Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

account expired - can I make a HC char?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Doffle, May 8, 2005.

1. Doffle

Doffle IncGamers Member

account expired - can I make a HC char?

would appreciate it if anyone could let me know a way to get around the requirement of playing the darn game over again on normal. my buddy and I decided to pick up d2 again after a long hiatus, and my old account is gone. he copied over his brother's d2 directory and can now make a HC char, so the info that you've beaten the game is apparently stored offline.. anyone know which file(s) I need to copy? we tried the save subdirectory (USWest) and bncache.dat, neither worked.

thanks in advance,

doffle

2. VaN_haMMerSteIn

VaN_haMMerSteIn IncGamers Member

Just log onto an account that can play Hardcore. ANY ACCOUNT!
    Or wait, I think I heard somewhere that since 1.10 that rule was killed. I think I am wrong though.

3. BFD

BFD IncGamers Member

I know if you download ATMA that you can create a single player hardcore character through there to get around it. After you've made one then entered and exited a game with that character I suspect you'ld be able to create hardcore characters normally when you're in the game.

4. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Although I've never really tested it, as far as I know the hardcore switch is in the registry:

Go to Start --> Run --> Regedit
    Go to Edit --> Find --> AllowHardcore

If I remember correctly, a value of 1 means that you can play hardcore.

5. Doffle

Doffle IncGamers Member

thank you all very much for your replies!

hammerstein, I did what you suggested, and FYI, it does still work =).

Orphan--heh, good call =) I have to admit I'm a bit embarrassed; I was looking through the registry for like 20 minutes trying to find something in there. But there it is alright, AllowHardcore.

BFD, I haven't tested this but the patch notes from some version or other suggest that you have to beat the game on bnet to be able to play HC. Before I read that I was thinking of just hex editing a single player char to have infinite stats and beating the game in an hour, but I don't think it would work--and in any case it's not necessary, as I've discovered =)

Thanks again guys!