Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

account hacked and multiple instances of same account? ifr

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by mondo1023, Feb 6, 2004.

1. mondo1023

mondo1023 IncGamers Member

account hacked and multiple instances of same account?

So I was casually playing with my friend when suddenly I start getting whispered from account *rnadgor#2. Seeing how my account is *rnadgor, I thought this was kind of weird. Then the person started ranting about how he(she?) had hacked into my account as was going to steal all my ****. And how he wanted me to log off and change my password. So naturally i didnt log off, and got one of my friends to investigate. I had him try to log in as my account also, and he was able to do so and message me from account *rnadgor#3.

So first of all.... how the hell can the same account exist in 3 different instances? My friend was able to log in as another one of my characters while I was logged in still and was able to play etc... however, he was unable to enter a game as the character I was currently playing, but he was as any other character. Also, while I usually just assume that someone is F***ing with me when this sort of stuff happens, they actually typed out what my password was, and they were right. That is messed up. So...

1) How the hell did someone get my password. I havent downloaded any trojans etc...

2) how the hell can my account be logged into multiple times at the same time?

3) has anyone ever heard of this happening before?

4) how do you prevent this from happening?

I think the problem is solved for the moment because later after I made it clear I wasnt going to log out to try to change my password like he wanted to, he left. I know he did because when I had my friend sign in as me as well, he was *rnadgor#2 this time, not *rnadgor#3, meaning the other guy had signed out. I also had him change my password from his computer. Once again, I am looking for any information on this sort of occurance anyone may have.

2. warlock_666

warlock_666 IncGamers Member

ive always known you can log onto your account twice because thats how i used to mule (before my brother took my other copy of diablo 2 away to university :rant: )

you cant prevent it from happening unless a patch is realeased by blizz to stop it but personally in most cases i think its a nice feature that speeds up xferring.

No idea how the guys hacked your account. My only suggestion is that he didnt 'hack' your account as such but got lucky while guessing your pword (if so he must have got VEEEEEEEEEERRRY lucky.)

as long as he didnt steal any stuff from you when he was on as your account then you should be fine anyway as you can change your password. - even if he had got your account you could have used pword recovery anyway - thank you blizz :)

3. mondo1023

yeah there is no way in the world he coulda guessed my password. its not exactly a guessable sort of thing. If anyone knows anything more about this, please let me know.

4. -Kueller-

-Kueller- IncGamers Member

Do you have a firewall?

5. Rex

Rex Banned

Most people don't download trojans on purpose, but still the problem arises.. he might have got a key-logger installed onto your system. have a firewall check all outgoing traffic. Norton is pretty agressive about those things..

6. mondo1023

no i dont have a firewall per se but i am behind a router, running norton antivirus 2004, just scanned my computer using adaware, and still nothing.

7. spiderman2k9

spiderman2k9 Banned

maybe it was a friendly prank by one of ur friends?

8. mondo1023

yeah i thought so too... but i asked the only 2 people who know my password, and they swore it wasnt them... I guess it still coulda been them though... who knows.

9. frozenmagic

frozenmagic IncGamers Member

but did the guy changed your pass?

10. mondo1023

no... which makes me wonder what the intention was... cuz i dont see why he didnt just do that. who knows....

11. Norton

Norton IncGamers Member

Yeah, give me a download! :D I help out tons lol. I use Norton AV myself, and it works like a charm (and no my name isn't after it, it's after my dog)