ACC Chances for the Final Four

itsmillertime

Diabloii.Net Member
ACC Chances for the Final Four

As it stands now i forsee three ACC teams with a chance to make it to the Final Four. Not saying all three will make it, but I think the ACC will be represented in the Final Four. I'll break down my analysis team by team.

Duke: Almost always favored for a Final Four appearance, this year is no different. With the emergence of Sheldon Williams, Duke now has a legitimate option on the inside. The diaper dandy Luol Deng can turn in a double-double on any given. Also, unless the teams in the tournament figure out you can't J.J. Redick anymore than about 6", he'll be able to rain threes all tourny long. Not to forget that Daniel Ewing is one of the most underrated players in the country. Duke's defense is also smothering, one of the best in the country, and has been all year. The only problem I see is that they dont have a true point guard. Duhon is more of a 2 guard and that may hurt them.

Wake Forest: Incredibly talented team who is getting hot at the right time. After a six game losing streak in the middle of the season, they have come on strong as of late. The thing I love about this team is that they have three quality guards in Taron Downey, Justin Gray, and the freshman pheonom Chris Paul. The best NCAA Tournament teams always have good guards (watch out for St. Joe's). If Eric Daniels can have some kind of consistency on the inside this can be a very dangerous team.

N.C. State: This is just a tough team to guard. Every big man on the floor can shoot the three. Marcus Melvin has a incredible touch from behind the arc as well as Illian Evtimov. This also allows State to invert their offense by bringing the bigs out and let the guards play inside. Julius Hodge has played well and been consistent all year. The key in my eyes will be the play of Evtimov.

All that being said, I think one of these teams will make the Final Four. However, I'm a Carolina fan. If the Tarheels could stay focused and concentrate in each game for 40 minutes, they could get hot and win the whole thing. Unfortunately for me, I just dont think thats going to happen. I do think, however, that they have a shot of making at least the Sweet Sixteen. In any case, I'm a huge college basketball fan, and I'm really starting to gear up for March Madness!!!

bigD72

Diabloii.Net Member
WRONG!

Georgia Tech is going to the final four!

N.C. State is not as good in out of region play as Wake, Tech, and Duke.

Wake is crazy hot at just the right time.

If Tech has to play an ACC team in the Tournament chances are about 70% they will lose, but other than that I like them to win it all.

And its freaking Duke, its not a real final four without Duke.

Now I will go back and read the rest of your post.

itsmillertime

Diabloii.Net Member
the chance that tech would be playing an ACC team in the tourny is very slim. there is some NCAA by-law which prevents a team from playing another team in its conference until the elite eight. if someone could confirm this, i'd appreciate it.

bigD72

Diabloii.Net Member
Well it will be hard because some think the ACC will get 6 to 8 teams, meaning up to two teams per bracket, or it could be wacko and all the teams in one bracket.

itsmillertime

Diabloii.Net Member
bigD73 said:
Well it will be hard because some think the ACC will get 6 to 8 teams, meaning up to two teams per bracket, or it could be wacko and all the teams in one bracket.
I'm pretty sure there's a by-law preventing that. Teams will have to be transplanted to other brackets. Theres no way the ACC can get eight. Maryland has pretty much played themselves out of a spot. Im thinking six from the ACC. On a side note, during the Kentucky/LSU game today, i saw graphic where some idiot was projecting 8 from the SEC. No way.

bigD72

Diabloii.Net Member
Well it was essentially a guarnteed 6 and 8 if Maryland and FSU won out. Maybe FSU would go if they beat Duke.

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
There is no chance in hell we (FSU) are going to the big dance without winning the ACC Tourney. We had a great season, especially compared to our history of basketball, and next season is looking good, but I dont think we will get to dance this year.

itsmillertime

Diabloii.Net Member
Yaboosh said:
There is no chance in hell we (FSU) are going to the big dance without winning the ACC Tourney. We had a great season, especially compared to our history of basketball, and next season is looking good, but I dont think we will get to dance this year.
i wouldnt be too sure about that. the last time FSU went was in '98 when they had a 6-10 conference record. the fact they are in the ACC may go a long way to helping them. i just wonder how many ACC teams would get in if Clemson won the ACC tournament. i mean would that knock someone else out or just have another ACC team in.

bigD72

Diabloii.Net Member
Just another ACC team I would think, but hell would freeze... twice, before Clemson won the ACC tourney. :lol:

toader

Banned
PSHHH...ACC.

Yea, they are good. Dammit. I hate saying that. But watch out for the Big 12.

My pokes pretty much solidified the Big 12 championship tonite with a huge win over UT. Watch out come tourney time. OSU and UT will both go very deep. I think KU has a chance of making sweet 16 also.

