Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Abstinence pledge doesn't really reduce STDs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Anyee, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Abstinence pledge doesn't really reduce STDs

Well, this is no surprise.

My favorite parts:

99% of all teens who didn't pledge had sex before marriage...and **% of the teens who DID pledge had sex before marriage. So basically, only 11% actually held up to their end of the pledge.

That for Asians, 10.5 percent of virginity pledgers had STDs compared with 5.6 percent of non-pledgers, the biggest gap between pledgers and non-pledgers of all groups, but in the wrong direction.

"59 percent of males who did not pledge abstinence used a condom during sex; only 40 percent of male pledgers used a condom."

Oy. Looks like virginity pledges aren't really that good after all.

2. toader

toader Banned

Hmm...interesting statistics. Maybe they should be focusing more attention on protection AND abstinence, than just abstinence.

3. Akira

Akira Member

i think people have been saying that all along.

4. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

I think that teaching abstinence is a great idea, because it is 100% foolproof in preventing STDs and pregnancy. However, you should also teach people about protection so that if they do choose to have sex, they won't be stupid about it. I too wish that it wasn't the schools' job to teach kids about sex, but too many parents don't know how or wait until the kids are too old to do it. It's a community issue, unfortunately; if your brats are out getting pregnant and getting STDs, the whole community suffers.

5. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

Programs and pledges like this are only as good as the parenting the child receives at home.

6. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Teaching abstinance first should be the priority. You can't get the clap if you don't dip your wick in the sludge. You don't end up with a kid and little chance of a future if you keep your pants zipped.

That said, teaching protection is necessary. You can't depend on kids keeping their word about not having sex when that's all they are thinking about. But first and foremost, teach them that abstinance works better than any other method.

7. Thirtytwoandlost

Thirtytwoandlost Banned

I can just imagine a 15 year old boy, with his girlfriend in her bedroom, parents gone, lights out, Sinatra playing, and any teenager who actually IS a teenager jumping up and saying: "Oh fargdarnit, I have to go, I have apledge to keep, see you in Sunday school"....

8. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Believe it or not, that does happen. I know of a couple of times that has happened. Sarge hit on a good point, but missed the biggie. Religion. The occurances of that happening all involved devout Mormon kids. I'm sure it's not limited to the LDS church, but those are the only ones I know of for sure.

9. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

I would imagine a lot of kids who are born with STD's may make the (imo) morally correct decision of abstaining until marriage.

10. toader

toader Banned

Oh man....sig worthy. I might add that to my sig.

11. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Look, I'd say it's fairly safe to call me a man-*****. But I've never had a preggy-scare nor any form of disease. Why? Cause I don't hit everything that moves or that I can pick up in a bar. I'm more picky than that. I'm also ridiculously careful. It's the way my parents raised me (not the man-***** part... the being cautious part) and I have the sexual education to know how to be careful.

12. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Educate me Anakhama in the ways of love. I feel...lonely.

On topic. Only abstinence teaching is pure stupidity. You have to teach sexual education along with it. It has to be abstinence OR safety otherwise it leads to diasaster.

13. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

:thumbsup:

That's exactly the way I was taught when we had sex ed in my schools. This was in Eugene, OR, in a middle school in the early 1980s.

It's worth fighting against people who don't want to teach abstinence as part of a comprehensive sex-ed program, and insist that only abstinence belongs in school curricula.

EDIT: added "don't"

14. piff

piff IncGamers Member

I guess sex ed. had an effect on me if I rmember it perfectly from two yeras ago. It was basically an abstinance preaching class, but a video physically showed what could happen without protection.

There were three jars of paint, one paint brush, and a handful of caps that would fit on the paintbrush. They did an experiment twice, one time switching caps each time, the other time with no cap. They opened the jars of paint in trial 1, and dipped the brush in and swirled it around. They took it out and put it in the next paint, and smeared it around. And again in the last jar. The paint ended up mixed and tainted. But with the caps, the paint stayed clean of other colors. A very good way to show it, in my opinion.

Anyee, thanks for a good article. We have health forced on us again this year, and I think I will use it for a health article when we get to sex ed. again.

15. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Heh, the age old debate. Always three options:

1. Tell them, "Don't have sex!"

2. Tell them, "Use a condom!"

3. Tell them, "Don't have sex! Here's a condom . . ."

:lol:

16. Chief JB

Chief JB IncGamers Member

Haha. Fargdarnit...what a snazzy word.:bonk:

17. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

When I was in highschool, I was an expert on abstaining from sex.

18. CaptJoe213

CaptJoe213 IncGamers Member

my stepson would actually refuse as well. For him it comes down to religious views, he was raised church of Christ (not by me lol). It makes me and his mother proud that he is willing to wait, she thinks too young, and I KNOW I'm too young to be grandparents.

He was raised with his religious beliefs, but he was also told 'how to handle things' if he chose not to wait. I believe that if we wouldn't have educated him on how to protect himself, and only taught abstinence, I might be watching a grandbaby right now.

I think we should teach abstinence, and suppliment it with how to protect themselves. Premartial sex is against my religious views, but I didn't wait, and my children may not either. I'd rather help keep them from having unplanned pregnacies and STD's, and face whatever heartache knowing they're sexually active brings, than stick my head in the sand and jepordize their health from STD's, and their child's wellbeing by them being pregnant before they are ready.

19. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

That's the best attitude to have, CaptJoe, IMO. Encourage abstinence and teach protection. If the former doesn't work, like it didn't for me, at least they won't be screwing themselves (zing!) over because they're uninformed. Something to fall back on = twice the safety.

20. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Teach your child to play chess and read science fiction, and you won't have to worry about a thing until he's 25.