), a Skill Summary, Inventory, this is where you'll change your title, gold collected, highest hardcore level, hardcore kills (presumably in arena), monsters killed (broken up by difficulty), Act I Boss Kills (amount), Act II Boss Kills (amount), Act III Boss Kills (amount), Act IV Boss Kills (amount), "Highest Progress", classes played.

I removed the names of the bosses because of spoilers, but I found it curious that they would go out of their way to track that when they've gone out of their way to discourage boss runs. I also am not quite sure what "elite" kills are. Champions?

Overall, kind of a weak list, but it's definitely a great start.

Future Beta Features?

There's a very strong chance they're going to put in some achievements into the beta soon for testing imo.
    I think they may also be considering testing hardcore. They've added a lot of social/error strings to the files that are hardcore-specific, mostly centered around game creation/errors on trying to join games with normal characters. They get their own button once it is enabled. So it should say "Create Hero" "Create Hardcore Hero" "Delete Hero".

The ruleset for hardcore/softcore is very similar to what was seen in D2. You can, of course, still chat with each other, you just can't interact on a character level. But we knew all that. So either they wanted to test out the functionality of this to make sure it works correctly or else they're just now working on hardcore/achievements internally which I honestly wouldn't be surprised. But hey it's nice to dream.

2. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

Re: Achievement/Profile Information

Nice work, Red, and thanks for the info. Are you a fan of acheivements? I enjoyed them in WoW, for the most part. I didn't like the "grindy" acheivements, but I liked the ones that came out of nowhere, especially in PvP.

3. Risingred

I do, when they're done right. I like ones you can work towards that take skill, but like you I don't like ones that you simply have to grind to, or ones that are pure RNG. That really bothers me.

But fun ones, or ones that simply take time, those are great. For devs, it's a super-cheap way to add content to a game in the way of player goals and it gives us something else to do in games that we would have otherwise played into the ground. I like to achievement hunt, but I'm a sp player mainly so I'm not horribly compulsive about it.

4. Nizaris

Nizaris Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

Interesting... well, it I'm not too surprised that they're building upon previous functionality. I'm just curious as to how they're going to present this without making it look too cluttered.

5. DMB

DMB IncGamers Member

Is the boss count just for the final bosses or do "mini-bosses" (Skeleton King and the likes) count as well?

6. Risingred

So far it's just the four main act bosses.
    This is probably something in its infancy. Maybe it will get its own tab or window.

7. Flux

Flux Administrator

I think achievements would be fun in the beta. They added a little icon to the lower right of your screen that shows achievements and friends online, so the interface is obvious and visible now.

As for Hardcore... honestly, what would be the point? I guess testing and stuff, but the beta is so easy (easier post-patch by far)... I don't think I've drunk more than 3 or 4 potions total since the patch, none in any real terribly urgency, and I've done DH, Wiz, and WD, all without any real attention paid to survival; it's all about getting +Attack in the early going for the dmg boost. I select against vitality gear since it's unnecessary, although higher defense is always nice, if only because higher def gear almost always comes with other useful affix/stat upgrades

8. Risingred

yar, achievements are always a good thing imo. Besides when they would pop up in WoW when you were furiously trying to select something and you'd end up clicking on the achievement popup instead, which brings up the fullscreen achievement window which is YAY!

I don't recall if they had them in the SC2 beta or not, though.

I was thinking more server stuff, like is matchmaking working properly, are normals and hcs being truly separated, is communication between the two modes operating as it should, any HC-specific AH bugs, etc. Normally I would think that they could just look at online features from WoW or SC2 (where much of the code is likely derived from) but they don't have anything like this in those games, two separate game modes operating consecutively on a server.