Another sleeper team to watch for...if they get in...is Missouri. They started out ranked #4 in the nation. They went on to have a very bad mid-season, but they have their stuff together again and are playing very well. Its the same group of gentlemen now that were ranked 4th pre-season, they just finally figuredit out. So I think they will make the tourney as a low seed and really piss a few teams off. I see them at least making the 2nd round via a 1st round upset (they will be the underdog in the tourney because of their poor record), and they might even make it to the 3rd round.

All I know is whatever teams are in the same bracket as the (probable) #1 seed St. Jo's has it really easy. St. Jo's sucks...BAD. They barely beat Rhode Island recently. Whoever is the #2 seed in their side of the bracket has it REALLY nice....lets hope its my Pokes if they arent a #1 seed.

GO POKES!

:thanks:

gismo

Diabloii.Net Member
bigD73 said:
Just another ACC team I would think, but hell would freeze... twice, before Clemson won the ACC tourney. :lol:
hey hey. Give our new coach a couple years to get his players in there. Then final four here we come. :evil:

itsmillertime

Diabloii.Net Member
toader said:
All I know is whatever teams are in the same bracket as the (probable) #1 seed St. Jo's has it really easy. St. Jo's sucks...BAD. They barely beat Rhode Island recently.
:thanks:
thats just a silly thing to say. every team, and i mean every team, has an off night, and usually more than one a season. whether the A-10 is down or not, going undefeated is an amazing feat. on top of that, as i said before, good guard play is what moves you on in the tourney. Jameer Nelson is a senior and Delonte West is also i senior (i think). Two senior guards that could start on any team in the nation? Your nuts if you think they're goin home early.

toader

Banned
itsmillertime said:
thats just a silly thing to say. every team, and i mean every team, has an off night, and usually more than one a season. whether the A-10 is down or not, going undefeated is an amazing feat. on top of that, as i said before, good guard play is what moves you on in the tourney. Jameer Nelson is a senior and Delonte West is also i senior (i think). Two senior guards that could start on any team in the nation? Your nuts if you think they're goin home early.

Im gonna make an assumption and say they will be a #1 seed...you agree?

You wanna make a wager or something that says they will be the first #1 seed to drop from the tourney?

Do you also realize that teams like Southern Ill (with only 2 loses is ranked 15th) and Utah State (also with 2 loses is ranked 23)?? You know, St. Jo's is in the same catagory as these teams, its just that these two teams had a couple unfortunate losses. If St. Jo's woulda suffered the same lose, they would be no-name top-25ers like this getting NO respect. I mean...2 losses and they arent even in the top-15...gimme a break.

When compared to the entire NCAA, St. Jo's isnt too bad. But, they are a BAD top 15 team. My guess is every single team in the top 15 would blow them out.

bigD72

Diabloii.Net Member
gismo said:
hey hey. Give our new coach a couple years to get his players in there. Then final four here we come. :evil:
I live about 45 minutes away from Clemson (in South Carolina [as in not GA or NC]), and I will say this. My team is Georgia Tech, they are not always as good as this year, they are decent most years and can play spoiler well enough. But, I can't remember the last time Clemson had a legit team to even play the spoiler role of the ACC.
I seriously doubt the basketball program will ever be good, unless some of the football recruits also play basketball, but getting an athlete that is good in two sports at the college level is hard to come by.
So chances of Clemson winning anything for a long time... teams are going have to up all night before playing Clemson doing this :drink: :buddies: :drink:

itsmillertime

Diabloii.Net Member
toader said:
Im gonna make an assumption and say they will be a #1 seed...you agree?

You wanna make a wager or something that says they will be the first #1 seed to drop from the tourney?

Do you also realize that teams like Southern Ill (with only 2 loses is ranked 15th) and Utah State (also with 2 loses is ranked 23)?? You know, St. Jo's is in the same catagory as these teams, its just that these two teams had a couple unfortunate losses. If St. Jo's woulda suffered the same lose, they would be no-name top-25ers like this getting NO respect. I mean...2 losses and they arent even in the top-15...gimme a break.

When compared to the entire NCAA, St. Jo's isnt too bad. But, they are a BAD top 15 team. My guess is every single team in the top 15 would blow them out.
you talk about someone else not getting respect and yet you say that St. Joe's will be the first number one seed ever in NCAA Tournament history to lose to a 16??? St. Joe's is a small school in a bad conference so they are easily overlooked. A few years ago Gonzaga was in the same boat. A great team in a bad conference. Now everyone knows better than that. Ill take any wager you wanna make on St. Joe's first game in the tournament, be they a 1 or 2 seed.